183 day rule

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderator: Eiger John

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

183 day rule

Postby BernardT » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:22

Hi everyone,

If someone gets a job in Taiwan and gets his ARC, but then has to travel outside of Taiwan so much that he ends up not being able to stay in Taiwan 183 days a year. Would he still qualify for an APRC after 5 years ?

Thanks in advance.

Taiwanease Gentry
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 06:41
Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 4 times

Re: 183 day rule

Postby sk in taipei » Sat Aug 10, 2013 22:06

The answer seems to be NO... unless you qualify for the APRC PLUM BLOSSOM PROGRAM. See article => https://taiwaneasy.tw/article/21/Ge ... ertificate
sk in taipei
Taiwanease Gentry
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 22:33
Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 2 times

Re: 183 day rule

Postby Lili » Sun Aug 11, 2013 18:51

sk in taipei wrote:The answer seems to be NO... unless you qualify for the APRC PLUM BLOSSOM PROGRAM. See article => https://taiwaneasy.tw/article/21/Ge ... ertificate

1) Being the current or was the former adjunct professor, professor, associate professor, assistant professor in foreign universities.
2) Being the researcher, associate researcher or assistant researcher in a research institution.
3) Having a Ph.D. degree or have had received an international academic award.
4) Have written a specialized book.
5) Have engaged in research at a research institution.
6) Have conducted technical research and development at a technical institution.
7) Being experienced in management for over four years.

Wow, that includes a LOT of people...
Mrs. jimipresley: You're scaring the girl!
jimipresley: Lili, you give the Taiwanese culture shock.
bismarck (aka Kal El): I woke up in a strange house next to a naked woman I'd never seen in my life, far from my scooter and I'd lost my house keys. At least I still had my underpants on.
Taiwanease Gentry
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 19:47
Location: Taipei
Has given kudos: 31 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan