an apartment guarantor?

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Dragonbones

Forum rules
1) Please search before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one.

3) Please post separately for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator (right now, that's me, Dragonbones) asking for help. Happy posting!

an apartment guarantor?

Postby MilkTeaJack » Mon Aug 15, 2016 16:03

I have lived in Taiwan over six years and have signed at least four rental contracts. I've never had a guarantor. I just signed a contract for a new place in Yonghe but the landlord requires one. So: asked my boss and apparently there is a company policy that prohibits staff from signing as a guarantor, and I asked one of my Taiwanese friends and they flat out refused. I guess this is a serious deal.

Since I need the place, how do I go about getting a guarantor? What have you done in the past? What are your suggestions? Thanks, folks.
The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver.-Henry Rollins
MilkTeaJack
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 99 times
Has gotten kudos: 80 times

Re: an apartment guarantor?

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Aug 15, 2016 22:10

Tell the landlord you can't find one. If he/she refuses to rent without one and you REALLY want THIS apartment, offer an extra month as security deposit. Or better yet, walk, and find a more reasonable landlord. I've never had a guarantor. It's not a reasonable requirement IMO.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 532 times
Has gotten kudos: 1052 times

Postby Toad » Mon Aug 15, 2016 22:17

What he said. I've had people mumble about guarantors before and I've just said "no". The last guy decided that, instead, he would "have to" let the place via an agent, for which he (not I) had to pay commission (a month's rent) every year in exchange for ... nothing. You can't fix stupid.

Try to get to the bottom of why he wants a guarantor, and as per DBs post just offer the guy money if you really really need the apartment. However, he sounds like he might be trouble.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby Tempo Gain » Tue Aug 16, 2016 16:21

What have you done in the past? What are your suggestions?

Get married :e033:
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 137 times
Has gotten kudos: 169 times

Postby MilkTeaJack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 16:29

Tempo Gain wrote:
What have you done in the past? What are your suggestions?

Get married :e033:

But no one will have me. I tried. Oh well. At least I have my Pokemon.
The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver.-Henry Rollins
MilkTeaJack
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby MilkTeaJack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 16:31

What I ended up doing is showing my landlord my annual income statements from my taxes for the past 5 years. And he's also doing a background check. Not sure what that's about. Not sure what a foreigner who has lived here for 5 years is going to have, but there you go. So far, I still have a place. :eh:
MilkTeaJack
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby SuperS54 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 17:14

MilkTeaJack wrote:What I ended up doing is showing my landlord my annual income statements from my taxes for the past 5 years. And he's also doing a background check. Not sure what that's about. Not sure what a foreigner who has lived here for 5 years is going to have, but there you go. So far, I still have a place. :eh:

I strongly suggest run, not walk away from this one. If this is what he's like when he's trying to entice you to rent the place, can you imagine what's going to happen when you've moved in?
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 48 times
Has gotten kudos: 21 times

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 17:23

SuperS54 wrote:
MilkTeaJack wrote:What I ended up doing is showing my landlord my annual income statements from my taxes for the past 5 years. And he's also doing a background check. Not sure what that's about. Not sure what a foreigner who has lived here for 5 years is going to have, but there you go. So far, I still have a place. :eh:

I strongly suggest run, not walk away from this one. If this is what he's like when he's trying to entice you to rent the place, can you imagine what's going to happen when you've moved in?

Yup. You're crazy to do this! Just asking for a litany of troubles.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

an apartment guarantor?

Postby HeadhonchoII » Tue Aug 16, 2016 20:55

There's no lack of places to rent in Taiwan. No need to deal with this crap (one of the good things about living in a bit of a backwater).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Aug 16, 2016 22:04

Yeah, my bad-landlord-dar is going off too. I'd avoid this one. You've signed it but he hasn't? Normally both parties sign it at the same time and each keep a copy. WHat's up here? :eh:
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 532 times
Has gotten kudos: 1052 times

Postby SuperS54 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 17:33

How did this work out in the end?
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby MilkTeaJack » Thu Aug 25, 2016 17:33

In the end, I took the place. The upstairs neighbor is the land-demons sister and she seems to like me. Also, land-demon has been a no show since I moved in. If he was really such a control freak, he would have poked his head in by now to see how the move is going. That said, all my crap is still in boxes and if he gives me back my deposit, I guess I keep looking.
MilkTeaJack
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby SuperS54 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:49

Good luck so! If you had mentioned his sister lived upstairs in the original post I would have said sprint Usain Bolt style away rather than just run! Hope it works out for you though, at least if it doesn't you can entertain us here with the nightmare stories...
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:14

SuperS54 wrote:Good luck so! If you had mentioned his sister lived upstairs in the original post I would have said sprint Usain Bolt style away rather than just run! Hope it works out for you though, at least if it doesn't you can entertain us here with the nightmare stories...

:lol: The woman two floors above us keeps complaining about the noise we make. We are, honestly, not noisy. The woman one floor above us is very noisy to the point that she's apologized to me in the elevator. However, she's the daughter of the woman two floors above. Is it because I is whitey?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Postby Icon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:54

My own landlady is lovely. She even took care of me when I was sick, going with me all to way to the hospital operation room. However, she is not too fond of my pets. Last vacation when I came down the road hauling my luggage she complained to me that the dog had been barking a lot, probably missed me too much.

The dog had been at a pet hotel, not at home, all the time. :doh:

As if to highlight that point, I told her I had not even picked him up from the hotel yet... and the mysterious dog started barking...from two buildings next to us. :grin:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else

These users gave kudos to the author Icon for the post:
Big Vern (Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:15)
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Next

Return to Where can I find...?