Buying a New 150cc Scooter

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Re: Buying a New 150cc Scooter

Postby SlowRain » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:26

Ah. I just reread the post above. The scooter now appears to come with the camera and ABS together. It wasn't that way when I bought mine. Probably not enough people were opting for the pricey camera, but there was probably a lot of interest in the ABS.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 84 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Postby Kal El » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:43

SlowRain wrote:Ah. I just reread the post above. The scooter now appears to come with the camera and ABS together. It wasn't that way when I bought mine. Probably not enough people were opting for the pricey camera, but there was probably a lot of interest in the ABS.

Yeah, that was my assumption also.

I must say I am thankful I made a thread here and got some info from the lads. I haven't taken delivery of my scooter yet, but I'm already happy I didn't opt for the Yamaha.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Postby jimipresley » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:49

Are you going to get a fresh perm and handbag to go with your new scooter?
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Postby Kal El » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:54

jimipresley wrote:Are you going to get a fresh perm and handbag to go with your new scooter?

Oh, I get it. Because a scooter is "girly", right?
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby SuperS54 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 22:40

Kal El wrote:Ok, lads. This is what I did.
Kymco Racing King 180cc (Because of the lad above!! )

Standard Kymco Racing King 180cc = 96 000
That's the entire price with no ABS or camera (I chose matte blue) + 1800. The extra 1800 = if the bike is stolen in the first year Kymco gives you a brand new bike of the same kind.
Then I asked my mate to add a camera (Front and back = 3800) and I bought additional insurance for the second and third year = 3980.

So the entire bike with cameras and insurance cost me 105 580.

I would say that's a bit pricey as you could get the Kymco Racing 150 for 80K. :idunno:

Bike + 1800 insurance = 97 800 (plus helmet and insurance, registration etc)
Camera, front and back = 3800
Extra insurance (Stolen, second and third year) = 3980
Total = 105 580

Nice, sounds like a good deal. Wouldn't worry about the ABS if you ride half sensibly, I've never had the ABS kick in on my 250 after 3 years in Taiwan traffic, not even sure it would save you in most situations anyway. Would definitely be interested in details on the camera fitted, is this 2 cameras with a central recording unit?
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 48 times
Has gotten kudos: 21 times

Postby SlowRain » Mon Mar 21, 2016 09:02

I've had my ABS kick in a couple times. The first time I tested it out on wet pavement just to see what it felt like. It's basically just a weird clicking sensation in your left hand. The other times were legitimate usage. It does stop you faster, which is nice, but I appreciate not going into a skid. It takes some of the panic out of the situation. There is the worry that someone from behind may not be able to stop in the same amount of time/distance that I can, but it hasn't been an issue in my extremely limited usage just yet.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby SuperS54 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 13:12

Just double checked and realized why my ABS has never kicked in...my 250 doesn't have ABS :oops:
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 48 times
Has gotten kudos: 21 times

Postby sandman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 13:16

Kal El wrote:
jimipresley wrote:Are you going to get a fresh perm and handbag to go with your new scooter?

Not girly. Poofy.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
jimipresley (Tue Mar 22, 2016 21:12)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Mar 22, 2016 14:44

sandman wrote:
Kal El wrote:

Not girly. Poofy.

Well, it's not a manly Kymco Jockey. :wink:

For a "girly" bike it's got some stones. You really need to watch the speedometer as it's got a lot more power and speed than a 150cc. For NT$400/month in gas (add 150-200 every 1000kms for oil) I'll take my "girly" scooter over NT$1000-1200 a day for taxis in Tainan any day of the week and twice on Sundays. :idunno:

Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post (total 2):
TainanCowboy (Tue Mar 22, 2016 20:54) • SuperS54 (Tue Mar 22, 2016 15:16)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bu Lai En » Tue Mar 22, 2016 19:07

That looks nice. I might get one when my current ride finally bites the dust (unless Gogoro puts out a bigger bike).
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 154 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 20:56

Sweet ride.
Check out Modern Cycle on Datong Road. Kymco service center approved with computer hook-up for annual checks - full deal.

Ride Safe!
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.

These users gave kudos to the author TainanCowboy for the post:
Kal El (Tue Mar 22, 2016 21:43)
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Mar 22, 2016 21:46

Bu Lai En wrote:That looks nice. I might get one when my current ride finally bites the dust (unless Gogoro puts out a bigger bike).

I've taken her from 0 on the clock to 18/19km today. No buyer's remorse. It rides really well, and although I drive slowly and carefully there's more than enough power to get away or just in front of the usual crowd. Also, the more I drive it the more I realise just how comfortable the Racing King is compared to the Smax.
Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions on here. If it weren't for this thread I would have likely made a big mistake and bought the Smax.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby SlowRain » Fri Mar 25, 2016 22:14

I had to change a headlight today. What an ordeal. I had two motorcycles previously, so I wasn't aware of the amount of time it takes to simply change a headlight on a scooter. They had to take the side panels off just to get the front section off. While the mechanic was replacing one light, the other one blew (likely from all the jostling). NT$300 a pop, and half an hour of time. Then, to make matters worse, I blew a tire on the way home, so the mechanic made some money off me today. My first bit of repairs.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Kal El » Sat Mar 26, 2016 09:21

SlowRain wrote:I had to change a headlight today. What an ordeal. I had two motorcycles previously, so I wasn't aware of the amount of time it takes to simply change a headlight on a scooter. They had to take the side panels off just to get the front section off. While the mechanic was replacing one light, the other one blew (likely from all the jostling). NT$300 a pop, and half an hour of time. Then, to make matters worse, I blew a tire on the way home, so the mechanic made some money off me today. My first bit of repairs.

That's not too bad. But yeah, I've spent enough time in my mate's scooter shop to see what's involved in changing the light bulbs. Quite a bit of unscrewing and panel removing, hey! :grin:
Front or back tire and how much did it cost to replace? My old Sym Fighter 150 ran at about 1400-2500 a tire, depending on what you bought.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby SlowRain » Sat Mar 26, 2016 09:35

Back tire. I had a choice of NT$1,200 or NT$1,400. I chose the NT$1,400 one. I'll check the brand today and get back to you later.

Two things you may want to be aware of: 1. My scooter seems to use more coolant than what my mechanic was expecting. However often Kymco recommends, you'd better suggest your mechanic top it up a little more frequently. 2. The factory tire on mine wore out. It wasn't an actual puncture, it just plain wore out at 9,500kms. Your scooter may have different tires, but keep an eye on them anyway. However, after replacing the back tire, it's now more responsive in its performance, so I imagine they tightened something else up at the same time.

These users gave kudos to the author SlowRain for the post:
Kal El (Sat Mar 26, 2016 09:38)
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

PreviousNext

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan