Celebs who said they’d leave country if Trump won

For domestic American politics only. For political issues with direct international implications, please post in the International Politics forum.

Postby TainanCowboy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 18:34

:grin:
Dozens of celebrities vowed to leave the country if Donald Trump won the White House, saying they’d flee to everywhere from Canada to Jupiter.
The threat is a common one after any election outcome: Canada’s immigration website crashed from heavy traffic as it looked increasingly likely that Trump would win.
But after the real estate mogul clinched the presidency in a stunning victory early Wednesday morning, some of those stars will face questions about making good on their promise.
Here is a list of some of the celebs who claimed they would move out of the U.S. under a Trump administration.

Actors

Bryan Cranston said he hopes he doesn’t have to pack his bags, but would “definitely move” if Trump won. “Absolutely, I would definitely move,” the “Breaking Bad” star said on “The Bestseller Experiment” podcast. “It’s not real to me that that would happen. I hope to God it won’t.”
Samuel L. Jackson slammed Trump for running a “hate”-filled campaign and said he would move to South Africa if he wins. “If that motherf---er becomes president, I’m moving my black ass to South Africa,” the movie star quipped to Jimmy Kimmel.
Lena Dunham told Andy Cohen at the Matrix Awards that “I know a lot of people have been threatening to do this, but I really will. I know a lovely place in Vancouver.” The star and creator of HBO’s “Girls” has been a vocal advocate for Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee.
Neve Campbell, an actress on the political drama “House of Cards,” vowed to move back home to Canada, while “Orange is the New Black” actress Natasha Lyonne said she would hightail it to a mental hospital.

Singers

Cher tweeted this summer that if Trump gets elected, “I’m moving to Jupiter.”
Miley Cyrus wrote in an emotional Instagram post in March that tears were running down her cheek and she was unbelievably scared and sad. “I am moving if he is president,” the young pop star said. “I don’t say things I don’t mean!”
Barbara Streisand, a vocal Clinton supporter, told “60 Minutes” that “I’m either coming to your country if you’ll let me in, or Canada.”
Ne-Yo told TMZ last month that he’d move to Canada and be neighbors with fellow R&B singer Drake if the country elected Trump.

Comedians

Comedian Amy Schumer said in September that Spain would be her destination of choice.
“My act will change because I will need to learn to speak Spanish,” Schumer said in an appearance on the BBC’s “Newsnight.” “Because I will move to Spain or somewhere. It’s beyond my comprehension if Trump won. It’s just too crazy.”
Chelsea Handler said she already made contingency plans months ago.
“I did buy a house in another country just in case,” the comedian and talk show host said during an appearance on “Live with Kelly and Michael” in May. “So all these people that threaten to leave the country and then don’t — I actually will leave that country.”
Former “Daily Show” host Jon Stewart said he would consider “getting in a rocket and going to another planet, because clearly this planet’s gone bonkers” if the real estate mogul wins.
Whoopi Goldberg, co-host of the “The View”, said on an episode of the talk show earlier this year that if the country elects Trump, “maybe it’s time for me to move, you know. I can afford to go.”
Keegan-Michael Key said he would flee north to Canada. “It’s like, 10 minutes from Detroit,” the comedian told TMZ in January. “That’s where I’m from; my mom lives there. It’d make her happy too.”
Hispanic comedian George Lopez said Trump “won’t have to worry about immigration” if he takes the White House because “we’ll all go back.”

Political Figures

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg joked in an interview with The New York Times in July that it’d be time to move to New Zealand if Trump were to win.
“Now it’s time for us to move to New Zealand,” she said quoting her husband who died in 2010. “I can’t imagine what the country would be with Donald Trump as our president. For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be — I don’t even want to contemplate that.”
Ginsburg later apologized for her comments, calling them “ill-advised.”
Civil rights activist Al Sharpton told a reporter earlier this year that he’s “reserving my ticket out of here if [Trump] wins.”

The problem is, they never leave.

http://heatst.com/politics/canadas-immi ... als-panic/
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Re: Celebs who said they’d leave country if Trump won

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 09, 2016 19:09

We get this in Limeyland pretty much every election. Sometimes, the little luvvies threaten to leave between elections. Trudi Styler recently said she was going to leave and threatened to take Sting with her. I think the silent disinterest at her threat said a lot.

They only ever leave for tax reasons. Nothing else.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby Kal El » Wed Nov 09, 2016 20:47

TainanCowboy wrote::grin:
Samuel L. Jackson slammed Trump for running a “hate”-filled campaign and said he would move to South Africa if he wins. “If that motherf---er becomes president, I’m moving my black ass to South Africa,” the movie star quipped to Jimmy Kimmel.

Indeed. That motherf---er "ig'nant". Good luck, though. :thumbsup: Have fun with the Zuma and Malema circus. Sweet justice would be him renouncing his US citizenship and him and his family being stuck in SA forever. One wonders why he's not keen on going back to where his ancestors came from, though.

Civil rights activist Al Sharpton told a reporter earlier this year that he’s “reserving my ticket out of here if [Trump] wins.”

I'm sure that would be a huge loss to the US and race relations in particular.

Big Vern wrote:They only ever leave for tax reasons. Nothing else.

Which is why their opinions on anything, much less politics, is worth less than a scabie infected dog's fart. :twocents:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Nov 13, 2016 16:27

The key point, TC: "We’ve been so busy defending ourselves from their allegations, nobody stopped to look at how absurd the allegations are."

A university professor having to defend why students should debate among themselves which Halloween costumes are acceptable - as opposed to the university administration agreeing to ban anything that offends. He is then accused of being racist because he forgets the name of one of his students who is a woman of color. He has over 500 students.

I dread this kind of crap taking off in Taiwan. I don't think it will because East Asian students are generally sensible (Ooh! Racial generalization! Victimize!).

And, at Yale of all places. Some of the most privileged people on the planet demanding even more.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cfimages » Sun Nov 13, 2016 16:28

Perhaps they can go and live with all the ones who swore they'd leave the two times Obama got elected.

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post:
Bubbha (Sun Nov 13, 2016 17:45)
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 705 times
Has gotten kudos: 939 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Nov 13, 2016 16:35

cfimages wrote:Perhaps they can go and live with all the ones who swore they'd leave the two times Obama got elected.

It's a fair point, CFI. We get the "I'll leave the UK if Labour wins" guys every four years. The point is none of them ever leave except for tax reasons - regardless of their political affiliation. I have a sneaking suspicion Jamie Oliver may be about prove the exception after Brexit, but we'll see.

This, to me, is why those seeking higher office need to be very careful about using celebrities in their campaigns. Everyone has cottoned on to the genuine motives involved.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Sun Nov 13, 2016 23:20

I'm so tired of US and UK politics. Can't we just get back to the permafrost melting in Siberia and releasing methane gas and how that means we're all fucked anyway??
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Mon Nov 14, 2016 00:20

Kal El wrote:I'm so tired of US and UK politics. Can't we just get back to the permafrost melting in Siberia and releasing methane gas and how that means we're all fucked anyway??

I understand your irritation. However, I'm not sure how moving the discussion to local Siberian politics is going to impact methane release.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Mon Nov 14, 2016 07:42

Big Vern wrote:
Kal El wrote:I'm so tired of US and UK politics. Can't we just get back to the permafrost melting in Siberia and releasing methane gas and how that means we're all fucked anyway??

I understand your irritation. However, I'm not sure how moving the discussion to local Siberian politics is going to impact methane release.

It's not and we're buggered.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby maoman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 08:35

You can relax. President-Elect Trump has assured us that climate change is a hoax, invented by the Chinese. Now that America is great again, the permafrost will stop melting.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post:
Kal El (Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:48)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1852 times
Has gotten kudos: 1339 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Bubbha » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:11

The death of the planet, thanks to the Republicans. Oh joy.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 274 times

Postby Kal El » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49

maoman wrote:

You can relax. President-Elect Trump has assured us that climate change is a hoax, invented by the Chinese. Now that America is great again, the permafrost will stop melting.

I have to admit, I'm trying to remain positive, but his climate policies and appointment of Stephen Bannon don't bode well.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 14:58

Saw they are promoting Argentina as a destination for all the people who want to leave the USA.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 14:08

None sighted yet at the borders:
But the Mounties are on alert!

The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby belgian pie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 23:45

The US has still the second amendment to take care of the moving issue, maybe they don't need to move?
belgian pie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 18 times

Next

Return to American (Domestic) Politics