Clinton = first woman US president?

For domestic American politics only. For political issues with direct international implications, please post in the International Politics forum.

Clinton = first woman US president?

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/26/opini ... ?hpt=hp_c3

This opinion piece argues that the nomination is hers, if she wants it, and outlines her many strengths and experience. Some don't see her accomplishments as SOS as 'great', but I think that's partly the result of the difficulties of the situations (Iran, Israel & the Palestinians, North Korea, Russia, etc.). She's certainly been competent and hardworking, and I would trust her at the helm of the nation more than many of the politicians either side has put forward in recent years. At least one recent poll found she had broad support from voters, as well, with favorable opinions of her from "91 percent of Democrats, 65 percent of Independents and a high of 37 percent of Republicans". Is 37% from the latter group high?

Then again, I don't follow politics that closely, and can usually benefit from seeing some better informed opinions from others. What do you think?
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 542 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Re: Clinton = first woman US president?

Postby Doogie Howser MD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08

I would vote for her, but I think she will not run. I think Biden will make a good president, too.
Doogie Howser MD
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 292 times
Has gotten kudos: 149 times

Postby maoman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:35

She's a smart woman and would make an impressive president, I think. Even Paul Ryan gives her props:
Look, if we had a [Hillary] Clinton presidency, if we had Erskine Bowles as chief of staff of the White House or president of the United States, I think we would have fixed this fiscal mess by now," Ryan said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "[But] that’s not the kind of presidency we’re dealing with right now.”

For some reason I think she'd be more ballsy than Obama, who is a bit of a shrinking violet when it comes to pursuing his agenda. Or maybe it's just the obstacles in his path, which are surely formidable. Still, I think Hillary would be a tougher cookie in almost every respect.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1854 times
Has gotten kudos: 1340 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Icon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:43

Dunno, in Latin America, the "wife of te expresident" running for president has become a cliche. It does not really work. She comes to power saddled with both his and her issues. In this case, Clinton will have a lot of flanks to be attacked from -too many skeletons in the closet to choose from, personal, Bengazi, past scandals regarding trading, etc- to make her presidency as effecetive as it could be.

Yes, it would be nice to see a woman president at a time when in the US there is so much backlash due to the economic recession, and more women friendly policies would certainly reinvigorate the economy, but the second does not exactly follow the first.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Bubbha » Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:48

Hillary would kick Republican ass, unlike Obama, who keeps reaching across the aisle to appease the unappeasable, take-a-mile-when-given-an-inch Republicans. She would be a great president. Look how she kicked the GOP butts on the "Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi!" nontroversy.

Biden is too old, and is seen as too much of a gaffe machine, despite being a very effective negotiator. He's 70 now; that means he would be 74 when he starts and 82 when his second term is up. Reagan was 69 when he became prez; Hillary would be the same.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 274 times

Postby Doogie Howser MD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 15:00

Hillary tried to get health care reform passed, but Obama did it. He got results without worrying about looking good doing it.

Hillary and Biden are probably both too old for the job.
Doogie Howser MD
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 292 times
Has gotten kudos: 149 times

Postby Bu Lai En » Mon Jan 28, 2013 22:54

The Clintons are right-wing hawks. I'd like to see a real inspirational candidate for a change.

These users gave kudos to the author Bu Lai En for the post:
Doogie Howser MD (Tue Jan 29, 2013 09:36)
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 155 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:51

"I'm ready for my cameo Mr. DeMille!"
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Return to American (Domestic) Politics