How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

For domestic American politics only. For political issues with direct international implications, please post in the International Politics forum.

How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Mar 22, 2016 13:14

This thread follows up the one on U.S. Democrats voting in Taiwan.

The results are in from counts around the world. Bernie Sanders won the Democrats Abroad’s Global Presidential Primary by a factor of more than two to one. He received 69% of the vote to Hillary Clinton's 31%.

I downloaded the data and ran a few checks. A few interesting points emerged.

Expat Democrats vote differently than U.S. domestic Democrats. A confounding factor, though, would be that the most politically active Democrats abroad might be inclined to vote in their home U.S. states' primaries, which would mean they couldn't vote in the Democrats Abroad primary.

The top ten countries for Sanders were
  1. South Korea (92.8 : 7.1)
  2. Egypt (89.1 : 10.9)
  3. Viet Nam (89.1 : 10.9)
  4. New Zealand (88.3 : 11.7)
  5. Japan (86.9 : 13.0)
  6. Taiwan (83.2 : 16.5)
  7. Lebanon (82.9 : 17.1)
  8. Cambodia (81.3 : 18.8)
  9. Czech Republic (80.3 : 19.7)
  10. Denmark (79.9 : 19.9)

Clinton beat Sanders in only three countries (out of the more than 50 listed on the site):
  • Singapore (58 : 41)
  • Nigeria (80 : 20)
  • Dominican Republic (87 : 13)
Ouch.


In terms of this area, the places with the most voters participating were, in descending order:
  • Japan (1356)
  • Thailand (918)
  • South Korea (735)
  • Taiwan (364)
  • Hong Kong (351)
  • Singapore (259)
  • Philippines (139)
  • Viet Nam (138)
  • Indonesia (100)
  • Cambodia (64)

In yo' face, Hong Kong and Singapore! :grin:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Just Jennifer (Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:56)
User avatar
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 13:15
Location: Banqiao, Xinbei, Taiwan
Has given kudos: 180 times
Has gotten kudos: 526 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Mar 22, 2016 16:47

cranky laowai wrote: the most politically active Democrats abroad might be inclined to vote in their home U.S. states' primaries, which would mean they couldn't vote in the Democrats Abroad primary.


May be true of voters here regardless of any party affiliation. I voted via my home state, not through any 'party abroad' program.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5133
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 19:59
Location: Donghu, Neihu, Taibei
Has given kudos: 541 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Mar 22, 2016 17:01

You're probably right, but I don't know of a way to test it.

I mentioned Democrats specifically because the Republicans don't have an equivalent primary for Republican expats.
User avatar
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 13:15
Location: Banqiao, Xinbei, Taiwan
Has given kudos: 180 times
Has gotten kudos: 526 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby John Ross » Tue Mar 22, 2016 21:28

Interesting figures but hard to know what to make of them. Not much of a choice - a (democratic) socialistic vs. a crooked center-left candidate - so it's hard to read too much into the results.
Are a lot of the voters in the education field, and as such attracted by Sanders' pro-education funding policies?
Ironic to see a die-hard leftie being most popular in South Korea, a country that owes much of its peace and prosperity to capitalism and American firepower.
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 09:51
Has given kudos: 324 times
Has gotten kudos: 540 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby jimipresley » Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:01

John Ross wrote:Ironic to see a die-hard leftie being most popular in South Korea, a country that owes much of its peace and prosperity to capitalism and American firepower.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. South Korea's prosperity lies as much in its insularity and xenophobia as it does in its reliance on its racist, capitalistic "allies".
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5555
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby John Ross » Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:09

jimipresley wrote:
John Ross wrote:Ironic to see a die-hard leftie being most popular in South Korea, a country that owes much of its peace and prosperity to capitalism and American firepower.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. South Korea's prosperity lies as much in its insularity and xenophobia as it does in its reliance on its racist, capitalistic "allies".

Sorry JP. Can't quite make sense of your sentence. Probably my fault - been drowning my sorrows at seeing Obama in Cuba so rather wrecked - but can you explain that last sentence.
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 09:51
Has given kudos: 324 times
Has gotten kudos: 540 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby jimipresley » Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:17

John Ross wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
John Ross wrote:Ironic to see a die-hard leftie being most popular in South Korea, a country that owes much of its peace and prosperity to capitalism and American firepower.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. South Korea's prosperity lies as much in its insularity and xenophobia as it does in its reliance on its racist, capitalistic "allies".

Sorry JP. Can't quite make sense of your sentence. Probably my fault - been drowning my sorrows at seeing Obama in Cuba so rather wrecked - but can you explain that last sentence.

I'm sorry. I have to get up at 6 AM tomorrow. I have to get to sleep and don't have time to explain the self-evident to you.

I hope that you know that you are my favorite right-wing apologist, and I look forward to drinking some beer with you, come our next hoppy liaison. :heart:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post:
John Ross (Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:18)
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5555
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby TainanCowboy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:24

John Ross wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
John Ross wrote:Ironic to see a die-hard leftie being most popular in South Korea, a country that owes much of its peace and prosperity to capitalism and American firepower.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks. South Korea's prosperity lies as much in its insularity and xenophobia as it does in its reliance on its racist, capitalistic "allies".
Sorry JP. Can't quite make sense of your sentence. Probably my fault - been drowning my sorrows at seeing Obama in Cuba so rather wrecked - but can you explain that last sentence.

Whtever he comes up with it won't be pretty. Or make any more sense than that last effuluent spewing.


back to Al Green.....Image
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:44
Location: Tainan - The Original Taiwan
Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby jimipresley » Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:32

So, tell us, Tainan Cowboy: Is it better to go with racists, anti-gay rights and anti-abortionists and christian fundamentalists than the Gay Party?

Someone's going to rock up soon and tell us it's not about hating niggers and slut bitches who don't shut the fuck up.

It's all about the ECONOMICS! :thumbsup:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5555
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby Dr. Nemesis » Wed Mar 23, 2016 08:31

John Ross wrote:Are a lot of the voters in the education field, and as such attracted by Sanders' pro-education funding policies?

I'm not as well versed in this stuff as most people, but I wonder if this could be part of it. I can't see any stats for Finland on that page (which as we all know is often touted as the place all countries could learn from as they don't teach to test). From what I see of American friends of mine who are teaching back home, they are always making references to how teaching to the test is killing the profession, demoralizing students etc.

I also wonder if Dems around the world can see the failings/benefits of the US in a different light to those at home. Those who are living in and taking advantage of left leaning government policies around the world can see it is not the end of civilization as we know it and on the other end of the scale can see the problems like teaching to the test in places like Korea, Taiwan etc, and Sanders would supposedly improve these things if elected.

I remember (at least initially) Obama was very popular with ex-pats of a Democrat tradition because he is one of us, in the sense that he has lived abroad. You may not agree with him of course, but you cannot take away from the fact he did indeed spend time abroad. Could this apparent international outlook from Obama and Sanders explain it?
User avatar
Dr. Nemesis
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29
Has given kudos: 99 times
Has gotten kudos: 172 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby John Ross » Thu Mar 24, 2016 16:22

Dr. Nemesis wrote:
John Ross wrote:Are a lot of the voters in the education field, and as such attracted by Sanders' pro-education funding policies?

I'm not as well versed in this stuff as most people, but I wonder if this could be part of it. I can't see any stats for Finland on that page (which as we all know is often touted as the place all countries could learn from as they don't teach to test). From what I see of American friends of mine who are teaching back home, they are always making references to how teaching to the test is killing the profession, demoralizing students etc.

I also wonder if Dems around the world can see the failings/benefits of the US in a different light to those at home. Those who are living in and taking advantage of left leaning government policies around the world can see it is not the end of civilization as we know it and on the other end of the scale can see the problems like teaching to the test in places like Korea, Taiwan etc, and Sanders would supposedly improve these things if elected.


Yes, in some ways, but expats here and in South Korea could just as easily point to low taxes and the fact that society gets by with a small safety net.
Living in Taiwan has not changed my politics overall, but has made me rethink certain specific areas.
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 09:51
Has given kudos: 324 times
Has gotten kudos: 540 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby jimipresley » Thu Mar 24, 2016 22:36

TainanCowboy wrote:Whtever he comes up with it won't be pretty. Or make any more sense than that last effuluent spewing.

What's an effuluent, Precious? :neutral:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5555
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby TainanCowboy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:19

Ayy JimiP. ya precious snowflake aspirations are floating to the top...LOL
Its a spelling mistake you've hooked you head upon...LOL...well Good for you!

The word should be :
ef·flu·ent
ˈefləwənt/
noun: effluent; plural noun: effluents

liquid waste or sewage discharged into a river or the sea.
"the bay was contaminated with the effluent from an industrial plant"
synonyms:(liquid) waste, sewage, waste water, effluvium, outflow, discharge, emission
"the effluent from paper making contains many contaminants"

I'm not much of a spelling NAZI, nor have I ever aspired to be.
Most folks I deal with understand context enough to sort out the slight misspellings they find in my work.
And see no need to act precocious about it.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:44
Location: Tainan - The Original Taiwan
Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby jimipresley » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:12

What's a "LOL", Precious? Is it like a full stop, only bolder? :ponder:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5555
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Re: How expat Democrats voted in the 2016 primary

Postby Big Vern » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:02

Christ on a bike, Presley, it's a freaking typo. :doh:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5305
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Next

Return to American (Domestic) Politics