Electric Scooter Reviews and possible Govt rebate

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Electric Scooter Reviews and possible Govt rebate

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:48

"e-moving"
I bought mine about a week ago and really love it. Although not very clear because of my poor Chinese, I think it is made by Suzuki. I bought it at RT MART. 60,000 NT. I know that is about as much as a cheap 125 but I think it is worth the money but I hope the prices start coming down.
Cruising speed at 40
Top speed at 45
Boost button to get it out of the underground parking or steep slope. Just push the red button once and it goes into extra torque for 20 seconds. push as many times as need to get you up the steep slope on a road into the mountains.
Near empty battery to full recharge in 1.5 hours. I used mine for a week for MRT commute/almost daily trips to food stands and groceries and it was on the last bar when I recharged.
Battery weighs about 3 kilo and is VERY easy to pull out and take to your charging station in your home. I'm not lucky enough to be able to charge at the parking garage but if you have a nearby electrical supply where you park for the night, just plug in the adapter on the front console. No need to pull the battery. (although it only takes a few seconds)
No option for a back box for an extra battery and transformer but I think I can get a scooter shop to handle making a bracket for me. If so, the extra battery could be used for longer trips and with the spare transformer, I think most tea shops would let me recharge while getting a tea and snacks. Maybe slip them a 100 nt note. Thus, unlimited range.
EDITED: Weight is about 75 kilo total with battery so very easy to handle and park.
Reverse function - just hold a red button down for the entire time you are backing out.
Electric kickstand. Just hold a button for about 5 seconds and it auto deploys and lifts bike and rider. Another button to auto raise it.
Service I am told can be done at any scooter shop who send it to a dealer specializing in emoving electrics. My RT MART also has a scooter repair and sales department so I asked there. I showed them my RT MART receipt. They said to just take it to them and they would take it to the dealer for repair/replacement of parts/acc. and return at no extra charge.
Comes with a "not so great" but adequate helmet and wheel lock.
Color you want may not be in stock. They only had a pink and white one in stock at my Tucheng MRT. Damned if I will ride a pink scooter. I wanted a black one. It it got here 1 day later. Solid black with no trim except the logo on the side.
Rating 4 of 5 - it loses a point on pricing and no option for a back box.
[u][b][b]Edit 2:[/b[/b]] A friend told me, after purchase, that I may qualify for a rebate (or a subsidy) from the government for switching to electric from fossil fuels. I went to the website for the Economics Affairs Ministry and got English ability. They gave me another number; 0800527027 - No English, so if your Chinese is bad as mine (terrible) have a friend help. I was told that the government will give me a rebate of between 7,200 to 10,000 NT. They said to go back to the the point of purchase and they would have a form that THEY will submit and I would get the rebate (I assume a check but who knows?)
Anyway, I did so and after 1/2 hour waiting, I was told that the rebate is only available for Taoyuan County. Since this is a Taiwan program, I doubted I was being told the truth. Thus, I sent an email to MOE and asked. Sometimes it takes a few days to get a response, especially in English; even though I went to Foreigner affairs part of the website. It would be very easy for a sales person to submit the form and collect the rebate. I have asked the question and will await a response and report as soon as I can. That would certainly raise my evaluation of electric scooters to 4.5. I will up date as soon as I receive a reply. If RT Mart cheated me, somebody is going to get fired and/or prosecuted/ and/or whacked![/u]
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Re: Electric Scooter Reviews

Postby Poagao » Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:05

What's the range for one charge, in kilometers? Is there space under the seat for stuff?
Poagao
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 41 times
Has gotten kudos: 140 times

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:12

Interesting! Do they sell spare batteries, too, and if so, for how much?
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby maoman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:16

Enigma wrote:"e-moving"

Their website makes me want to kill myself. But their yahoo page is useful. Doesn't look like there's that much room under the seat, but there is some....
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1840 times
Has gotten kudos: 1317 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 15, 2012 19:15

re: regarding the above posts:
Yes, there is room under the seat for helmet and raincoat but not much more space. The scooter is small so I guess it is about the same as any 100 cc gas scooter. The problem with space arises when you need to extract the battery, It is below (covered with a . . . . welll. . . cover. So, you you have to remove all the stuff under the seat to get to the battery compartment. Pain in the arse. But . . . .
No. I don't know how much a new battery costs nor an extra transformer. I would take some bills with me if I order, and I will, as soon as I can get a back box.
Range: I don't actually know. It had 1 kilometer on the odometer when I bought it so I assume that was test driving. I have only 1 recharge after which I made a 2 k k round trip to the MRT. round teip) I will check the odometer next time I use it and update this. However, my guess is 40 to 50 k depending on how much you use the "boost button".
One thing I didn't mention before is that also has cruise control. Lonely open road, just touch a button and it maintains that speed until you handle a brake. Then the CC disengages.
So many controls and buttons and features, it;s nice to have the dealer close to home. If I cant figure something out, I just stop by and get more help than in a woman's undergarment store.
Also, when I first bought it, it had a full battery but I wanted to try a recharge to see how it worked so the odometer report that I will post later also includes or should be deducted by about 3 k. also the minus of 1 k for test driving at the factory.
EDIT: I also forgot to mention the 2 speed levels that you can choose. One is for hiway driving and switch it down for town traffic I tried them both and town driving works best for me but I suppose if you have long open road with little traffic, hit the high speed button and cruise control, Console is big enough for bottled tea. PLEASE! no alcohol. I might be there too.EEDIT:: My approximation is 30-40 K. However, I had to use the "boost button 2 time to get out os underground parking,
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Bu Lai En » Mon Oct 15, 2012 20:52

I think these things are the way of the future for Taiwan.

Two things I'd like to see:

Charging stations with free parking at MRT Stations. You park and plug in, swipe the Easycard, it charges your battery and, IF you use the MRT it gives you free parking.

Gas Stations with batteries. You stop at the gas station, give them your battery, they read how much power is left on it, give you a fresh battery and charge you the difference.
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 154 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:35

EDIT: WOW, must have been really wasted when I posted.
Let me re-edit it.

Taiwan is currently working to develop a science park devoted entirely to universal battery design. The idea is to develop 2 styles; one for cars (multiple) and one for scooters (single). I am told by some well placed people that this will be the next BIG export from Taiwan. All cars use the same battery style and scooters the same. Thus on an electric and you see the last bar and a warning light, you had better find a petrol station soon. These stations will be required, at least in Taiwan, to pull your old discharged battery and replace it with a fully charged one.
I was a bit optimistic about range with a single battery with no back up. I got 25 k before the warning light came on. Still, it did me for a week to and from MRT. Charging now. 1.5 hours and - good to go. I will assume that the market will at least meet this recharge time or maybe exceed it. Also keep in mind that when you use the "boost" button for more torgue in exchange for speed, the battery won't last as long. That reinforces my opinion that they should offer an option of a back box carrier for an extra battery and possibly an extra transformer so you can recharge anywhere. Sorry for my poor judgment on my previous post..
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Bunks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:21

Bu Lai En wrote:I think these things are the way of the future for Taiwan.

Charging stations with free parking at MRT Stations. You park and plug in, swipe the Easycard, it charges your battery and, IF you use the MRT it gives you free parking.

Gas Stations with batteries. You stop at the gas station, give them your battery, they read how much power is left on it, give you a fresh battery and charge you the difference.

Great ideas BLE. We have charging stations for those smart cars here. I guess an issue about battery exchange would be you'd end up with stockpiles of batteries. Also pre-charged batteries would lose power sat in a stockroom, perchance. Super fast recharging and greater battery efficiency would be helpful breakthroughs. Good to see these electronic vehicles finally getting out to a wider market. One day the MOTO GP will be an almost silent affair!
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Oct 15, 2012 23:21

Enigma wrote:I also forgot to mention the 2 speed levels that you can choose. One is for hiway driving and switch it down for town traffic I tried them both and town driving works best for me

You mean you can't just throttle up and down as traffic conditions and safety permit?! :eek:
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 19, 2012 02:01

Poagao wrote:What's the range for one charge, in kilometers? Is there space under the seat for stuff?

Extra room under the seat:
Plan on helmet is so inclined plus rain coat ( not a condom - sorry) Maybe you could squeeze a box but the under seat but stuff is fairly sparse. But a hook on the console for a bag hels.
EDIT TO COMPLETE INQUIRY:
Range on one charge at cruising speed and the "boost" to get out of the basement garage drains some. I, again get about 1 week from 1 k to and from MRT station, thus about 14 trips. (14 k) on less than 3/4 battery, but I have to use "boost 2 times to just get outside. I also use it for a about 1/2 k for food stands several times per week. Lasts about a week. Mine had 1 k on the odometer when I bought it, which I assume was test driving. It took about 1.5 hours to recharge, assuming I am making daily trips to MRT and food stands. I think the problems arise on a personal level. Are there hills that require "boost". Figure on 1 week for a recharge for about 1.5 hours per week if you use my travels, i.e. 2 kilometers per MRT round trip. 1/2 mile to food stands almost daily. 1 week but it will vary with use and extra "boost". Ya, not far, After looking at the odometer tonight, I think I got about 25-35 kilometers before it hit the last bar. I know, not far but, it's GREAT for around town and short commutes. Don't plan on a "round the island " I'd wait til you have a back box with extra battery, transformer, and gift of gab for the tea shop to recharge the empty battery and transformer. It wouldn't hurt to have the extra battery fully charged and then try to find some place that will let you recharge your empty battery while you drink tea and snacks, Still . . . .
Admittedly, it is not fast, the range is low, no option of back box. Yet, I love this little go-fer. Battery stuff around home is easy peasy. On the road and a 100 NT bill that is not reported, you can keep a full charge on 2 batteries. Still 4 of 5 but I like this machine so much, I am going to raise it to 4.5 out of 5. I think the beast and my lectric are becoming friends. Progeny?
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 19, 2012 02:53

Dragonbones wrote:Interesting! Do they sell spare batteries, too, and if so, for how much?

I don't know yet because I don't have the back box yet but I plan on buying a back box, bracket and extra battery and transformer. I'll update when I know for sure. I absolutely LOVE this little gal. Parking next to the beast, I can only hope for a young'uns.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 19, 2012 03:11

Bu Lai En wrote:I think these things are the way of the future for Taiwan.

My last conversation with gov't official predict that Taiwan Battery Science Park, not in existence, yet but is coming. Pull in to any Taiwan gas station and ask for a recharge. They will pull the discharged battery abd the user gets a fully fully charged battery; much like bottles of natural gas here. You don't own the battery, it just is just retrieved and replaced, much like we that have canisters of gas containers for cooking, etc. Recharge: Just stop at any gas station and you get a new charged battery, Expect within less that 5 years.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 19, 2012 03:36

Dragon:
No! If you are the road between Hsinchu and Taipei, You can hit high speed and reach max speed and Cruise control. When you encounter heavy traffic, just push the button and brake Then. speed becomes become torgue. Up to you, but you and only you have the choice. Actually, I have tried this and I didn't see much, if any, difference. Love this this little machine anyway.
Recall, that my original problem was keeping charge on my 150 SYM. I only used it 2-3 times per week and thus the battery went south. Now I start the "beast" every time I take baby scoot every every time I go anywhere and let it run for a few minutes. When it starts to grind" to start, I will just have it recharged. Nice to have options. emoving is highly highly recommended.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 19, 2012 03:41

For you people that are afraid to drive a scooter in Taipei, This may be a great option. If anyone wants to give mine a try before you buy, just pm. I can take you to a place with no traffic at first, then some traffic, then heavy traffic. If you can ride a bicycle, you can do this!
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: Electric Scooter Reviews and possible Govt rebate

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 22, 2012 18:34

Be Wary: Read post 1 about getting cheated in the last edit. I will update as soon as hear from MOEA (Ministry of Economic Affairs) you may be eligible for a rebate from the government.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Next

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan