Facepalms on Facebook

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Flounder Forum.

Moderator: jimipresley

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby jimipresley » Mon Jul 31, 2017 06:08

What is this new buzzword: "narrative"? That seriously irritates me.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2536 times
Has gotten kudos: 1571 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby Winston Smith » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:41

Toad wrote: . . . IMO Catholicism is far more prone to being corrupted into something unpleasant because it contradicts some fairly fundamental Christian beliefs - for example, that one should not elevate living humans, dead humans, or idols to the status of deities. Those things were forbidden for very practical reasons - as is evident from the state of societies that indulge in them - not simply because God is a "jealous God".


That's a common misconception.

Q: Do Catholics worship Mary?

A: According to Catholic teaching, it is forbidden to worship any creature, and Mary is created by God — “For no creature could ever be counted as equal with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer” (Lumen Gentium, No. 62). The Second Council of Nicaea in 787 made a clear distinction between the worship due to God alone and the veneration or honor (often called dulia) that can be given to Mary, the angels, the saints and sacred images. Because Mary is the “Queen of the Saints” and the “Queen of the Angels,” she can be accorded high veneration (hyperdulia). Mary, though, can never receive the worship due to God alone.


See also:

The Buddha is not venerated because devotees see him as a God and worship him, but rather because he's the ultimate teacher, the embodiment of enlightenment. The Sanskrit word Buddha means ‟the awakened one,” he who has realized the truth. In Tibetan, the word by which it's translated, Sang-gyé, has two syllables, sang meaning that he has ‟dissipated” everything negative that obscures wisdom and ‟awoken” from the dark night of ignorance, and gyé that he has ‟developed” everything positive, all the spiritual and human qualities that there are, which can be condensed into wisdom and compassion.
Winston Smith
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 14:27
Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 50 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby Bubbha » Mon Jul 31, 2017 23:58

jimipresley wrote:What is this new buzzword: "narrative"? That seriously irritates me.

For a new buzzword, it's pretty old, since I first heard it when I was a kid back in the 70s.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 08:48
Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 271 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby Bunks » Tue Aug 01, 2017 01:39

jimipresley wrote:What is this new buzzword: "narrative"? That seriously irritates me.


It's the term, "mode of discourse," for dummies.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:55
Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby jimipresley » Sun Feb 04, 2018 23:26

"EARTHQUAKE!!!"
So what? Your bedroom rocked around for a minute. And?

STAY SAFE!
And? :facepalm:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2536 times
Has gotten kudos: 1571 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby cfimages » Mon Feb 05, 2018 08:29

jimipresley wrote:"EARTHQUAKE!!!"
So what? Your bedroom rocked around for a minute. And?

STAY SAFE!
And? :facepalm:


Thoughts and prayers are with all the people.
User avatar
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 14:33
Location: Danshui
Has given kudos: 702 times
Has gotten kudos: 922 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 14:03

Thoughts and prayers. I'm taking a knee as we speak.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 13:44
Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby cfimages » Mon Feb 05, 2018 14:54

Where does one take a knee? The movies? The zoo? What is a fun day out for a knee?

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post:
Just Jennifer (Tue Feb 06, 2018 01:29)
User avatar
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 14:33
Location: Danshui
Has given kudos: 702 times
Has gotten kudos: 922 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 15:42

cfimages wrote:Where does one take a knee? The movies? The zoo? What is a fun day out for a knee?

I saw it on some shitty US tv show. Some kind of ball player nobody ever heard of, and it became an Intarweb meme. I'm just jumping on the bandwagon of crappy web-based interaction. I need your thoughts and prayers. You don't need to take a knee.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 13:44
Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby Big Vern » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37

This is an interesting take on attention seeking:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ts-longing

I wonder about the cryptic cries for attention like "Feeling let down" or "Good riddance to bad people" without any explanation. Should I be responding to them? Whenever anyone does, usually with something along the lines of "U OK babe?", there's never any further discussion from the OP.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
maoman (Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby maoman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26

Big Vern wrote:This is an interesting take on attention seeking:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ts-longing

I wonder about the cryptic cries for attention like "Feeling let down" or "Good riddance to bad people" without any explanation. Should I be responding to them? Whenever anyone does, usually with something along the lines of "U OK babe?", there's never any further discussion from the OP.

I find that if I send a PM to the person, they usually are relieved to have someone to tell all to. They just don’t want to tell all in public, so they have to vague-book.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Fri Feb 09, 2018 00:54) • Big Vern (Wed Feb 07, 2018 18:16)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41
Location: Taipei
Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby sandman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:10

I have been using PMs. They have helped me out of a bad place.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 13:44
Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby jimipresley » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:12

maoman wrote:I find that if I send a PM to the person, they usually are relieved to have someone to tell all to. They just don’t want to tell all in public, so they have to vague-book.

It's still attention-whoring. If I need a shoulder to cry on, I'll send you, Big Vern, Kal El or ThreadKiller a PM, rather than write garbage like "Oh, life is hard" or "Feeling terrible!"
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2536 times
Has gotten kudos: 1571 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby Kal El » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:17

maoman wrote:
Big Vern wrote:This is an interesting take on attention seeking:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ts-longing

I wonder about the cryptic cries for attention like "Feeling let down" or "Good riddance to bad people" without any explanation. Should I be responding to them? Whenever anyone does, usually with something along the lines of "U OK babe?", there's never any further discussion from the OP.

I find that if I send a PM to the person, they usually are relieved to have someone to tell all to. They just don’t want to tell all in public, so they have to vague-book.

I've often wondered if that's the case, but I don't PM because I don't want to pry. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
User avatar
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 6895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 23:17
Location: 台南, 台灣
Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby maoman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:43

jimipresley wrote:
maoman wrote:I find that if I send a PM to the person, they usually are relieved to have someone to tell all to. They just don’t want to tell all in public, so they have to vague-book.

It's still attention-whoring. If I need a shoulder to cry on, I'll send you, Big Vern, Kal El or ThreadKiller a PM, rather than write garbage like "Oh, life is hard" or "Feeling terrible!"

That's you. I'm not going to deny a friend compassion just because they express their cries for help differently than I would.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post (total 2):
Bunks (Sat Feb 10, 2018 13:21) • sandman (Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:52)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41
Location: Taipei
Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum