George Zimmerman poll

For domestic American politics only. For political issues with direct international implications, please post in the International Politics forum.

I think George Zimmerman is

a nutjob with anger management issues
10
63%
a misunderstood guy
1
6%
someone I don't know enough about to form an opinion
5
31%
 
Total votes : 16

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby Big Vern » Thu May 14, 2015 15:48

ChinaCat wrote:
Big Vern wrote:We will see. However, if we just take Apperson's claims at face value then GZ was stalking him, GZ waved a gun at him, so he shot at GZ. Those are perfectly acceptable grounds for self defence under US law.


Each of the elements of a self-defense claim must be exist for the claim to succeed. If the State can disprove even just one of the elements, the claim of self-defense fails.


Surely you know that I when I used the word 'those' I was talking about all elements? I wasn't suggesting that one would suffice. .

If he hadn't been such a bad shot and had killed GZ, do you think he'd have been found not guilty?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Thu May 14, 2015 15:54

You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Thu May 14, 2015 16:15

Big Vern wrote:Surely you know that I when I used the word 'those' I was talking about all elements? I wasn't suggesting that one would suffice. .


Yes. I'm just reminding that it is not as easy as some believe to succeed on a claim of self defense. All five of the following elements must exist and if the State disproves even one, the entire defense fails:

Innocence - Generally, the person who initiates a conflict cannot later justify his use of force as self defense. The investigation will hopefully uncover who initiated the incident. If Apperson is found to have instigated the incident, this element will likely be deemed lacking.

Imminence - You can defend yourself with force only against an imminent threat of danger. Apperson claims he was in fear of GZ because GZ "bransished" his gun, which Apperson saw through GZ's heavily tinted SUV window. Apperson will need to explain how that works.

Proportionality - The degree of force you may use in self-defense must be proportional to the degree of force with which you are threatened. Again, if GZ "brandished" his gun, Apperson may be able to demonstrate this element existed.

Avoidance - One should not use force in self-defense if one can avoid the need to do so by making use of a safe retreat. The State might assert that Apperson was the instigator in this incident. As the instigator, Apperson would not be able to argue self-defense unless he could show that he "recovered his innocence." In order to show that he had "recovered his innocence", Apperson would need to demonstrate that he had "exhausted every reasonable means to escape" or that he "withdraw from contact with the assailant." The incident took place in separate automobiles. An automobile can make it easy to escape a situation... This is an interesting issue and the facts as they emerge will be important to this aspect.

Reasonableness - This notion applies to each of the previous four elements of the self defense claim. The issue is whether Apperson's perceptions and conduct were those which a reasonable and prudent person would have in the same or similar situations. If they were not, the claim to self-defense will fail.

Big Vern wrote:If he hadn't been such a bad shot and had killed GZ, do you think he'd have been found not guilty?


Apperson? Too early to tell. But, it isn't too early to see some obvious differences in the facts surrounding the self-defense claims asserted by GZ and Apperson.

Again, however, further investigation may reveal new evidence that strengthens Apperson's claim.
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby Big Vern » Thu May 14, 2015 16:25

It is easier if the other guy's dead.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Thu May 14, 2015 16:53

Big Vern wrote:It is easier if the other guy's dead.


TM was dead. But, because all of the evidence supported GZ's claim/story, GZ easily asserted successfully a self-defense claim.
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Fri May 15, 2015 12:59

Bubbha wrote:Fox News. Limbaugh. Those who lionize Zimmerman as a victim.


You stated that the conservative media celebrates and idolizes those who get away with murdering innocent minorities.

Zimmerman was found by a jury to have acted in self defense against an attack by Trayvon Martin. Thus, GZ did not murder Trayvon Martin and Trayvon Martin was not an innocent minority.

Care to try again?

Ya still got a big fat nuthin', eh? :lol:
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Sun May 17, 2015 10:34

You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Tue May 19, 2015 10:35

Blake Carrington wrote:Do you mean he has been treated unjust by the 'state' that found him innocent and let him walk or the 'MSM' that simply reports on his every appearance on the police blotter? IF, GZ could stay out of trouble he would be out of the news and the media would leave him alone.

Please point to me where he is mistreated because since the case has ended he has only made the news when he has been arrested.

So, to quote Aretha, 'who's zoomin who?' in this scenario, sounds to me like feline trickery on your part.

And as for this 'ignorant half' of the US that wants to hurt him, why has he been going back to the police with domestic violence issues involving females? I know you right wing guys hate women (lol) but c'mon calling them the 'ignorant half'? You can do better.

Sounds to me like you are the one creating the strawman argument here my friend.

No one has harmed GZ he simply likes to act out on women (what a guy!).




Meanwhile,



The police report also notes Apperson as saying “I hope I got him [Zimmerman] this time.”
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:01

Mick wrote:Take the Freddie Gray incident recently, can you tell who's calling the shots, the mob or the states attorney? From where I'm sitting it looks like the mob (and they know it) and eventually if and when these cases go to trail, assuming the justice system works as it should most of if not all these charges are going to be dismissed. That's a problem when just a few hashtags incite a misinformed mob to riot and pressure an attorney to do their bidding, I guess Baltimore should prepare itself for more rioting and I'm sure whoever dismisses the charges will be labeled a racist and probably doxed too, lovely world we live in with vigilante justice at the hands of the mob. #fuckthepolice, move along move along nothing to see here, just the usual suspects supporting GZ.


Some strange things going on in connection with the Freddie Gray case:

Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby plans to seek a protective order that would block the release of Freddie Gray's autopsy report and other "sensitive" documents as she prosecutes the six police officers involved in his arrest.

The Baltimore Sun Times reports that four of the Mayor’s highest ranking staff have quit since six Baltimore police officers were charged in the death of Freddie Gray. Shannon Cosgrove, deputy director of the office resigned Tuesday. Angela Johnese, director of the criminal justice office, and Heather Brantner, the mayor’s Sexual Assault Response Team coordinator, left their positions in the mayor’s office on May 22. LeVar Michael, who headed the office’s nonviolent programs, left two weeks ago. Not one of the departed provided a reason for leaving.

:eh:
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:57

You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby ChinaCat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:01

This is getting curiouser and curiouser:

New information comes to light showing that Prosecutor Marilyn Mosby is an integral actor in the circumstances surrounding Freddie Gray’s arrest and death, rather than simply an objective prosecutor addressing a criminal case.

Baltimore Sun wrote:About three weeks before Freddie Gray was chased from a West Baltimore corner by three Baltimore police officers — the start of a fatal encounter — the office of prosecutor Marilyn Mosby asked police to target the intersection with "enhanced" drug enforcement efforts, court documents show.


Lt. Kenneth Butler, a shift commander for more than 10 years, and a representative for an advocacy group for women and minority officers, told the Sun that he had never before seen such orders come from the state’s attorney’s office. Lt. Butler stated that he knew exactly what the consequences of "enhanced" drug enforcement efforts would be:

Lt. Butler wrote:They want increased productivity, whether it be car stops, field interviews, arrests — that’s what they mean by measurables. You have to use whatever tools you have — whether it be bike officers, cameras, foot officers, whatever you have — to abate that problem. So you’re going to have to be aggressive.


The source of the order is Prosecutor Mosby herself, according to emails discovered by the defense that were sent to the six police officers criminally charged in Gray’s death. In one email, Joshua Rosenblatt, the division chief of Mosby’s Crime Strategies Unit stated:

Joshua Rosenblatt, the division chief of Mosby’s Crime Strategies Unit wrote:State’s Attorney Mosby asked me to look into community concerns regarding drug dealing in the area [where Gray would subsequently be arrested] . . . [by] targeting that intersection for enhanced prosecutorial (and hopefully police) attention.


Apparently, Rosenblatt’s note was sent to Baltimore police Major Osborne Robinson, who forwarded the same to supervisory officers working the relevant neighborhood. Robinson apparently informed these supervisory officers to begin “daily narcotics initiative . . . effective immediately” in the neighborhood, and cautioned that he would be collecting “daily measurables” on their performance.

All of this creates a situation where Prosecutor Mosby herself is an important part of the case and as such she is a central witness. She is a witness and the prosecutor at the same time. This gives rise to several problems with respect to ethics violations. Most jurisdictions have rules prohibiting a lawyer from trying a case AND providing witness testimony before a jury. Moreover, having had a significant role in the circumstances that led to the arrest of Freddie Gray, she has an interest in creating an appearance that her role is only incidental. One way to do that is to emphasize the role of the police in the arrest. Many will regard this as an obvious conflict of interest. Additionally, it appears that the area targeted for the "enhanced" drug enforcement efforts was her husband’s district (he's a city council politician, I believe).
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
User avatar
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:15
Location: Earth
Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby maoman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 07:39

Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41
Location: Taipei
Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby TainanCowboy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 09:38

In America he is allowed to do things like this.

It's called ....Freedom.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3805
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:44
Location: Tainan - The Original Taiwan
Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby maoman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32

TainanCowboy wrote:In America he is allowed to do things like this.

It's called ....Freedom.

Absolutely. :thumbsup: And it's great that we can see what kind of people he associates with. It helps us understand his character. I look forward to more insights. (And you know there will be more!)
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41
Location: Taipei
Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: George Zimmerman poll

Postby maoman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:35

He's back in the news, again. :doh:

George Zimmerman Kicked Off Twitter for Doxxing, Posting Nudes of Ex-Girlfriend

George Zimmerman, the man who has proven his ability to react calmly and rationally in the face of conflict, was finally kicked off of Twitter on Thursday for doxxing and posting nudes (which he claimed aren’t actually nudes) of his ex-girlfriend.

In a series of tweets, the bigoted folk hero accused a woman of sleeping with a “dirty Muslim,” and posted two topless photographs of her, as well as her email address and phone number. He encouraged his followers to flood her inbox and voicemail.

Zimmerman has a history of being taken into police custody over domestic violence disputes. New York reports:

Since being found not guilty in the Trayvon Martin shooting, Zimmerman has been taken into police custody multiple times over allegations of domestic violence. In September 2013, his then-wife Shellie called 911 to say that he had punched her father in the nose and threatened her with a gun; that November, he was charged with aggravated assault, battery domestic violence, and criminal mischief after threatening his girlfriend with a shotgun, shoving her, and breaking her belongings; and this past January, he was arrested yet again for throwing a wine bottle at another girlfriend.


Classy guy. I'll bet a lunch at the Taipei burger joint of your choice that he shows up in the news again within 6 months. Any takers?
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41
Location: Taipei
Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

PreviousNext

Return to American (Domestic) Politics