High-speed rail to raise prices 10%

High-speed rail to raise prices 10%

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Aug 07, 2013 09:20

Starting in October (probably), tickets on the high-speed rail will be more expensive, with a 9.7% hike going into effect. For example, the price of a round-trip ticket between Taipei and Gaoxiong will increase by NT$280.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 180 times
Has gotten kudos: 526 times

Re: High-speed rail to raise prices 10%

Postby Taffy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44

Didn't they just "categorically deny" that there would be price rises a few days ago?
Taffy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 227 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby sandman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 13:56

Taffy wrote:Didn't they just "categorically deny" that there would be price rises a few days ago?

I don't know. NT$140 extra on a Taipei-Kaohsiung trip doesn't seem excessive to me, though. They haven't raised prices for something like 7 years or so, right? Kneejerk pontificating from the mouthbreathers, is all.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby Taffy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 14:04

sandman wrote:
Taffy wrote:Didn't they just "categorically deny" that there would be price rises a few days ago?

I don't know. NT$140 extra on a Taipei-Kaohsiung trip doesn't seem excessive to me, though. They haven't raised prices for something like 7 years or so, right? Kneejerk pontificating from the mouthbreathers, is all.

Oh, I don't mind the price rise. It's fine. It's that one day they issue blanket denials and the next day they raise prices. Couldn't they just say "yes, we are considering price rises"?
Taffy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 227 times

Postby sandman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 14:07

Taffy wrote:
sandman wrote:

Oh, I don't mind the price rise. It's fine. It's that one day they issue blanket denials and the next day they raise prices. Couldn't they just say "yes, we are considering price rises"?

Eh? You mean like in an actual civilized country? Why would they do that? :lol:
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby engerim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 14:10

Its still relatively cheap and these days it can get crowded. I was quite surprised when they reported 2011 as profitable.
They still got to pay off the huge debts so I guess that and raising energy prices for them to do a hike.
What happened to these guys? http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/a ... 2003559927
Looking forward to the Nangang section to open in .... 2016.
engerim
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 226 times
Has gotten kudos: 220 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Wed Aug 07, 2013 14:19

Taffy wrote:
sandman wrote:

They had to delay the price rises due to political optics reasons, they were supplied to be introduced already but put back until October.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times

Return to Travel in Taiwan