Legislator proposes eliminating renunciation requirement

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC passport and military conscription issues.

Moderator: Eiger John

Re: Legislator proposes eliminating renunciation requirement

Postby Icon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 14:52

Indeed. I am curious about the political affiliations of the recipients.

It is just as back in the old days, as per my coworkers accounts. And that is good for some and bad for all.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:43

Some figures on the numbers of Taiwanese becoming U.S. citizens in recent years:

2003 6,742
2004 7,889
2005 8,295
2006 8,819
2007 7,486
2008 8,711
2009 7,606
2010 5,612
2011 5,065
2012 4,573
2013 5,255
2014 4,326
2015 4,420
2016 4,043
TOTAL 2003-2016: 88,842

AVG: 6,346 per year

About 60% of those are women.

Nearly half of the total are in California.

source: Profiles on Naturalized Citizens
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 171 times
Has gotten kudos: 494 times

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Mar 26, 2018 21:09

No further news on my own application. The wheels of gummit turn slowly. Any of y'all having any better (or worse) luck?

The Taiwan News has a story on how a Turkish TV show has received a Taiwan ID card without renunciation. Congrats to him.

That brings the total to 23.

Popular Turkish comedian and TV host Ugur Rifat Karlova (吳鳳), completed the process of becoming a Taiwanese citizen by receiving his Taiwan National ID card and naturalization certificate yesterday (March 21).

Under the new Standards for Defining High-Level Professionals for Naturalization (歸化國籍之高級專業人才認定標準) passed in March of last year, Rifat, 37, was able to become naturalized as a Taiwanese citizen while not having to relinquish his Turkish citizenship as the new law provides a special exemption to foreign nationals with unique talents in technology, economics, education, sports, culture and arts, and other areas. According to the government, 13 foreign professionals were naturalized under the new standards last year and 10 have become citizens so far this year, representing a meager total of 23 since the regulation into effect....

EDIT: Actually, his naturalization was reported on back in January. (Maybe he gets a new story just because of the card.) Back then the total was 23, which seems to indicate there have been no more approvals in the past two months.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Kal El » Mon Mar 26, 2018 21:35

cranky laowai wrote:No further news on my own application. The wheels of gummit turn slowly. Any of y'all having any better (or worse) luck?

The Taiwan News has a story on how a Turkish TV show has received a Taiwan ID card without renunciation. Congrats to him.

That brings the total to 23.

Popular Turkish comedian and TV host Ugur Rifat Karlova (吳鳳), completed the process of becoming a Taiwanese citizen by receiving his Taiwan National ID card and naturalization certificate yesterday (March 21).

Under the new Standards for Defining High-Level Professionals for Naturalization (歸化國籍之高級專業人才認定標準) passed in March of last year, Rifat, 37, was able to become naturalized as a Taiwanese citizen while not having to relinquish his Turkish citizenship as the new law provides a special exemption to foreign nationals with unique talents in technology, economics, education, sports, culture and arts, and other areas. According to the government, 13 foreign professionals were naturalized under the new standards last year and 10 have become citizens so far this year, representing a meager total of 23 since the regulation into effect....

EDIT: Actually, his naturalization was reported on back in January. (Maybe he gets a new story just because of the card.) Back then the total was 23, which seems to indicate there have been no more approvals in the past two months.

Worst law ever. Keep it the way it was. :twocents:

Edit: And he gets a little book with his naturalization certificate and all. I didn't get shit except my letter of notification and my ID Card. Propaganda BS.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Postby Icon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 22:31

23 that we know of. Under the table I bet there are plenty.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Wed Mar 28, 2018 07:17

Icon wrote:23 that we know of. Under the table I bet there are plenty.

Which, knowing politicians, is very likely why they amended the law in such a way to begin with.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:34

Nine more people just made the cut, bringing the total to thirty-two.

The nine professionals newly added to the list all possess specific qualifications in the categories of education, economics, medicine and human rights, the ministry said.

Among them, an Iranian professor whose background is in electrical engineering, has even designed an "emotional" robot and is well-renowned on the international stage, it said.

Meanwhile, a professor from the United States whose expertise is in biotechnology and artificial intelligence is also among the list of applicants approved by the ministry.

In the science and technology category, foreigners can hold citizenship of the Republic of China (Taiwan) and their original nationality if they possess skills in high-value technical disciplines such as artificial intelligence, Internet of Things (IoT), nanotechnology, robotics and virtual reality.

Qualified foreign nationals under the education criteria include those employed at local universities as assistant professors or above, as well as individuals who have had articles published in major international journals, according to the MOI.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Icon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 00:01

Please note the news says they changed the rules to fit these select 9 in.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby maoman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57

Icon wrote:Please note the news says they changed the rules to fit these select 9 in.

Link? How were the rules changed?
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Apr 19, 2018 15:38

The Taiwan News offers some details on the latest batch.

Five are in the field of education:
  • an Iranian associate professor who has a background in electrical and computer engineering and is internationally renowned for inventing an "emotional" robot
  • an American biotechnology professor who specializes in artificial intelligence and biomedical imaging
  • a professor of opera studies from New Zealand
  • an American professor of history who wrote the book Becoming Yellow: A Short History of Racial Thinking
  • a Malaysian professor of Southeast Asian politics and education who has been teaching in Taiwan for a long time has also been selected for outstanding achievements in the field of academic research and making an outstanding contribution to education in Taiwan

The other four are:
  • a man from Finland who specializes in information and communications technology and has become an international program design expert
  • a Swiss woman who received an EMBA from the Lausanne Institute of International Management in Switzerland and has become specialized in marketing strategy
  • a Malaysian ophthalmologist who has been practicing in Taiwan for 10 years
  • an American man who has been working to safeguard the rights and interests of foreign spouses and related human rights

(The descriptions are from the article, not mine.)

Not everyone fits the profile of high-tech talent or aged missionaries. Numbers 1, 2, and 6 sound like the best fits for how such decisions have been made in the past.

I must admit to scratching my head a bit about the Swiss woman (a marketing strategist with an EMBA). Not that I'm against her getting dual nationality. But at least from the limited description there, it seems the MOI should be letting in a lot more applicants.

Who's the American activist? At first I thought, "Well, it's about time they gave it to Hartzell." But I wonder if it would be against his principles to even apply to the gummit for this.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Big Vern » Thu Apr 19, 2018 18:56

It has to be Hartzell. Very well-deserved. :bravo:

I feel the urge to correct Keoni's article. A lot more than "32 foreign professionals have been able to obtain Taiwanese citizenship while not having to give up their original nationality". I work with a Moroccan who did it without any hassle. Yes, I know, a bit pedantic - but it's important to make a bit of an effort when dishing out facts. :grandma:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Postby Icon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 20:42

maoman wrote:
Icon wrote:Please note the news says they changed the rules to fit these select 9 in.

Link? How were the rules changed?

Their professional categories were not included in the original batch for expedited non renunciation, or so I think it says in the CNA article. It says they had to amend the new law to allow those too.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 20:43

Big Vern wrote:It has to be Hartzell. Very well-deserved. :bravo:

I feel the urge to correct Keoni's article. A lot more than "32 foreign professionals have been able to obtain Taiwanese citizenship while not having to give up their original nationality". I work with a Moroccan who did it without any hassle. Yes, I know, a bit pedantic - but it's important to make a bit of an effort when dishing out facts. :grandma:

Hope it is him. He deserves that but with a ceremony like the priests.

And those numbers are not Keoni's fault. The government is being really obscure about this batch of nationalizations. Heck, you say some people got it easy. I am not so sure. My co-worker also tried to start and was met with a wall of secrecy.

To me, this whole issue stinks like forgotten garbage.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Thu Apr 19, 2018 21:10

Icon wrote:

And those numbers are not Keoni's fault. The government is being really obscure about this batch of nationalizations. Heck, you say some people got it easy. I am not so sure. My co-worker also tried to start and was met with a wall of secrecy.

To me, this whole issue stinks like forgotten garbage.

If someone's home country, such as Morocco, doesn't allow its citizens to give up their citizenship then they are allowed to have ROC. Strange reciprocal logic.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:04

Icon wrote:

Upon further checking, it's gotta be him. I looked on the MOI website, which says the American is "Hé xiānsheng" (何先生). Hartzell's Mandarin name is Hé Ruìyuán (何瑞元).

Meanwhile, my application has cleared at least the Ministry of Culture. :eek:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 2):
Icon (Mon Apr 30, 2018 23:46) • Just Jennifer (Thu Apr 26, 2018 09:37)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

PreviousNext

Return to Nationality Issues