Marriages of Taiwanese w foreigners: the numbers by country

Moderator: Eiger John

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Marriages of Taiwanese w foreigners: the numbers by country

Postby cranky laowai » Tue May 14, 2013 13:46

Marriage Registrations by Nationality, 2004-2012

Grand Total 2,539,596
ROC (i.e., Taiwanese marrying other Taiwanese) 2,323,351
PRC (not counting HK and Macau) 116,296
Vietnam 44,005
Indonesia 10,988
Japan 8,467
Thailand 5,807
U.S.A. 5,780
Hong Kong & Macau 4,421
Other 3,212
Philippines 2,707
Malaysia 2,397
Canada 1,714
Myanmar 1,691
Cambodia 1,654
South Korea 1,233
U.K. 1,097
Australia 1,056
Germany 870
France 839
Singapore 775
Overseas Chinese 618
New Zealand 296
South Africa 289
Laos 23
Mauritius 9
Swaziland 1
Lesotho 0

source: http://sowf.moi.gov.tw/stat/month/m1-13.xls

Notes:
  • Marriages between Taiwanese and Americans, Canadians, Koreans, Britons, and Australians rose sharply during 2004-2012.
  • Marriages between Taiwanese and Southeast Asians fell sharply during the same period.
  • Marriages between Taiwanese and PRC citizens reached their peak (34,685) in 2003, before the period covered by the numbers above, so the total number for all years is much greater in the case of PRC citizens than the chart may imply.
  • The majority of marriages between Taiwanese and foreigners are between Taiwanese men and foreign women.
  • These figures probably don't count marriages performed overseas until such time as they are registered in Taiwan.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Dragonbones (Wed Nov 19, 2014 16:58)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 528 times

Re: Marriages of Taiwanese w foreigners: the numbers by coun

Postby cranky laowai » Tue May 14, 2013 14:52

The figures in the graph are as of December 2011, I believe.

cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Kal El » Tue May 14, 2013 15:04

The PRC figures are pretty much what I expected, but surprised that New Zealand beats out South Africa. Again, must be because many South Africans come here with a wife or gf. Interesting to see that Vietnam has become such a popular country for foreign brides.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby cfimages » Tue May 14, 2013 15:30

Surprised there are so many Australians. Basically the same as the UK despite having only one third the people.

And I don't know any of them.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 706 times
Has gotten kudos: 941 times

Postby divea » Wed May 15, 2013 10:42

cfimages wrote:Surprised there are so many Australians. Basically the same as the UK despite having only one third the people.

My guess is and I may be wrong, that all those Aussies are of Taiwanese or Chinese origin. So they are foreigners in TW coz they have foreign passports. :idunno:
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Wed May 15, 2013 16:29

Obviously they won't all be dual nationals, but a fair number will be. Taiwan also should have a relatively higher number of Aussies and NZers simply because of proximity and business and cultural links.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Thu May 16, 2013 01:44

divea wrote:
cfimages wrote:Surprised there are so many Australians. Basically the same as the UK despite having only one third the people.

My guess is and I may be wrong, that all those Aussies are of Taiwanese or Chinese origin. So they are foreigners in TW coz they have foreign passports. :idunno:

Not sure about that. Dual citizens will usually enter Taiwan on their ROC passports. It's just easier I think.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1851 times
Has gotten kudos: 323 times

Postby Taffy » Thu May 16, 2013 09:32

Just Jennifer wrote:Not sure about that. Dual citizens will usually enter Taiwan on their ROC passports. It's just easier I think.

Unless they want to attend an international school or avoid military service.
Taffy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 227 times

Re: Marriages of Taiwanese w foreigners: the numbers by country

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:23

Something related to this topic in the news today: 11 percent of the students in Taoyuan County younger than high school age have a foreign-born parent.

One in every nine students in Taoyuan County’s elementary and junior-high schools has a foreign-born parent, a sharp rise from 2.1 percent recorded 10 years ago, the latest figures from the county government show. The number of students under 15 years of age from new immigrant families has grown significantly over the past decade, from 5,488 in 2004 to 23,877 at the end of last year, the county government said. The trend is particularly noticeable since the overall number of elementary-school and junior-high students dropped from 266,050 to 219,051 over the 10-year period, it said. About 86 percent of the foreign-born parents are from China (37.1 percent), Vietnam (30.6 percent) and Indonesia (18.4 percent), statistics show. More than half of the children from such families attend school in Zhongli (中壢, 18.6 percent), while the others go the school in Taoyuan (15.1 percent), Pingzhen (平鎮, 10.7 percent) and Yangmei (楊梅, 9.2 percent), the county government said.

source
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby HeadhonchoII » Wed Nov 19, 2014 16:44

Those stats don't make any sense, but hey, no surprise given the source.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 19, 2014 22:53

kudos for the stats....i would like to see those stats in a few years, since the gov clamped down on zhainans marrying mail order brides from SE asia. The old bounty has risen in recent years from the normal 300 K up to around 500K..us white males getting married to locals will probably 'stabilize'...interested what's going to happen to the dually passport problem that is being debated right now.
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 23 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 06:45

It's good to freshen up the gene pool. Too much inter-marrying among the locals is a bad thing.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Nov 20, 2014 09:03

I think it's generally accepted that miscegenation is beneficial for a gene pool, although probably more in avoiding the hereditary problems of inbred communities than in any particular genetic advantage. If you want to see what happens with an, ahem, close-knit population take a look at the British royal family :lol: .

Having said that, a Taiwanese professor recently informed me that mixed-race children have a higher risk of eye defects. She was convinced she was right too :ponder: .
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Return to Marriage in Taiwan