Mayweather Mcgregor

Whether it's footie or football, tennis or dodgeball, Taiwanease has forums to talk about your favorite sport with like-minded souls.

Moderator: jimipresley

Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Sun Mar 12, 2017 13:18

Assuming this cynical nonsense takes place, and even with Floyd confirming it I'm still not sure, would anyone in her/his right mind pay to watch it?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... egor-fight
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Fri May 26, 2017 10:16

It looks like the fight is on. De La Hoya is calling it a "farce" which could destroy boxing.
:lol: Pissed off that he failed to land an easy pay day for one of his boys.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Mon Jun 19, 2017 18:19

I appreciate that I'm talking to myself. However, I'll continue to bear with me.

Does McGregor have a 0.00% chance? Almost, but not quite. He's bigger, younger, and fresher. 40/1 on a McGregor win in rounds one and two sounds to me like a reasonable outside punt. A lucky Celtic cross might just happen. Having said that, when Mosley landed one flush on Mayweather the money took it and proceeded to win every round. Mosley appeared so shocked that Mayweather had shipped one he failed to follow up, though.

:idunno: Mayweather enters the ring cold and rusty. McGregor knows he has no chance other than an early KO. Swings wildly and gets lucky. Could happen.

EDIT: I'm wasting my money :lol:

Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 03:01

McGregor is at 4/1 now so there is serious money being laid out on him. Personally, this fight isn't destroying boxing, the boxing federations are destroying boxing. Too many facking belts and titles in each division. Undisputed, unified, super champion... its like crazy time at the pie chart factory. Expect more hybrid fights if this belt nonsense continues.

These users gave kudos to the author Bunks for the post:
Big Vern (Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:25)
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:55
Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Kal El » Tue Jun 20, 2017 08:12

Big Vern wrote:EDIT: I'm wasting my money :lol:

Not necessarily. Here's another take on the fight.

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
User avatar
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 6895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 23:17
Location: 台南, 台灣
Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35

Bunks wrote:McGregor is at 4/1 now so there is serious money being laid out on him. Personally, this fight isn't destroying boxing, the boxing federations are destroying boxing. Too many facking belts and titles in each division. Undisputed, unified, super champion... its like crazy time at the pie chart factory. Expect more hybrid fights if this belt nonsense continues.


The odds are seriously wrong on McGregor - he should be in the Buster Douglas odds range. To be fair to Douglas, the man could jab. Do you remember in the build up to Tyson-Lewis when Tyson took his shirt off and showed he was ripped? His odds were slashed.

If I had the balls I'd put 21 grand on Mayweather at seven to one on - that's what the professional punters will be doing. Unfortunately, my wife would have my balls if she found out. I'll stick with what I think is a value bet of a McGregor first or second round fluke. I know it's not going to happen, but it's a fun bet and 40/1 would make my day.

I don't know much about MMA, but my mate does and he was explaining to me that the problem the fighters have is they are trained not to commit to the punch. Supposedly they're worried about losing balance and getting taken down. They throw martial arts punches, not boxer punches. It's very difficult to change ingrained habits, but McGregor's been training as a boxer for a while now so perhaps his trainer has changed him. :idunno:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Kal El » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38

Big Vern wrote:I don't know much about MMA, but my mate does and he was explaining to me that the problem the fighters have is they are trained not to commit to the punch. Supposedly they're worried about losing balance and getting taken down.

Hahaha. Ok.

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
User avatar
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 6895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 23:17
Location: 台南, 台灣
Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57

Wearing ten ounce gloves makes a big difference, Kal El. But, as I said, I don't know much about MMA. I sparred with boxers in my youth, and those guys hit fucking hard.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Kal El » Tue Jun 20, 2017 13:26

Big Vern wrote:Wearing ten ounce gloves makes a big difference, Kal El. But, as I said, I don't know much about MMA. I sparred with boxers in my youth, and those guys hit fucking hard.

I've sparred with both and they (MMA, particularly kickboxers) don't hit any softer.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
User avatar
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 6895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 23:17
Location: 台南, 台灣
Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 13:40

Vern, don't place either bet. Mayweather will knock him out, that's for certain. It's a money show, not an actual fight.

Douglas vs Tyson was quite different. Tyson had it coming.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:55
Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 20, 2017 14:00

Bunks wrote:Vern, don't place either bet. Mayweather will knock him out, that's for certain. It's a money show, not an actual fight.

Douglas vs Tyson was quite different. Tyson had it coming.

That's no fun. :lol: 50 quid on a McGregor first round win and another 50 on a McGregor second round win. At least it means I can leave the pub early and don't have to watch Mayweather carrying him for the rest of the fight.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 20, 2017 14:01

Kal El wrote:
Big Vern wrote:Wearing ten ounce gloves makes a big difference, Kal El. But, as I said, I don't know much about MMA. I sparred with boxers in my youth, and those guys hit fucking hard.

I've sparred with both and they (MMA, particularly kickboxers) don't hit any softer.

With boxers you'd have been sparring with 14 or 16 ounce gloves. MMA is, what, 4 ounce pads?

Seriously, giving McGregor any more than a 0.1% chance against Mayweather in boxing is as daft as giving Mayweather more than maybe a 10% chance against McGregor in UFC. Mayweather doesn't do fights he's not certain he can win. I'm surprised he's allowed it to be 154 pounds.

The only kickboxer I can think of who became a top boxer is Nigel Benn. And even he had some serious technical flaws. A great fighter, though.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:48

Benn was a great fighter, but he didn't know when to quit.

If you want to chuck money away at 4/1 stick your ton on man utd to win the league next year. Its a much more exciting bet.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:55
Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:55

Bunks wrote:Benn was a great fighter, but he didn't know when to quit.

If you want to chuck money away at 4/1 stick your ton on man utd to win the league next year. Its a much more exciting bet.


I had Man U at 3/1 last season. :facepalm: I'm not a very good gambler.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Mayweather Mcgregor

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 18:17

Big Vern wrote:
I had Man U at 3/1 last season. :facepalm: I'm not a very good gambler.


3/1 last season? You crazy? :smile:

The best deals are usually to be found 'in play.' The Mayweather fight is a disaster area for betting.


Spain play Portugal in the under 21's later. 3-2 Spain would be a decent punt.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 16:55
Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Next

Return to Sports