National Anthems at Sports Events

Whether it's footie or football, tennis or dodgeball, Taiwanease has forums to talk about your favorite sport with like-minded souls.

Moderator: jimipresley

Re: National Anthems at Sports Events

Postby Bubbha » Wed Aug 28, 2013 16:01

I don't get the connection between movies and national anthems anyway. Movies aren't patriotic events. In any case, I don't remember ever witnessing the national anthem being played in either the US or the UK when I was a kid (I grew up in both countries), so it doesn't even register as a traditional or expected practice to me. It's as much of an "out of left field" practice as dressing up for an airplane flight (something I also associate with backward countries).
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 271 times

Postby maoman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 17:03

Bubbha wrote:It's as much of an "out of left field" practice as dressing up for an airplane flight (something I also associate with backward countries).

Damn, that's another thing I miss! I was definitely born 40 years too late...
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post:
TainanCowboy (Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:04)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Kal El » Wed Aug 28, 2013 18:15

Taffy wrote:
Kal El wrote:Aren't "our boys" ( ) generally singing "God Save The Team" instead of "God Save The Queen" though?

True, but there's still the God bit to get my knickers in a twist about.

Um, I didn't say that. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Postby Kal El » Wed Aug 28, 2013 18:18

maoman wrote:
Bubbha wrote:Playing the national anthem before a movie is a sure sign of "backward, third-world nation" to me. They used to do it in Taiwan, then they thankfully stopped.

I'll admit, I always liked the national anthem before the movie. We used to play the national anthem in Canada too, a long, long time ago. I've always felt that Taiwanese could stand to bolster their national identity. It's been pretty limp-wristed for ages, first by design, now by circumstance.

Honestly, I quite like it at a stadium before a test match (although, singing it in a pub while watching the game on a big screen is a bit batty), but I'm pretty glad we don't have it before a movie. I think there are other things we can do, like not calling Taiwanese share teachers the "Chinese" teachers ffs. :facepalm:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Postby jimipresley » Sat Aug 15, 2015 00:03

Jeepers. Had to endure national anthems before a stupid T20 match. NZ vs SA. This is IMPORTANT shit! It's like WAR, man! :facepalm:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2536 times
Has gotten kudos: 1571 times

Postby SlowRain » Sat Aug 15, 2015 15:07

Bubbha wrote:I don't get the connection between movies and national anthems anyway. Movies aren't patriotic events.

I imagine it's because it was a largish public gathering.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 84 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Postby sandman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 15:18

Bubbha wrote:I don't get the connection between movies and national anthems anyway. Movies aren't patriotic events. In any case, I don't remember ever witnessing the national anthem being played in either the US or the UK when I was a kid (I grew up in both countries), so it doesn't even register as a traditional or expected practice to me. It's as much of an "out of left field" practice as dressing up for an airplane flight (something I also associate with backward countries).

We used to have to stand up to attention at the beginning of films for the English anthem in my hometown when I was a kid. Late 60s. If you didn't, the ushers would kick you out. Of course, we'd stand. And roar "Flower of Scotland" loud enough to drown out the English moan. Good times?
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby divea » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:23

They should just play the Chariots of fire soundtrack. It never fails to inspire, whereas anthems make me yawn at sporting events.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08

Musically I like the French and German national anthems. They are both very rousing. Most of the central and south American ones go on for far too long.

I can't stand God Save the Queen. They should use the version by the Sex Pistols - that was much better. At the risk of creating a firestorm the Star Spangled Banner is also really bad. I can never remember the Canadian anthem. I always have "Oh Canada" in my head to the tune of America the Beautiful for some reason.

The Japanese anthem is very relaxing:

You can imagine having a massage to that after a nice hot spring.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Previous

Return to Sports