National Museum of Marine Science and Technology in Jilong (Keelung)

Taiwan Forums at Taiwanease can make your life in Taiwan easier.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

National Museum of Marine Science and Technology in Jilong (Keelung)

Postby Jaboney » Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:30

Click here for the National Museum of Marine Science and Technology's listing in the Taiwanease Directory

Anyone with kids been to the National Museum of Marine Science and Technology? Looking for some places to make the girls go all googly-eyed.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 201 times
Has gotten kudos: 430 times

Re: National Museum of Marine Science and Technology in Jilong

Postby Taffy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:33

Don't know if you've seen this report but it does sound like a good place to take kids of the ages yours are.
Taffy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 227 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:40

No, but thanks for pointing this one out (and to Taffy for the link). Might have to go check it out. :thumbsup:
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 541 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Postby Jaboney » Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:40

I hadn't. Sounds great. Thanks. :thumbsup:
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby jimipresley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 19:40

Wow. That place looks VERY cool. I may just step out of my comfort zone in the next couple of weeks. :thumbsup:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Re: National Museum of Marine Science and Technology in Jilong (Keelung)

Postby supersupau » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49

I suggest taking the train to Ruifang and switch to the branch line (going the opposite direction from Pingxi). The train station (It's just a platform really) is just a few hundred meters from the museum. Kids will sure enjoy it.

These users gave kudos to the author supersupau for the post:
Jaboney (Tue Jul 08, 2014 20:43)
supersupau
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 5 times
Has gotten kudos: 18 times

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 09, 2014 08:08

hate to play the naysayer...went there last month, beautiful building, lots of parking, BUT.....inside there seems to be no direct theme....everything just seems to be thrown together, the exhibits are, in a sense, 'cheap'. this is connected to the one in Pingdong, which is great, professional, etc...I was excited at CNY when it opened...thought my son would love it just like the one down south....
but on a good note it does have a convenience store, bathrooms, lots of parking spots and is air conditioned...really that's all I have to say that I liked about the place.
it did take about 15 years to build because of f$^ed up planning/zoning. we are seeing the wrath of that right now with all the 'scandals' in northern Taiwan... the land isn't actually gov land, it seems to me that all the cash was used on the building/bribes and nothing was used for the exhibits...I think they farmed that out to the first year students from the national ocean university down the road..
-literally most of the exhibits were made with $2000 NT
-the interactive exhibits don't work, they just flash, buttons aren't functioning....I actually asked one of the workers about it and they said they ALL have to be repaired....(but it's only been 6 months?)
-there is no 'flow' to the place compared to other museums/aquariums....you go in there and literally wonder what the theme is all about. sure it's a marine/science technology museum on the sign but that does not what it portrays on the inside.
-save your cash, go to the one in Pingdong.
-I was surprised it wasn't 'busy' like all the other museums in northern Taiwan, I should have listened to my intuition when I drove down to the parking lot and there were a TON of empty spaces....

These users gave kudos to the author Andrew for the post:
Taffy (Wed Jul 09, 2014 15:52)
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 23 times

Postby Jaboney » Wed Jul 09, 2014 08:58

Well... damn.

Appreciate the warning.
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 09, 2014 16:36

I don't really know who wrote that review about the museum at Taiwan ho, but obviously they cut and paste it from another article because what they said in no way matches the one in Keelung.
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Jul 09, 2014 16:46

:eh: Your disagreement with the author's views does not logically imply plagiarism on their part.
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Taffy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14

Andrew wrote:I don't really know who wrote that review about the museum at Taiwan ho, but obviously they cut and paste it from another article because what they said in no way matches the one in Keelung.

That's a bit out of order. I haven't been to the museum, so I can't offer a personal view, but I know the author. He said "the article is original and I stand by my opinion."
Taffy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 227 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41

I just want some clarification on the article, as I read it there were a few things that I had a bit of trouble with..I am in no way being a sourpuss but an article should be open to some clarification.
1. "Stepping back you can still see the basic outline of the power station, and inside two pillars at the base of the escalator to the third floor are a reminder of the history of the building. Other parts of the steel structure has been preserved, and you may spot a couple of rebuilt coal hoppers inside. Apart from that, however, the interior is new and a glittering, spacious, modern example of how Taiwan can get a renovation project totally right. A huge effort has been made to let light into the building, and it works very well."
Totally agree with this.
2. "Each gallery is distinct, and the layout of each makes the most of their considerable space very well. In fact, each gallery could be a museum in its own right. There seem to be little exhibits hidden everywhere around the main halls, and the huge number of younger visitors expected to visit should have an amazing time. There are also many places to sit and watch films, although these were all in Chinese."
These parts I had to disagree with. Each gallery could be a .....This I have to disagree with, I felt that many of the exhibits were poorly designed and it was a shame that they were allowed to be exhibited. As I mentioned earlier, I thought that the buildings and landscaping was great but the exhibits themselves were of very poor quality.. Could be a budget issue. Next sentence...huge number of younger visitors....I felt that this was incorrect as well...most of the 'interactive' exhibits did not have functioning controls that worked...kids simply went up to them, pressed a button, no sounds/actions so the kids simply took off to the next one, that didn't work as well....you can go there and verify this if you want. There is also a lot of feedback online about this place as well.
3. "The exhibits are very well done, from divers suspended from the ceiling, boats coming out of the wall, giant wall sized maps activated from a map on the floor, life-sized mangrove ecosystem, and science based exhibits such as how much salt would be obtained if all the ocean water evaporated (a covering of 150 m) on a scale with Taipei 101."..Intentions are great, but in reality, it's a combination of duck tape and crazy glue...very poorly presented.
4." A large globe hanging from the ceiling on which video was projected was particularly impressive."
Agree
5. "Overall, I have to say that this is the best overall museum experience I have had, certainly the best in Taiwan, and I strongly recommend a visit. It makes for a really good day out for all the family considering you can also explore the coast, go hiking, watch an iMax movie, and visit the museum, and you will all almost certainly learn something new about the seas."
I think you should visit more museums to compare. I have been to over 20 museums/education centers in Taiwan and I feel this is one of the worst....has to rank with the crappy science museum in Shirlin. The centers at the top of my list are the National Palace Museum, National Science Museum(Taichung), Art Museum(Taichung), Taipei Zoo and the National Aquarium in Pingdong(near Kending)...personally I had more fun at the Hsinchu City Zoo and the old airport museum at the airport was much more fun.
Overall this facility in Keelung looks great on the outside but there is little to see on the inside because of the shoddy presentation. I also feel that this article had many errors in it as others will attest. Take a look online, there is a huge public backlash to this as many feel it will become a 'mosquito' hotel if the curators don't get their act together. I respect your opinion but I do have a right to critique an article that is in the public domain. This museum has had very few favorable reviews since it opened last CNY.

These users gave kudos to the author Andrew for the post:
maoman (Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54)
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby asiababy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 16:28

Jaboney,

I wasn't impressed with the new museum, either. The day we went it was not really that ready. We wanted to see the IMAX but had to wait ages because busloads of tourists arrived. For IMAX, we prefer the Astronomical Museum. It's great for elementary-aged kids.

North-East-Coast-wise, I recommend a trip to Keelung by train, then a walk through the underpass to the OCAM Oceanic Museum. Even though it is small, my kids love this museum. The exhibits only change once a year right now. Here is my article from 2012.

From there, you can walk around the newly-renovated harbor to the Culture Center. They have some nice little exhibits, and round the back on the first floor is Keelung Storyhouse. The public library is on the 3rd floor. The kids' section is a really big space. Lots of great Chinese books and two shelves of English books. Then, go to the night market for a snack and head back by train.

If you drive, you can head to the Gold Ecological Park. My kids also love that.

http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.tw/2010/04/gold-ecological-park-learn-about-gold.html
Visit my blog www.kidzone-tw.com, to find out about family-friendly events and spaces around Taiwan.

These users gave kudos to the author asiababy for the post (total 2):
Jaboney (Sat Jul 12, 2014 17:47) • Dragonbones (Sat Jul 12, 2014 16:46)
asiababy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 70 times

Postby asiababy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 01:00

If you want your kids to love you for a whole year, take them to the Yilan International Children's Festival. You can read about that and a couple of other spots to go over summer in my Taiwan Ho! article.

http://www.taiwanho.com/summer-fun-families-taipei/
Visit my blog www.kidzone-tw.com, to find out about family-friendly events and spaces around Taiwan.
asiababy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 70 times

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 14:35

We went to the subject museum (with limited expectations) and enjoyed it. There were some negatives, such as the crazy layout (arriving from B1 parking at 1F, you are told you have to go to 3F to buy tickets then return to 1F to enter -- no fun if waiting with a stroller for limited elevator space), their insistence on using hand stamping (even though such ink will promptly end up all over kids’ faces and clothing) and some broken interactive exhibits, but it was inexpensive and most worked, so Dragoncito got to be a ship's captain reaching a research site, and played as a fish trying to stay in the school so as not to get eaten by a shark, and he got to put on 'camouflage' to hide from a shark, like an octopus does. He also got to inflate a nautilus's air chamber to make it float, and made an origami squid. He got to crawl into a big shell like a hermit crab, and measure himself against various creatures like tuna fish. He learned that crustaceans are decapods (10 legs), and saw nice examples on display, and there were cool glowing deep-sea creatures suspended from ceilings, and so on. I would rate it similar in quality to the Shilin Science Education center, but because squid and octopuses are ‘cooler’ than chemistry at this age, it was better in that sense. At four, our tike was too excited by the newness of all the things to see, and wouldn’t stand still long enough for me to explain tectonic plates and magma chambers, so we’ll have to go back again for those things. There was info on how ports work that was above his head, and in general the Evergreen marine museum in Taibei is WAY better for model ships, but he still enjoyed seeing a large model of Jilong Port, container ships, propellers and torpedoes.

There is good English throughout, and good explanations of things like tube worms, sea vents, undersea volcanoes, and so on. There is a temporary exhibit on cephalopods which lacks English, but that and the restaurant on 5F are the main exceptions. (Good noodles, bad coffee, ok prices btw).
If you know that museums in Taiwan often have their flaws, and just go to enjoy what they DO have to offer, then this one is among those that I would recommend traveling to from Taibei (perhaps plan something else to see while there if making a full day of it). If you’re not going to be happy with anything less than a perfect, world-class museum, stay away.

Oh, and get your coffee from the convenience store, not the restaurant.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Return to Living in Taiwan