New Law banning smoking in vehicles

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Re: New Law banning smoking in vehicles

Postby Big Vern » Thu May 21, 2015 11:35

cranky laowai wrote:Who said anything about passing cars?

Take, for example, scooters stopped at a light.

You seriously believe smoking outdoors can be significantly harmful to the health of others? The smoke will be so diluted it surely would have no effect. Prolongued exposure indoors I buy. But outdoors?

Clearly the politicians share your opinion.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Thu May 21, 2015 11:38

This law is absolutely ridiculous compared to the pollution emitted from vehicles and power plants, but somebody in the EPA wants to show they are 'doing something'.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby sandman » Thu May 21, 2015 12:07

Hold on a second. Does this mean that smoking on the sidewalk is also banned with violators subject to fines? I never heard of this law before. So this means that you can't smoke in your car but you CAN smoke on the sidewalk while leaning against your car? Is this correct?
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby Bu Lai En » Thu May 21, 2015 15:02

I think it means that if you're in your car with the window down, smoking with your hand outside the window, that would be illegal. But if you're standing next to your car, smoking with your hand in exactly the same place, that is legal. :smile:
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 154 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby Toad » Thu May 21, 2015 15:38

cranky laowai wrote:Here you go: 7 yuè jiàchē chōuyān fá 6 bǎi.

The story says that, starting in July, if the smoke affects others outside the vehicle, drivers can be fined NT$600, but that the cops wouldn't bother anyone about this if the car's windows are closed or if no one else is nearby.

That's pretty damn bizarre. When I read the OP I assumed they were simply concerned about people keeping both hands on the wheel and paying attention to the road. Silly me.

There is a similar bylaw in Palawan. No smoking cigarettes in any public places. Driving a filth-spewing vehicle or making bonfires full of plastic waste in any available space ... well, that's just a-OK. Politicians,eh. If they had brains they'd be dangerous.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 972 times
Has gotten kudos: 707 times

Postby Bu Lai En » Thu May 21, 2015 19:11

Illegal:

Legal:

Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 154 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby shiadoa » Thu May 21, 2015 19:30

Seems rather ridiculous.
legal:
illegal:

It would make more sense to ban smoking in a car with Minors inside.
shiadoa
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 186 times
Has gotten kudos: 291 times

Postby engerim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 21:31

I've reported a scooter driving in front of me for smoking.
Its a safety hazard and not very considerate to blow your hot ash into someones face.
There's no reward for reporting this (unless he/she gets reported for littering).
engerim
Tech

Has given kudos: 226 times
Has gotten kudos: 219 times

Postby Kal El » Mon Aug 03, 2015 22:01

Big Vern wrote:Well, I appear to be in the minority viewing this as yet another stupid law that won't be enforced anyway on the books in Taiwan.

I'm surprised. I'll sit down and think about it some more, but at the moment it just looks like complete bollocks. Passive smoking from a passing car. Are you having a laugh? Definitely for passengers if the windows are shut.

I agree with you. It's stupid and won't be enforced. The first ten days of July I noticed no one smoking. After that it grew increasingly up until now where it seems back to normal. I was smoking on my scooter all along. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Previous

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan