New road test for driving licenses starting May 2017

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

New road test for driving licenses starting May 2017

Postby John Ross » Mon Mar 13, 2017 16:27

Several of my coolies have mentioned that the DMV (I assume nationally but need to check this) will start using a road test instead of that silly testing on-site nonsense. I think the coolies hope that I'll abandon the ricksha and sedan chair for a car, and that I should finally get around to acquiring a local license or have them trained. I might send one or two of the the coolies off to driving school but as for myself, I think I rather just wait for self-driving cars to come in as being behind the wheel of one's own motorized vehicle isn't really compatible with ~ slurp ~ my lifestyle.

But anyway, just posting this on the off-chance that one or two of you chaps might want to get a license while it's easy.

Drinks coolie!!
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 324 times
Has gotten kudos: 540 times

Re: New road test for driving licenses starting May 2017

Postby Big Vern » Mon Mar 13, 2017 16:49

At last! Although I will miss my mate going apoplectic after failing the S bend reverse maneouver for the nth time.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Mar 14, 2017 19:41

I'd say it's probably a very good idea and very long overdue!
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Mar 14, 2017 21:06

Now, wait for the whinging about all the learner drivers on the streets. :lol:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Mar 14, 2017 21:30

Big Vern wrote:Now, wait for the whinging about all the learner drivers on the streets. :lol:

How exactly would one tell the difference? :ponder:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Toad (Mon Mar 20, 2017 21:23)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 165 times
Has gotten kudos: 471 times

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Mar 14, 2017 21:43

The learner drivers would, in theory, be the ones actually PAUSING briefly at red lights before blowing through.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Mar 14, 2017 22:19

The quality of driving here isn't that bad and you guys know it. There's a lack of some basic learned skills (such as use of mirrors) which stems from inadequacies in the driving test. Those sort of things are habits that need to be taught. The new test should gradually start to solve these issues.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
jimipresley (Tue Mar 14, 2017 22:34)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Mar 14, 2017 22:57

Big Vern wrote:The quality of driving here isn't that bad and you guys know it. There's a lack of some basic learned skills (such as use of mirrors) which stems from inadequacies in the driving test. Those sort of things are habits that need to be taught. The new test should gradually start to solve these issues.

A resounding no. The problem is NOT 'lack of some basic learned skills' or 'inadequacies in the driving test'. It is a fundamental lack of a culture of respect for both rules and safety.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post (total 3):
SuperS54 (Thu Mar 16, 2017 13:30) • cranky laowai (Tue Mar 14, 2017 23:25) • John Ross (Tue Mar 14, 2017 23:21)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Wed Mar 15, 2017 00:10

Dragonbones wrote:
Big Vern wrote:The quality of driving here isn't that bad and you guys know it. There's a lack of some basic learned skills (such as use of mirrors) which stems from inadequacies in the driving test. Those sort of things are habits that need to be taught. The new test should gradually start to solve these issues.

A resounding no. The problem is NOT 'lack of some basic learned skills' or 'inadequacies in the driving test'. It is a fundamental lack of a culture of respect for both rules and safety.

In which case an improved driving test will make no difference. A complete cultural change would be needed.

I think you're wrong on this. IMO drilling basic driving skills to young people through a test that is fit for purpose will do the trick over time. Failing to teach people how to do a task and then blaming negative results on perceived cultural issues doesn't work with me.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Kal El (Wed Mar 15, 2017 07:02)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Wed Mar 15, 2017 07:06

Big Vern wrote:
Dragonbones wrote:

In which case an improved driving test will make no difference. A complete cultural change would be needed.

I think you're wrong on this. IMO drilling basic driving skills to young people through a test that is fit for purpose will do the trick over time. Failing to teach people how to do a task and then blaming negative results on perceived cultural issues doesn't work with me.

I agree. I also thought that making broad sweeping statements on a group's cultural "oddities" were frowned upon on this forum.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 13:37

I drove here for more than 25 years. I drove in UK for around the same time. Didn't see too many differences. Except for stabbings and punching through the side window (UK only). I dunno. I recently bao-fei'd my old jalopy, so no longer my concern. Have at it, ya numpties!
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby MilkTeaJack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 13:47

Kal El wrote:
Big Vern wrote:
Dragonbones wrote:

I agree. I also thought that making broad sweeping statements on a group's cultural "oddities" were frowned upon on this forum.

Hey, I do that all the time! "All people like MTJ need to bathe more". "MTJ-types spend way too much time shirking their responsibilities." "MTJs, those people, are a bunch of losers."
The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver.-Henry Rollins
MilkTeaJack
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 99 times
Has gotten kudos: 80 times

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49

Kal El wrote:I also thought that making broad sweeping statements on a group's cultural "oddities" were frowned upon on this forum.

A fundamental lack of a culture of respect for both rules and safety is not an 'oddity'. It is a problem, which cannot be solved by failing to address it.
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Mon Mar 20, 2017 13:22

Dragonbones wrote:
Kal El wrote:I also thought that making broad sweeping statements on a group's cultural "oddities" were frowned upon on this forum.

A fundamental lack of a culture of respect for both rules and safety is not an 'oddity'. It is a problem, which cannot be solved by failing to address it.

Ah yes, I see how that's different from a culture of blame shifting that isn't a problem, which can be solved by not mentioning it. :thumbsup:
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Mar 20, 2017 14:45

If one were to go to just about any four-way intersection in Taiwan with a stop light and observe traffic there any time between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. for, say, ten minutes, you would be almost certain to see several instances of people going through the intersection on red and/or driving with at least two wheels in the opposing lane of traffic. That means Taiwan has a lot of unsafe drivers. If one sees the same behavior in other countries, it doesn't mean Taiwan's drivers are therefore safe. It means both places have a lot of unsafe drivers. This notion doesn't seem particularly difficult or problematic to me. :idunno:
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 165 times
Has gotten kudos: 471 times

Next

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan