International tourists relative to total population

International tourists relative to total population

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Aug 19, 2014 16:57

Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight.com has just published an article on "The Countries Where You’re Surrounded By Tourists."

Taiwan, of course, doesn't even come close to making it into the top 25 (as measured by number of tourists vs. the total population, with some other factors figured in).

But when the list of countries is narrowed to the top 25 GDP nations, Taiwan scores fairly high (9th). We're getting about the same tourist numbers as Australia (which also has about the same population).
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 528 times

Re: International tourists relative to total population

Postby Bu Lai En » Tue Aug 19, 2014 19:06

Does New Zealand really have a lower GDP than Poland, Mexico, Iran etc?
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 155 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby shiadoa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 21:15

I feel these figures are a bit skewed really. E.g. If 3 people visited Pitcairn Island ( population 39 or something very low) they would be top of that list. Silly to compare Thailand with Taiwan as a ratio of population/tourists IMO.I understand that these are just the top 25 GDP Countries...but still..
shiadoa
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 186 times
Has gotten kudos: 293 times

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Aug 27, 2014 15:30

Bu Lai En wrote:Does New Zealand really have a lower GDP than Poland, Mexico, Iran etc?

In terms of per capita GDP, New Zealand is relatively high (well above Poland, Mexico, and Iran). But in absolute terms, New Zealand's GDP is well outside the top 25 (It's in the 50s).

shiadoa wrote:I feel these figures are a bit skewed really. E.g. If 3 people visited Pitcairn Island ( population 39 or something very low) they would be top of that list. Silly to compare Thailand with Taiwan as a ratio of population/tourists IMO.I understand that these are just the top 25 GDP Countries...but still..

Pitcairn Island isn't a country, but I see your point. The article also has a chart without GDP figured in. I didn't give this one earlier because Taiwan's not on it. Predictably, Vatican City is an outlier.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 528 times

Return to Travel in Taiwan