Sofiva Genetic Testing

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Sofiva Genetic Testing

Postby Neila » Thu Mar 27, 2014 14:07

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Sofiva blood test. http://www.sofivagenomics.com.tw/ Apparently, it's as accurate as an amnio for finding Downs and a few other chromosomal problems (99%), but instead of drawing fluid from the placenta, it's just a simple blood draw from the mother. I think it may be similar to the Harmony Test that's available in the US, but I'm not 100% sure. It looks like it's quite new. It's more expensive than an amnio, $25000 for Sofiva and $8600 for the amnio, but with no risk for the fetus, it seems like a good idea. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had it done, and what your experiences were like, particularly if there were any problems. Thanks.

These users gave kudos to the author Neila for the post:
Icon (Thu Mar 27, 2014 15:20)
Neila
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Re: Sofiva Genetic Testing

Postby Neila » Tue Apr 22, 2014 15:50

Just wanted to do a quick update.

It seems that the test is called "Nifty" at the medical centers here. From what I've found from the Taiwanese mommy forums, it's only been offered in Taiwan for about a year. The blood was originally sent to Hong Kong for testing, but now there is a lab here in Taiwan that does it. This really cuts down on the wait time. I had my blood draw on April 10th and I got my results today (April 22nd).

When the results are in, you'll get a call from a nurse at your medical center and she will tell you whether any abnormalities were found. If none are found, you can wait until your next scheduled appointment to pick up the full lab results. If there were an issue, you would need to go to your doctor as soon as possible. (I assume you would follow up with an amnio to confirm the results.)

Although all chromosomes are mapped with this test, you will not be informed of the sex of the child from it. Sofiva does not release sex information, unless there is a genetic problem based on the sex chromosomes, due to ethical concerns.

These users gave kudos to the author Neila for the post:
maoman (Thu Apr 24, 2014 09:42)
Neila
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Just Jennifer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 09:02

Thanks for the update, I'd never heard of this test. Best wishes on your pregnancy!
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1836 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby Neila » Thu Apr 24, 2014 13:55

Just Jennifer wrote:Thanks for the update, I'd never heard of this test. Best wishes on your pregnancy!

Thanks!
Neila
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby angie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 20:36

Hi Neila,

May I ask how much did you pay for the test and where did you have it done?
Taipei Doula Services http://www.beautifulbeginnings.com.tw
Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Birth Doula

www.parentsplace.com.tw
An activity center for kids, parents and parents-to-be
angie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Sep 01, 2014 22:01

We chose a less accurate, common blood-based test that cost about NT$1850 (half of that IIRC being out of pocket due to where we reside) which is used as a precursor to determine whether amniotic fluid testing is needed. It's nice to hear that a more accurate 'non-invasive' test is available, although that $25k price tag looks purty damned steep.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 527 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Neila » Tue Sep 02, 2014 09:47

angie wrote:Hi Neila,

May I ask how much did you pay for the test and where did you have it done?

I had it done at the Xinzhuang birth center on Zhongzheng Rd. Cost was $25000. Because I did that test, I didn't have to do the quad screen, though, so I saved that 2k :smile:

If I can figure out how to post pictures on here, I could show what the results look like. The main things that are shown are the results for T21 (Downs), T18 (Edwards), and T13 (Patau).

Dragonbones wrote:We chose a less accurate, common blood-based test that cost about NT$1850 (half of that IIRC being out of pocket due to where we reside) which is used as a precursor to determine whether amniotic fluid testing is needed. It's nice to hear that a more accurate 'non-invasive' test is available, although that $25k price tag looks purty damned steep.

Yeah, the price is a bit much, but as an older, first-time mom, I just really wanted to know everything was A-OK as soon as possible. The Nifty test can be done at 10 weeks gestation, and I didn't want to stress all the way until an amnio could be done (which I think is 18-20 weeks) if the quad screen had come back with bad news. For me, 25k was worth being less stressed, but if I were younger, or if I had other children and had been through this before, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
Neila
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15

No judgment here; if it makes sense for one person and their budget, that's fine. BTW, our quad was $800 after govt subsidy, DW says.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Neila » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37

Dragonbones wrote:No judgment here; if it makes sense for one person and their budget, that's fine. BTW, our quad was $800 after govt subsidy, DW says.

Oh, I know. I just wanted to share my thought process in case someone else needs to make the decision. I'm just a natural worrier, so it was a 25k worry-free fee for me. :smile: For people who are a bit more relaxed, the test might be overkill.

As for the subsidies...I wonder if foreign parents would be eligible for that. I'm not sure if the quad screen was subsidized where I went, but they did say there was a subsidy for aminos if the mother was over a certain age, 36 or 38 I think.
Neila
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50

Neila wrote:As for the subsidies...I wonder if foreign parents would be eligible for that. I'm not sure if the quad screen was subsidized where I went, but they did say there was a subsidy for aminos if the mother was over a certain age, 36 or 38 I think.

Dragonbabe is a local (I'm not, just APRC) and we qualified. Not sure whether it's relevant for the quad, but she was 24 the first time and 27 the second time. Since she's young and the quad test was fine, we skipped the amniotic test, which is not risk-free.
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth