How much should I ask for my scooter?

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

How much should I ask for my scooter?

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:35

It's 9 years old, but hasn't been ridden much in the last 3.5 years, although I have continued to start the engine every week, and changed the oil and got its emissions inspected. It is a fairly compact Kymco 125cc with 49,500km on it, minor cosmetic damage and typical wear and tear, and runs quite well. My aunt-in-law is considering buying it. She has a $20k budget, but I don't think this is worth anywhere near that much, and crucially, I don't want to ask more than it is worth, since I am likely to sell it to her, and she is family. On the other hand, I need the bucks, so I don't want to sell it for much less than it's worth, either. What would you ask for it in this instance? (I asked my local mechanic, and he said bikes this age in Taiwan aren't worth much at all.) I'd appreciate any input. :bow:
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Re: How much should I ask for my scooter?

Postby divea » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:53

Take 8 -10K and that's it. :idunno:

We got 10K for our 9 year old car back in 2010 - from the scrap metal guy. Auntie is family, delicate and all that.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Jaboney » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:21

Yep. 8K. Not having been ridden doesn't increase the value at all.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 200 times
Has gotten kudos: 429 times

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:50

I was thinking about $8k myself, so the confirmation is helpful -- thanks!
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby shiadoa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 21:34

If you let her have it for 19k...should be enough to cover for the lifetime warranty she will expect :smile:
shiadoa
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 186 times
Has gotten kudos: 291 times

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Aug 15, 2014 22:15

:lol: Well, her husband is giving her $20k budget for it, so I'll tell her to pocket the remainder for repairs. $11k should last her awhile.
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby shiadoa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 22:23

Dragonbones wrote::lol: Well, her husband is giving her $20k budget for it, so I'll tell her to pocket the remainder for repairs. $11k should last her awhile.

:thumbsup:
shiadoa
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 186 times
Has gotten kudos: 291 times

Postby Bu Lai En » Fri Aug 15, 2014 23:56

Hmm, I think in all fairness you could go higher. Similar bikes seem to often go for 12K or so.
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 154 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 09:03

NT$10k.
Fair all around.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby SuperS54 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 14:14

I suggest she take the 20K and buy one from a reliable dealer, otherwise just donate your bike to her. The 8 or 10K you'll get is probably not worth the hassle should anything go wrong with it and if it's got almost 50K Km and has been sitting around for a few years then something will almost certainly go wrong with it as soon as it is ridden regularly. Sell it off quietly and tell her you discovered some fatal engine flaw that was about to blow and were lucky to get rid of it.
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 48 times
Has gotten kudos: 21 times

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Sep 16, 2014 20:39

Turns out it had a few minor problems, and she offered $8k, so I took it (her being a nice relative and all). I appreciate all the advice, guys!
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan