Taiwan's adultery law

Moderator: Eiger John

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Should Taiwan decriminalize adultery?

Yes
79%
No
17%
No opinion
4%

Total votes : 24

Taiwan's adultery law

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Jun 19, 2013 14:23

Jens Kastner has an interesting piece in today's Asia Sentinel: Taiwan's Archaic Adultery Law.

Earlier this year, remarks by Minister of Culture Lung Ying-tai prompted some politicians to suggest a review of Article 239 of the Criminal Code, which provides that "married spouses who commit adultery be imprisoned for up to one year." According to Kastner, that got nowhere.

Even worse, decriminalization's staunchest opponent, the Ministry of Justice, published a survey showing that 82.2 percent of the respondents don't want the adultery law to be tinkered with.

This leaves ostensibly liberal Taiwan on an inglorious list with conservative South Korea and the Islamic countries.

While the adultery law itself is gender-neutral, the devil is in the details. It is an Antragsdelikt, an archaic oddment left over from the days when the Republic of China was actually in China and adopted the German civil code and criminal code of the 1930s. It is an offense prosecuted on complaint, which means that the case is closed as soon as the plaintiff drops the charge. In practice, that usually means unfaithful women are punished while cheating men walk free....

To put the practical gender discrimination into plain statistics, 50 percent of women who sue their husbands for adultery will eventually drop charges, but only 23 percent of men will do so against their wives, resulting in a higher conviction rate among women, according to the Awakening Foundation.

The article has more information and no small portion of bile. But it also points to a possible way for the law to be nullified.

In 2011, Taiwan signed the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW). And as if there weren't enough oddities already in the island's legal system, eager wannabe UN member Taiwan did not just sign it and then harmonized national laws accordingly as signees of UN conventions would normally do, but at one fell swoop turned the whole Convention into domestic law effective since January 1, 2012. Simply put, if Chen's Awakening Foundation manages to prove that Article 239 has a disproportional impact on women, Taiwan must bid farewell to it.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Icon (Tue Mar 03, 2015 18:01)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 182 times
Has gotten kudos: 530 times

Re: Taiwan's adultery law

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Jun 19, 2013 14:28

Poll added.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 13:01

Asia Sentinel wrote:the Ministry of Justice, published a survey showing that 82.2 percent of the respondents don't want the adultery law to be tinkered with.

This leaves ostensibly liberal Taiwan on an inglorious list with conservative South Korea and the Islamic countries.

Even South Korea has now decriminalized adultery, through a supreme court ruling there last week. It sounds like their law was much like Taiwan's.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby TainanCowboy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 13:42

I'm married.

I have "No Opinion" on this.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:23

I voted no. The law served me well in the past. If it is done away with then divorce law will need to be almost completely re-written. As it stands, it is used more as a threat to get what you need as the aggrieved party, in terms of things like custody etc.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby maoman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 13:49

Kal El wrote:I voted no. The law served me well in the past.

How?
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1855 times
Has gotten kudos: 1341 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Mar 03, 2015 14:36

The law seems medieval to me. I place a very strong value on marital fidelity, but criminalizing infidelity is just bizarre.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 543 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Postby jimipresley » Tue Mar 03, 2015 14:49

Dragonbones wrote:The law seems medieval to me. I place a very strong value on marital fidelity, but criminalizing infidelity is just bizarre.

Agreed. It's Talibanesque. :thumbsdown:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Mar 03, 2015 16:50

jimipresley wrote:
Dragonbones wrote:The law seems medieval to me. I place a very strong value on marital fidelity, but criminalizing infidelity is just bizarre.

Agreed. It's Talibanesque. :thumbsdown:

Do you get stoned or lashed?

Sounds like a win-win situation.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 17:15

I wish I'd hired that private investigator and gotten proof of infidelity. I'd enjoy seeing the husbandonpaper suffer.

Can't share an opinion just yet because I haven't followed the links provided but I'll be back (and will try to be nicer).
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1851 times
Has gotten kudos: 323 times

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Mar 03, 2015 18:20

Taiwan's one-year imprisonment for adultery seems soft compared with the five-year term one could serve for the felony of adultery in my home state. OTOH, I doubt if anyone there has been punished with that in many years, unlike the situation in Taiwan.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby maoman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 20:38

Just Jennifer wrote:I wish I'd hired that private investigator and gotten proof of infidelity. I'd enjoy seeing the husbandonpaper suffer.

A year in jail? For both of them? How is that good for anyone?
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post:
Just Jennifer (Tue Mar 03, 2015 23:05)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1855 times
Has gotten kudos: 1341 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Kal El » Tue Mar 03, 2015 21:31

maoman wrote:
Kal El wrote:I voted no. The law served me well in the past.

How?

That's not a conversation I'd like to have in public, even behind a shroud of an avatar and username. I'd be happy to tell you when we meet again.

Just Jennifer wrote:I wish I'd hired that private investigator and gotten proof of infidelity. I'd enjoy seeing the husbandonpaper suffer.

Can't share an opinion just yet because I haven't followed the links provided but I'll be back (and will try to be nicer).

Indeed, and as a foreigner in a divorce you have little chance of getting custody, even more so as a woman. Which is what the "It's Barbaric and Talibanesque!!" shriekers fail to realise, hence my statement:

Kal El wrote:If it is done away with then divorce law will need to be almost completely re-written. As it stands, it is used more as a threat to get what you need as the aggrieved party, in terms of things like custody etc.

The fact is, that is how it is most often used. It is used as a threat to get even treatment.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Just Jennifer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 13:12

maoman wrote:

REVENGE.

My husband's sins are now impacting a relationship I have with a student's family, and impacting my son who just took a job as a waiter at a restaurant that he frequents with his supposed girlfriend.

I want to hurt him, inconvenience him, but mostly shame him. A small measure of the shame he's brought me.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1851 times
Has gotten kudos: 323 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Jul 07, 2015 13:21

Just Jennifer wrote:
maoman wrote:

REVENGE.

My husband's sins are now impacting a relationship I have with a student's family, and impacting my son who just took a job as a waiter at a restaurant that he frequents with his supposed girlfriend.

I want to hurt him, inconvenience him, but mostly shame him. A small measure of the shame he's brought me.

I fully understand your feelings, however, I would advise using it against him to get full custody and a decent settlement. :twocents:
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Next

Return to Marriage in Taiwan