River Tracing in Taiwan

Whether it's footie or football, tennis or dodgeball, Taiwanease has forums to talk about your favorite sport with like-minded souls.

Moderator: jimipresley

River Tracing in Taiwan

Postby Just Jennifer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 05:54

I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

The girls and I are going to Hualian with friends this afternoon so that we can go "river tracing" tomorrow. I'm not clear on all the details because my friend's husband is organizing but we've got the basics taken care of: guides (3), food (bbq lunch by the guides tomorrow), two nights' lodging at a B&B.

This is a bit outside my comfort zone (leaving the city, sleeping in an unfamiliar place, water, I don't swim, heights and leaping, oh so many things) but I thought you might have some tips.

1) Rashguard/swimsit and shorts OR wet suit provided by the tour: Which do you recommend and why? Our friends say the wet suits are hot (really?) and stiff. I think they protect against cuts/scrapes, water snakes, bugs, and sun.

2) What do you do about devices? Hang from your neck in a water proof pouch (I can pick one up at Shengli this AM) or is that too risky? I don't like the idea of not having my phone, "just in case".

3) Our friends said there is no need to bring water because the water is so clean we can drink it right from the river but I'm not buying that. I'm thinking mesh backpack for me with a large bottle of water plus a plastic bag with essentials (phone? headache meds, sunblock, light snacks) and lighter packs for water bottles for each of my girls.

4) How concerned should I be about safety? I'll let the kids' father and my in-laws know what we're up to for two days and make sure they know where we are staying and what tour company is providing the guides.

Leaving a severely sunburnt young man at home to recuperate and take care of the cat and dog. Easy meals prepped. Not anxious yet but we'll see how I hold up tonight.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Re: River Tracing in Taiwan

Postby maoman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25

If your friends have done it, listen to them. Wetsuits are designed to retain heat. When it's 20 degrees, that's nice. Not so much when it's 35 degrees.

What do the guides say about the drinking water? Listen to them.

Sunblock sounds like a great idea, and a floppy hat that you can get wet to cool down.

Have fun!
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post:
Just Jennifer (Fri Jul 31, 2015 15:42)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Just Jennifer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 16:51

We're off!

These users gave kudos to the author Just Jennifer for the post (total 2):
ChinaCat (Fri Jul 31, 2015 17:03) • maoman (Fri Jul 31, 2015 16:57)
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby sandman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 16:54

Watch out for flash flooding. Thunderstorm approaching. Those creeks can rise a meter in a half-hour if the rain is heavy.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 00:55

Thanks for the tip, sandman! I wondered how rains like we had in Taipei last week would affect the river. I was surprised at how strong the current was when, in some parts, it was just calf deep. Such a great experience for us and I think this will motivate me to leave Taipei more. I was also pleasantly surprised that the only bugs I saw were dragonflies, butterflies, moths, wasps (a few, with four huge nests along the river), and a couple of tiny ones that looked pretty harmless. No snakes, no centipedes, no earthworms. The heights, depths, water, sun (had a migraine kick in midmorning and we didn't get back until 6!) and having to unplug with various things happening back at home were stressful enough for me, I don't think I could have handled any more challenges!

These users gave kudos to the author Just Jennifer for the post (total 2):
maoman (Mon Aug 03, 2015 16:47) • ChinaCat (Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23)
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Return to Sports