First worldwide survey of religion and science

From Protestants to Pastafarians, from Mormons to Muslims, spirituality is as old as man, and so is discussing religion.

Moderator: Fortigurn

First worldwide survey of religion and science

Postby Fortigurn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 08:16

Interestingly, "54 percent of scientists in Taiwan identify as religious compared with 44 percent of the general population of Taiwan".

Are all scientists atheists? Do they believe religion and science can co-exist? These questions and others were addressed in the first worldwide survey of how scientists view religion, released today by researchers at Rice University.

Source.
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 129 times
Has gotten kudos: 128 times

Re: First worldwide survey of religion and science

Postby zender » Tue Dec 08, 2015 20:53

Good find!

There was some interesting stuff on the Indian vs. U.K. scientists.

The surveys and in-depth interviews with scientists revealed that while 65 percent of U.K. scientists identify as nonreligious, only 6 percent of Indian scientists identify as nonreligious. In addition, while only 12 percent of scientists in the U.K. attend religious services on a regular basis—once a month or more—32 percent of scientists in India do...

Despite the number of U.K. scientists identifying themselves as nonreligious, 49 percent of U.K. survey respondents acknowledged that there are basic truths in many religions. In addition, 11 percent of U.K. survey respondents said they do believe in God without any doubt, and another 8 percent said they believe in a higher power of some kind...

According to the India survey, 73 percent of scientists responded that there are basic truths in many religions, 27 percent said they believe in God and 38 percent expressed belief in a higher power of some kind. However, while only 4 percent of the general Indian population said they never attend religious services, 19 percent of Indian scientists said they never attend.
"Despite the high level of religiosity evident among Indian scientists when it comes to religious affiliation, we can see here that when we look at religious practices, Indian scientists are significantly more likely than the Indian general population to never participate in a religious service or ritual, even at home," Ecklund said.
Although there appear to be striking differences in the religious views of U.K. and Indian scientists, less than half of both groups (38 percent of U.K. scientists and 18 percent of Indian scientists) perceived conflict between religion and science.
-------------
I think survey takers might think two different things and the wording is key. If you ask scientists, "Do you perceive conflict between religion and science?", they might think, "Well, I have no conflict in my lab or class because I don't bring up religion and neither do my students or colleagues. We just do science."

If you asked, "Does Science conflict with Religion X?", the responses could be quite different. Scientists might say,"Sure. The Genesis creation account conflicts with what science tells us."

These users gave kudos to the author zender for the post:
Fortigurn (Tue Dec 08, 2015 22:05)
zender
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 44 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Re: First worldwide survey of religion and science

Postby jimipresley » Tue Dec 08, 2015 21:02

So those clowns burning ghost money outside their consulting boxes actually believe in gremlins and goblins? I always assumed they were doing it for the benefit of the patrons. :eek:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post (total 2):
Fortigurn (Tue Dec 08, 2015 22:06) • ThreadKiller (Tue Dec 08, 2015 21:47)
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Return to Religion & Spirituality