Calvin & Hobbes anthologies

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Dragonbones

Forum rules
1) Please search before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one.

3) Please post separately for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator (right now, that's me, Dragonbones) asking for help. Happy posting!

Calvin & Hobbes anthologies

Postby sandman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 15:06

Anyone know an actual bookstore in Taipei where I can get some Calvin & Hobbes anthologies?
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 315 times
Has gotten kudos: 843 times

Re: Calvin & Hobbes anthologies

Postby zender » Thu Feb 04, 2016 22:56

I don't know a bookstore, but if you just want to read every one for free online, here they are.

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes ... ign=social
zender
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 44 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby jimipresley » Fri Feb 05, 2016 01:44

Entirely off-topic, but I have a "Calvin and Hobbes Anthology" anecdote.

I once bought the entire Calvin and Hobbes catalogue from a bookstore because I quite enjoyed the writing and because I was relatively affluent. It was six or seven books. I don't recall. This was 1996. There may be more, now.

There was this singer in a punk band that I realy fancied, and when she became pregnant and went to hospital to have the sprog, I sent my Calvin and Hobbes collection with her boyfriend as a gift.

He wasn't the father.

Later I found out that he had said that the books were from him.

She named her son "Calvin".
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post:
sandman (Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:47)
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2529 times
Has gotten kudos: 1562 times

Postby sandman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:48

zender wrote:I don't know a bookstore, but if you just want to read every one for free online, here they are.

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes ... ign=social

Thanks, Zender. But I need the actual paper books. Bedtime stories don't work for me on an ipad.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
ThreadKiller (Fri Feb 05, 2016 15:43)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby sandman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 14:02

And Jimi, if she had been reaally punk, she'd have torn the foetus out of herself and eaten it. On stage. I thought about doing that exact same thing. Damn gender-specific uteruses! Instead, I had to take it down a notch and just dropped my leather trousers and wiggled my bare bum a bit. Not quite the same thing.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Icon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 14:49

Someone dumped a bunch at a local second hand bookstore and that is how I got mine. I haven't seen them in the local bookstores, not even in Chinese, but I think the usual suspects -no Page One anymore- but rather Kinokuniya -which has a great comic selection in its Breeze Center store- and even Eslite -in Dunhua or Taipei City Hall stores- might have them. Good luck.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 597 times
Has gotten kudos: 855 times

Postby Tempo Gain » Fri Feb 05, 2016 15:11

Page One definitely did, I bought one there. Too bad about them closing.

At least one collection in stock here:

http://www.books.com.tw/products/F010024280
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 137 times
Has gotten kudos: 169 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 18:39

Same for politics.
Including the shoes.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Return to Where can I find...?