Buying a New 150cc Scooter

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Re: Buying a New 150cc Scooter

Postby SlowRain » Sat Mar 26, 2016 18:38

The tire my mechanic put on is a Kenda K700. It is apparently made in Taiwan. That's not an endorsement, it's just letting you know what I have. I'll have to see how long it lasts.

The owner of the coffee shop I frequent also bought a Racing King 180, and his friends told him to get Michelin.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 84 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13

Here's Growler 2500 km in.

This aunty let's me park in her space right outside her house, so I've managed to avoid parking scratches and the like. The more I ride this scooter the more I like it. It's super comfortable, both for the driver and the passenger, although my boy and SO both complain that it's difficult for them to get on as they think it's too high.
However, even with a large passenger (80-120kg) there is no noticeable diminishment in speed, power and handling, the scooter handles very well in daily traffic (even when highly congested), and the brakes (not ABS) are excellent.
We've now driven daily on roads (usually heavy traffic), mountains, dirt roads and the beach (not on the sand). Petrol consumption is excellent as I get more than 200kms on a single tank of gas (NT$165-170, 95 octane) which lasts about a week (I drive about 30kms a day).
I reckon the acceleration from green lights is about the same as the Racing 150 and the Smax 155, but the advantage is that even with a passenger or when traveling on roads where the limit is 80-100 the scooter still has a lot of power and acceleration at that speed if you need to get away from something (whereas the smaller scooters just don't have anything left under those conditions). The only thing better, imo, would be to get an actual big bike (300+) or one of those massive 300+ scooters. However, except for the large scooters, nothing else would be as comfortable or as fuel efficient, and none would be as convenient regarding parking and maneuverability in the city.

I'd have to say I am very happy with this purchase and I would definitely recommend the Racing King 180 to anyone looking to buy a new scooter. :thumbsup:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post (total 4):
Bu Lai En (Tue Jul 05, 2016 19:12) • SlowRain (Tue Jul 05, 2016 18:51) • TainanCowboy (Tue Jul 05, 2016 14:17) • John Ross (Tue Jul 05, 2016 13:33)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 14:17

Good looking, and sounding 'scooter. I like that matt blue finish a lot also.
Good Luck and Be Safe ! :thumbsup:
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.

These users gave kudos to the author TainanCowboy for the post:
Kal El (Tue Jul 05, 2016 17:06)
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby Brokentailpipe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 08:16

I'm going to be in the market for a new scooter soon and I am interested in the RK180 but I find that most scooters get uncomfortable for any ride longer than 30 mins. What is your experience for longer rides?
Brokentailpipe
Learning the ropes

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby TainanCowboy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 08:34

Brokentailpipe wrote:I'm going to be in the market for a new scooter soon and I am interested in the RK180 but I find that most scooters get uncomfortable for any ride longer than 30 mins. What is your experience for longer rides?

Probably be a good 'scoot for ya.
Kal El cannopt answer the question because he has to stop every 15 minutes for a cigarette and coffee....(not that there's anything wrong with that :wink:)
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Jul 21, 2016 08:42

Brokentailpipe wrote:I'm going to be in the market for a new scooter soon and I am interested in the RK180 but I find that most scooters get uncomfortable for any ride longer than 30 mins. What is your experience for longer rides?

My morning school drop off ride for the boy is about 30 minutes there and back, and trips I've done out of town for an hour or more on the scooter haven't fazed me at all. I'll honestly say it's a very comfortable scooter, both in the city and for longer rides. My SO says the back seat is very comfortable for her too, so there's that to consider also.
I'd suggest you do what I did and take it for a test drive.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Previous

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan