Kell Brooks vs. Golovkin

Whether it's footie or football, tennis or dodgeball, Taiwanease has forums to talk about your favorite sport with like-minded souls.

Moderator: jimipresley

Kell Brooks vs. Golovkin

Postby Big Vern » Sat Jul 09, 2016 20:02

http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/36750995

In what way is this not insane? Brook's going up two divisions against one of the hardest hitting middleweights ever. In both hands. Just nuts.

Brave as, though. :bravo: :orz:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Kell Brooks vs. Golovkin

Postby flike » Sat Jul 09, 2016 20:42

Big Vern wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/36750995

In what way is this not insane? Brook's going up two divisions against one of the hardest hitting middleweights ever. In both hands. Just nuts.

Brave as, though. :bravo: :orz:

Wow. Yes, insane. Or brave, take your pick. :smile:

Maybe Brook was emboldened by the Thurman-Porter fight a few weeks back. Porter probably should have won that fight, imo, and of course Brook majority-decisioned Porter not long ago. But Golovkin is a whole nother level or three above Keith Thurman. And boxers as a rule ain't exactly famous for their brains.

Anyway, good luck Mr. Brook.
flike
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 104 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby flike » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:56

Well, that was fun. Kell Brooks did not fight like a boxer way out of his class.

He did better than I thought he would, and although he really did absorb a ton of punishment in the 5th round, I'm not sure I agree with his corner throwing in the towel. Brooks did take some really severe head shots in the final 15 seconds or so - no doubt - and Golovkin's power is unquestionable. Brooks was arguably faster than GGG in rounds 1-4. I think he won the 2nd round.

And Brooks did land some crowd-loved punches in the 5th, mostly ineffectual because he left his feet to throw them. Might be that is why his corner threw in the towel, thinking being that 1/a shit pile of GGG beatdowns have happened when he fights the way he did in the last 30 seconds of the 5th, and 2/Brooks leaving his feet was proof he was addled and the fight was going down that path.

That's probably the greediest/worst I've ever seen GGG. Usually he lays in many more body shots as investment before he goes headhunting. I think the British crowd did some real bear-baiting there, they really did get under his skin. You do not often see that with him. I guess you find small victories where you can with respect to GGG.

GGG is 34 years old (I believe), and it's probably easy to think he will soon be over the hill - maybe that what Brooks and his camp thought. Problem is that he's never even been knocked down - ever - and his fights for the past 5+ years have all ended in knockouts, technical or straight up. Kell Brooks didn't help me see his end on the horizon anytime soon.

Edit: so evidently Brooks' right eye socket was fractured in the 2nd. I saw no evidence of that, but his corner seems to have done the right thing.
flike
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 104 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Sep 11, 2016 18:22

Agree 100% with everything Flike has said. I didn't watch it live. Here's the fight if anyone is interested. The commentary is a tad biased, by the way. :smile: At times you'd think from the commentators that Brook was winning it even after the 3rd. :lol:

If I hadn't know the result before watching I'd have believed Brook had a chance after the 2nd. IMO he should have been pulled out after the 2nd if his corner suspected his eye socket was smashed. You don't risk a man's eyesight.

Brook fought really well and if he moves down a division he's going to be very dangerous. Golovkin didn't look as good as usual, but he had Brook pretty much covered. I like the way Golovkin acknowledges every power punch he ships with a nod of the head and then continues to plough forward. Good fight.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Return to Sports