What kind of visa to get to stay longer term (1-3 years)?

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

What kind of visa to get to stay longer term (1-3 years)?

Postby cazza » Thu Aug 11, 2016 07:09

I am currently living in Australia but my DH (Australian) has a portable job (can work anywhere there is internet) and I'd like to take the kids to Taiwan to live for a couple of years and learn the language.

I'm an Australian citizen but not a Taiwanese citizen (I have never lived more than 6 months in Taiwan at any point in my life). Both my parents are Taiwanese but they didn't get my citizenship for me when I was a child. Is it too late now to apply? (I am in my late 30s). I had a Taiwanese passport, but the embassy told my father that you can have a Taiwanese passport without being a Taiwanese citizen and they were not particularly helpful in giving other ideas about how I can make this work.

Otherwise I think my other option is to get a working visa (and ARC?). How many hours do you have to work to be sponsored? If anyone were to work, it would be me, as my DH already has a job that he loves. However I would be looking after the kids full time so I don't want a full time job but I could do a few hours/week, but would that be enough to be considered 'working'?
cazza
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: What kind of visa to get to stay longer term (1-3 years)?

Postby Kal El » Mon Aug 15, 2016 13:11

cazza wrote:I am currently living in Australia but my DH (Australian) has a portable job (can work anywhere there is internet) and I'd like to take the kids to Taiwan to live for a couple of years and learn the language.

I'm an Australian citizen but not a Taiwanese citizen (I have never lived more than 6 months in Taiwan at any point in my life). Both my parents are Taiwanese but they didn't get my citizenship for me when I was a child. Is it too late now to apply? (I am in my late 30s). I had a Taiwanese passport, but the embassy told my father that you can have a Taiwanese passport without being a Taiwanese citizen and they were not particularly helpful in giving other ideas about how I can make this work.

Otherwise I think my other option is to get a working visa (and ARC?). How many hours do you have to work to be sponsored? If anyone were to work, it would be me, as my DH already has a job that he loves. However I would be looking after the kids full time so I don't want a full time job but I could do a few hours/week, but would that be enough to be considered 'working'?

If both your parents were Taiwanese at your birth, then you are Taiwanese. Go to your local TECO/Taiwanese trade office and apply for your Taiwanese passport (no ID number). You can use that to enter Taiwan where you need to apply for a 台灣地區居留證 (Taiwan Area Residence Card - TARC). You keep that for one year without leaving Taiwan, set up your household registration (unless you have family here, then you can just register on theirs), and after one year you apply for your ID card.
This is generally the "overseas Chinese route", so as the child of two Taiwanese parents you may even not need to do the TARC year, you should be able to apply for household registration and an ID immediately once you are here.

Here's the Immigration Act for further reading.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Sat Sep 24, 2016 19:05) • John Ross (Mon Aug 15, 2016 15:02)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1199 times
Has gotten kudos: 1138 times

Postby Woodenathick » Thu Sep 22, 2016 17:54

Hello there,

I'have been married to a Taiwanese. My married life is't good and I suffered a lot in last few years. She attacks and abuses me in the car whenever we go out somewhere. When she drives while we are having quarrels, she tried to hit into some other cars on highway just to show how angry she is. During our quarrels, my wife always kept saying that I should get the citizenship and leave her. I have no choice now. I'm gonna apply for naturalization process next year. Is it possible that to get divorce right after I apply for naturalization and marry someone else when I get my TARC?
Woodenathick
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Sep 22, 2016 18:26

Woodenathick wrote:Hello there,

I'have been married to a Taiwanese. My married life is't good and I suffered a lot in last few years. She attacks and abuses me in the car whenever we go out somewhere. When she drives while we are having quarrels, she tried to hit into some other cars on highway just to show how angry she is. During our quarrels, my wife always kept saying that I should get the citizenship and leave her. I have no choice now. I'm gonna apply for naturalization process next year. Is it possible that to get divorce right after I apply for naturalization and marry someone else when I get my TARC?

Yes, it is.

Out of interest, what areas of Taiwan do you drive in? It's dangerous enough as it is.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 552 times
Has gotten kudos: 879 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Sep 22, 2016 23:14

Woodenathick wrote:Is it possible that to get divorce right after I apply for naturalization and marry someone else when I get my TARC?

You can get divorced and re-marry as soon as you have your TARC. A TARC = Taiwanese nationality.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Fri Sep 23, 2016 21:38

Woodenathick wrote:Is it possible that to get divorce right after I apply for naturalization and marry someone else when I get my TARC?

Since you mention the possibility of marrying someone else soon, you should perhaps be especially careful while you're still married to woman number one. If you are found to have had an affair, Taiwan might strip you of citizenship.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 164 times
Has gotten kudos: 461 times

Postby Woodenathick » Mon Sep 26, 2016 04:24

Big Vern wrote:
Woodenathick wrote:Hello there,

Yes, it is.

Out of interest, what areas of Taiwan do you drive in? It's dangerous enough as it is.

Usually on highways :) and Hsinchu area.
Woodenathick
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Woodenathick » Mon Sep 26, 2016 04:28

Kal El wrote:

You can get divorced and re-marry as soon as you have your TARC. A TARC = Taiwanese nationality.

Thanks a lot for taking your precious time to reply and the information.
Woodenathick
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Woodenathick » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:18

cranky laowai wrote:

Since you mention the possibility of marrying someone else soon, you should perhaps be especially careful while you're still married to woman number one. If you are found to have had an affair, Taiwan might strip you of citizenship.

Presently I'm not into in any other relationship but I can't deny the possibility of having one later as I don't want to stay single for long. I have heard of the incident from other forums in Taiwan before. The news made me bit concerned and I googled for more information on it, I found this http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editori ... 2003579036 where it is quoted as "Under the law, foreigners who obtain ROC citizenship can be stripped of their status if they engage in criminal activity or fail to demonstrate good morals over the following five years.""

Not sure having second relation considered to be a criminal activity here in Taiwan. Does anyone have any idea about such law?
Woodenathick
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:29

Woodenathick wrote:
Not sure having second relation considered to be a criminal activity here in Taiwan. Does anyone have any idea about such law?

Mea culpa. The moment I touched down at CKS they had to introduce some kind of law. I don't blame them.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 552 times
Has gotten kudos: 879 times

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:38

If your ex decides that you don't have good morals and makes a complaint, then the authorities have to follow up. So yeah, she can get you stripped of your citizenship with little more than a phonecall and filling out a few forms.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 311 times
Has gotten kudos: 834 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:43

sandman wrote:If your ex decides that you don't have good morals and makes a complaint, then the authorities have to follow up. So yeah, she can get you stripped of your citizenship with little more than a phonecall and filling out a few forms.

Nonsense.

Woodenathick wrote:Presently I'm not into in any other relationship but I can't deny the possibility of having one later as I don't want to stay single for long. I have heard of the incident from other forums in Taiwan before. The news made me bit concerned and I googled for more information on it, I found this http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editori ... 2003579036 where it is quoted as "Under the law, foreigners who obtain ROC citizenship can be stripped of their status if they engage in criminal activity or fail to demonstrate good morals over the following five years.""

Regarding your situation, any investigation into the matter will only support the case if it is proven without a doubt that you were engaged in an extra-marital sexual relationship. Of course, under the loose terms of the law, it could be argued that you don't demonstrate good morals if it can be proven that you habitually have one night stands or something of that nature. But being divorced and then getting a gf after the divorce wouldn't cause you to lose your citizenship.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
Woodenathick (Thu Sep 29, 2016 01:37)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:46

Of course, under the loose terms of the law

Absolutely. "Loose morals" is a catch-all. Drinking a beer outside 7-11 could be construed as "loose morals" if someone decides so. If you think that's nonsense, good for you. Its not something I would personally take on chance, though.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 311 times
Has gotten kudos: 834 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:49

sandman wrote:
Of course, under the loose terms of the law

Absolutely. "Loose morals" is a catch-all. Drinking a beer outside 7-11 could be construed as "loose morals" if someone decides so. If you think that's nonsense, good for you. Its not something I would personally take on chance, though.

Talking to you lot on here could be considered "loose morals" by some, but just as with drinking a beer outside a 7-11 I have never heard or read about anyone who has lost their citizenship over such a triviality in the five year "waiting" period.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:53

Let's just say I know a bloke personally (and it's not anyone who has ever posted here or on Forumosa) who got divorced during his TARC year, and re-married within that year. His divorce was also fairly ugly and his ex did try that shit, but the government told her to feck off. I advised him against doing it (being over cautious, just in case), but he followed his own advice. He didn't have any problems.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Next

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan