Miracle Whip?

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Dragonbones

Forum rules
1) Please search before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one.

3) Please post separately for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator (right now, that's me, Dragonbones) asking for help. Happy posting!

Miracle Whip?

Postby maoman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 16:16

I haven't seen it at any of the usual places (Breeze, Anhe Road Wellcome, Wellmans) for a long time. :confused:

Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1335 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Miracle Whip?

Postby Icon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 16:27

Saw a couple in Xindian at Wellcome. City Super had run out of it last time I went.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby maoman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 20:28

Bump
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Feb 15, 2017 21:48

Dunno but Costco Neihu (today) had a new egg-free brand you could try, to compare.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 532 times
Has gotten kudos: 1052 times

Postby Kal El » Wed Feb 15, 2017 22:53

Dragonbones wrote:Dunno but Costco Neihu (today) had a new egg-free brand you could try, to compare.

C'mon, mate! Can't you make your own? :wink:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post (total 2):
Icon (Thu Feb 16, 2017 14:09) • Toad (Thu Feb 16, 2017 01:02)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1214 times
Has gotten kudos: 1149 times

Postby maoman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 00:10

Dragonbones wrote:Dunno but Costco Neihu (today) had a new egg-free brand you could try, to compare.

It was my experience with that (blech) that prompted me to revisit this topic.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post:
Icon (Thu Feb 16, 2017 14:09)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Postby flike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 03:03

maoman wrote:

It was my experience with that (blech) that prompted me to revisit this topic.

:smile:

Wait - crappy Miracle Whip and a crappy Costco Miracle Whip substitute, your deal breaks over the difference in flavor?!

No wonder you post pics of ice hockey in Taiwan, you are terminally North American (I too suffer). :lol:

My friend, you need a blender, some eggs, some soybean oil, some mustard powder, some high-fructose corn syrup, some vinegar, and some salt and pepper. And possibly some paprika. (Me, I'd throw in some salt-peter and some dirt - can't hurt) Most importantly you'll need time to experiment. Your Jonesin' is likely too strong to survive anything less, not in a full-crave mood anyway (been there, done that with Hellman's mayo).

Best of luck.

PS I saw some spackling paste in a DIY shop in Hsinchu a couple weeks ago, over CNY. Might be worth a shot, as a base. :thumbsup:

These users gave kudos to the author flike for the post:
maoman (Thu Feb 16, 2017 09:37)
flike
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 104 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby Bubbha » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:14

No mayonnaise (e.g. Hellmans/Best Foods)?
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 271 times

Postby maoman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:21

Can't find that, either. No shortage of olive oil at Jason's, though.

maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Postby Toad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:08

Bubbha wrote:No mayonnaise (e.g. Hellmans/Best Foods)?

I was looking all over for mayonnaise yesterday. Doesn't exist. All I could find was (a) the ghastly Taiwanese stuff made with sugar or (b) the ghastly American 'low fat' stuff made with God-knows-what.

Yes, I know you can make your own. I bought a balloon whisk instead.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby Dragonbones » Thu Feb 16, 2017 13:52

Mayfull and Xizhi Carrefour's import section often have some that looks decent (based on the ingredients -- eggs, oil, mustard, lemon juice, not much else), and the latter location has reasonable prices, not $300/jar for a tiny jar.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 532 times
Has gotten kudos: 1052 times

Postby Icon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 13:55

Miracle Whip ocassionally pops up in City Super. Will keep an eye out for you at Fuxing but maybe they have it at the big one in Banqiao? Or under the Far East Hotel? That is the only place where I can reabilish-ly say Miracle Whip might have an uncertain medium sized possibility of being found.

Foreign imports are really a hit or miss issue. They brought some Waitrose mayo at Jason's... gone. Sandwich spread at City Super? Gone. I ain't buying egg less mayo. That is wrong.

Currently, I am using organic mustard with apple cider vinegar on my sandwiches. Very tasty. And my last batch of Waitrose mayo. When it is gone, I will cry.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Toad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 14:03

reabilish-ly

Xizhi Carrefour

Bit of a long trip for me, unfortunately. Tried Shilin Carrefour, Jasons, City Super. I'm happy to report none of them carry Miracle Whip either :grin:
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Return to Where can I find...?