Tricky sobriety test from Woods

Whether it's footie or football, tennis or dodgeball, Taiwanease has forums to talk about your favorite sport with like-minded souls.

Moderator: jimipresley

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:29

I'm not sure about the ethics of the police releasing this, although it is very funny. Also, is it necessary to go through so many procedures to confirm that it's bleedin' obvious he's off his tits?

It kicks in at around the 4 minute mark, for those with short attention spans who get easily frustrated.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Tricky sobriety test from Woods

Postby Toad » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44

Haven't the Americans invented breathalysers yet?
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51

Toad wrote:Haven't the Americans invented breathalysers yet?

Supposedly it was prescription drugs. But, even so, what a waste of the police officers' time. At the point where he couldn't untie his shoelaces I'd have taken him down the cop shop for a blood test.

I don't think they use breathalysers, but perhaps an American could correct me on this.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 16:06

I had read about a cop that has arrested hundreds of people for DUI, all based on his "perception". No blood test, no breath analyzer. He says you're drunk so you are. Many jobs lost, many lives ruined. So it would seem that "scientific" evidence of drunkness is debatable.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 16:21

Icon wrote:I had read about a cop that has arrested hundreds of people for DUI, all based on his "perception". No blood test, no breath analyzer. He says you're drunk so you are. Many jobs lost, many lives ruined. So it would seem that "scientific" evidence of drunkness is debatable.

Which country was that in?

That's why you need a breathalyzer followed by a blood test. Unless you is guilty, in which case you are asthmatic and scared of needles.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Toad » Thu Jun 01, 2017 16:35

Big Vern wrote:... what a waste of the police officers' time. At the point where he couldn't untie his shoelaces I'd have taken him down the cop shop for a blood test.

Possibly there is no test (or no specified limit) for whatever-it-was he'd ingested. I guess they can't cover every possible substance so they have to use these behaviour-based tests.

I had read about a cop that has arrested hundreds of people for DUI, all based on his "perception".

American cops do have a reputation as being the real-life version of Viz's Bottom Inspectors - a bizarre combination of simmering resentment, bureaucratic anal-retentiveness, and low intelligence. I suppose dealing with the American public would turn anybody into a candidate for the nuthouse (Broadmoor, possibly). Perhaps there ought to be a time limit for employment out on the streets, after which you get forcibly moved to a nice desk job.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 17:40

Doing the test efficiently:

Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 18:44

Big Vern wrote:
Icon wrote:I had read about a cop that has arrested hundreds of people for DUI, all based on his "perception". No blood test, no breath analyzer. He says you're drunk so you are. Many jobs lost, many lives ruined. So it would seem that "scientific" evidence of drunkness is debatable.

That's why you need a breathalyzer followed by a blood test. Unless you is guilty, in which case you are asthmatic and scared of needles.

Chicago or Florida, can't remember.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 18:51

Icon wrote:
Big Vern wrote:

Chicago or Florida, can't remember.

Cripes! We had a possible faulty breathalyzer issue in the UK some time ago, but it was dismissed in court. To obtain convictions based upon a perception? That's seriously screwed up. A bit like ice skating only with a negative result.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cfimages » Thu Jun 01, 2017 21:12

In Australia it's usually breathalyzer, and if that's over the limit, you're taken to the police station for a blood test. Can't imagine how they could do it simply on perception.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00XS using Tapatalk
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 702 times
Has gotten kudos: 922 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 21:17

cfimages wrote:In Australia it's usually breathalyzer, and if that's over the limit, you're taken to the police station for a blood test. Can't imagine how they could do it simply on perception.

Sounds normal.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby HeadhonchoII » Sat Jun 03, 2017 13:41

It's not such a dumb system, the tests they ask you do are directly related to your motor function, co-ordination, consciousness and balance.

Then what they are supposed to do is breathalyze you. Some do it the other way round of course.

The only really accurate drug test or alcohol test is from a blood sample (fresh sample). That is what police forces are supposed to do when they get a positive on the breathalyzer or you were in a serious accident.

You need to test from the blood sample because a breathalyzer result is simply not accurate enough to stand up in court especially for drug use.

A lot of common prescription or even Over the counter drugs can give a false positive for illicit drugs.
Benadryl for amphetamines.
Scopolamine (anti seasickness) for cocaine
Codeine or even poppy or sesame seeds for opiates.

This stuff is my day job.

THC and other active ingredients in marijuana are really tricky because they don't stick around long in your breath but can remain in blood for days.
That means you could get done for marijuana use but you had smoked a couple of days previously and it didn't have any effect on your nervous system when driving....but if they go by the THC level in blood only you are screwed. So in this cases measuring the breath only gives a much clearer indication that you had smoked recently and therefore could be an impaired driver due to substance abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Return to Sports