Hiking in Taiwan

Hiking in Taiwan

Postby Hiking Dude » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05

I thought Taiwanease deserves its own hiking thread.

Today I was hiking Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina (East US most rugged mountain).
Doing 8 km in 6 hours. I might do other hikes before being back to Taiwan in July.
Giving my legs a rest

What are your favorite hiking trails in Taiwan?
Would you be interested in having a regular hike with Taiwaneasians?

I find hiking a much nicer workout than going to a gym (weather permitting).
On top of the exercise, you get fresher air, in summer the mountains are much cooler and on top you get a great view.
Mountains over a certain altitude have no bugs (they hate wind).
Hiking Dude

Re: Hiking in Taiwan

Postby zyzzx » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:07

Anonymous wrote:I thought Taiwanease deserves its own hiking thread.

Today I was hiking Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina (East US most rugged mountain).

Awesome! Which trail did you do? Grandfather mountain is very near where my parents live, and I've hiked there several times. All during the winter though, which can be a little limiting (and cold and icy). That whole area is great for hiking - there are a number of trails off the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you have time, you should check out Linville falls.
zyzzx
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 9 times

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 22:46

zyzzx wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I thought Taiwanease deserves its own hiking thread.

Awesome! Which trail did you do? Grandfather mountain is very near where my parents live, and I've hiked there several times. All during the winter though, which can be a little limiting (and cold and icy). That whole area is great for hiking - there are a number of trails off the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you have time, you should check out Linville falls.

I did the Grandfather Trail from the parking lot until Calloway Peak, then back with a swing by at Watauga View and a bit down at Shanty Springs.
Then back up to Grandfather Trail and down on the Underwood Trail junction on the way back.
The chute was the most annoying part (that part took me an hour as it was a bit slippery on the way back).
I'll see how the weather goes this weekend and might go back for some of the falls. Blue Ridge is amazing.

End of this months I'll try the north peak of Yushan. Wonder how that will be.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 13, 2012 03:10

Taroko and other national parks are closed due to the heavy rain this week:

English for Taroko: http://www.taroko.gov.tw/English/?mm=0&sm=0&page=3
Chinese for Sheipa: http://mountain.ysnp.gov.tw/chinese/New ... 337&n=1001

Rough Translation of the Sheipa Park announcement:
Subject: Notice. With immediate effect as of June 12, 2012 there is a total ban on the park's ecological protected areas and any park activities.
Reasons: Article 19 of the National Parks Act, the Disaster Prevention and Response Act.
Announcement:
The Central Weather Bureau issued a heavy rain report, with immediate effect since June 12, 2012, causing a total ban on park activities.
In accordance with the application to enter the provisions of Article 8 of the Yushan National Park ecological protected areas, control points should be repealed; its necessary to re-apply when you want to re-enter the area; After the lifting of the rain advisory, depending on the disaster recovery situation, park operations will resume normally.

主旨:公告自101年6月12日即時起全面禁止本園生態保護區之入園活動。
依據:國家公園法第十九條、災害防救法。
公告事項:
一、中央氣象局發布豪(大)雨特報,自101年6月12日即時起,全面禁止入園活動。
二、豪(大)雨特報停止入園期間,原已核發之入園許可證,依申請進入玉山國家公園生態保護區管制要點第八條之規定應予廢止;欲再進入本區時需重新申請;豪(大)雨特報解除後,視災害復原情形,恢復受理入園活動。
Anonymous

Postby kage » Wed Aug 22, 2012 19:13

Anonymous wrote:End of this months I'll try the north peak of Yushan. Wonder how that will be.

Sweet! You got a permit! Lucky you! Hard to do that without connections.
kage
Taiwanease Gentry

Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: AW: Hiking in Taiwan

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:21

kage wrote:
Anonymous wrote:End of this months I'll try the north peak of Yushan. Wonder how that will be.

Not really. Just apply well in advance and pray for good weather. The lodge places are the major issue. :grin:
Anonymous

Postby Omniloquacious » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06

Anonymous wrote:I find hiking a much nicer workout than going to a gym (weather permitting).

A thousand times nicer, indeed! Good exercise, fresh air, beautiful surroundings, serene tranquility, fascinating fauna and flora, the invigorating intake of negative ions and phytoncides, and all the other physical and emotional balms of a natural environment.

If a hike can be combined with a dip or two in unpolluted waters of stream, lake or sea, and in congenial company, then it's an absolutely perfect way to use and enjoy free time.

Oh yes, I'm a hiking enthusiast!
Omniloquacious
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 59 times
Has gotten kudos: 168 times

Postby kelake » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:30

Can anyone recommend a book or website with a list of day hikes in Northern/Central Taiwan? I try to get out every week but am getting tired of our usual trails.
kelake
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Taffy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:58

Might be a bit far north for you, but Richard Saunders has three books that cover hiking in northern Taiwan. One is exclusively Yangming Shan hikes, but the other two might have something closer to Xinzhu.

http://www.communitycenter.org.tw/publi ... -day-trips
Taffy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 227 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Re: AW: Hiking in Taiwan

Postby CTaitung » Thu Feb 07, 2013 17:03

Anonymous wrote:
kage wrote:

Not really. Just apply well in advance and pray for good weather. The lodge places are the major issue. :grin:

Congrats on that, too. Thought Jade Mountain was closed for a few months during wintertime? Did this change, or.....?

The missus and I climbed the main peak during one April a few years ago with a small group under a tour package (handled all the permits, etc.). Our local guide offered (and a few of us took him up on it) to take us first on the hike to the observatory on the north peak instead of waiting in the long slow line of headlamps to get to the main peak before sunrise. No one was doing that path to the north peak, so we had it to ourselves. Then when we finally went back and climbed the main peak, by mid-morning, all the other climbers had "taken their sunrise pictures" gone back down to base camp, and no one was there but us 5 or 6. Had the peak to ourselves for 15 or so minutes, which is unheard of.

For all those who have never climbed Jade Mountain: it is VERY easy. The path to the base camp is very simple and safe. Grandmas and Grandpas were doing it. And considering it's the highest peak in East Asia, it should be on people's bucket list who live in Taiwan.
CTaitung
Learning the ropes

Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Postby Bubbha » Thu Feb 07, 2013 21:30

Taffy wrote:Might be a bit far north for you, but Richard Saunders has three books that cover hiking in northern Taiwan. One is exclusively Yangming Shan hikes, but the other two might have something closer to Xinzhu.

Highly recommended for anyone who loves hiking and lives in (or is visiting) the Taipei area.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 274 times

Postby kelake » Fri Feb 08, 2013 07:32

Taffy wrote:Might be a bit far north for you, but Richard Saunders has three books that cover hiking in northern Taiwan. One is exclusively Yangming Shan hikes, but the other two might have something closer to Xinzhu.

Thank you Taffy.
kelake
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby chung » Tue Mar 05, 2013 01:03

kelake wrote:Can anyone recommend a book or website with a list of day hikes in Northern/Central Taiwan? I try to get out every week but am getting tired of our usual trails.

No need to go all the way up to Taipei. IMHO, the best day walks in the north are in Fuxing and Jianshih.

Beihen 20
1. Najieshan 那結山, 1520 m
2. Niaozueishan 鳥嘴山, 1749 m
3. Fufushan (wife) 夫婦山, 1780 m
4. Jianshan 興尖山, 1852 m
5. Fufushan (husband) 夫婦山, 1870 m
6. Meigueisimoshan 玫瑰西魔山, 1871 m
7. Lengshan 稜山, 1889 m
8. Lupaishan 魯培山, 1905 m
9. Nanchatianshan 南插天山, 1907 m
10. Lidongshan 李棟山, 1914 m
11. Chilanshan 棲蘭山, 1918 m
12. Lalashan 拉拉山, 2030 m
13. Tangsueishan 唐穗山, 2090 m
14. Babokulushan 巴博庫魯山, 2101 m
15. Tamanshan 塔曼山, 2130 m
16. Dilushan 低陸山, 2160 m
17. Hulishan 虎禮山, 2276 m
18. Yufongshan 玉峰山, 2300 m
19. Siciousihshan 西丘斯山, 2427 m
20. Xuebaishan 白的山, 2444 m

Northern Cross-Island Highway Footpaths ( No. 7 highway marker)
12.1 km > Sanmin Bat Cave...
16.3 km > Jiaobanshan, Jinpingshan...
17.7 km > Dongyanshan, Zhihjishan...
20.7 km > Xiao Wulai > Hewei Ancient Trees, Beichatianshan, Nanchatianshan, Lupaishan, Daishihfushan...
22.7 km > Luofu > Roma Rd.
28.2 km > Dawan > Najieshan...
31.1 km > Xuewu Tunnel > Fufushan...
39.9 km > Gaoyi > Yingshan...
46.5 km > Baling Bridge.
47.4 km > Galahe > Xuebaishan, Tangsueishan, Dilushan, Yufongshan, Siciousihshan...
47.8 km > Shang Baling > Lalashan Ancient Trees, Tamanshan, Meigueisimoshan, Baling-Fushan Trail...
59.3 km > Jianshan...
61.5 km > Lengshan
67.0 km > Mingchih > Babokulushan, Chilanshan, Songluohu ...
chung
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Postby vay » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:34

I've got a couple more days on my own before I re-unite with my family. Was wondering if anyone knows some less common hikes in the Yang Ming Shan area? Last I checked, Da Tun Mountain was off limits, as the road was out.
Journalist: "Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?"
Cigarette industry executive: "No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements."
vay
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 26 times
Has gotten kudos: 27 times

Postby malio » Thu Nov 02, 2017 05:46

I'm planning a trip to Taiwan and wanted exploring nature to be a big part of my trip. Is there any recommended must see places. I'm hoping to take two to three weeks to explore as much of the island as I can. Let me know if you have any recommendations on must see and off the beaten path places. Please no Taipei 101.
malio
1st post! Welcome to Taiwanease!

Return to Travel in Taiwan