Maiden/ married name and proof of relationship

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Maiden/ married name and proof of relationship

Postby Jaboney » Tue May 08, 2018 01:01

Recently, my mother passed away back home in Canada.
I missed a fair amount of work, and we spent a lot on plane fares as her illness progressed, bouncing back and forth, saying farewells and caring for her.
Helpfully, the school where I work forwarded information regarding a bereavement benefit for which I qualify.
Unhelpfully, there are discrepancies in the required paperwork.

Specifically, my birth certificate lists my mother's maiden name (Maiden Surname, Given name, Middle name);
her death certificate lists my mother's married name (Given name, Middle name, Married Surname).
These documents were authenticated by the Taiwanese rep office in Vancouver.
The local bureaucrats are displeased that the surnames do not match, and that the order is inconsistent.

I'm having my sister order a certified copy of our parents' marriage certificate, which will again list Mom's maiden name, and Dad's surname, but not Mom's married surname, and I'm sure there will be more difficulties.

Any guidance on navigating this issue would be greatly appreciated. The benefit is enough to make things a little easier at a difficult time. I'd like to get it done.

Many thanks.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 200 times
Has gotten kudos: 429 times

Re: Maiden/ married name and proof of relationship

Postby cranky laowai » Tue May 08, 2018 11:56

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Have you been using your parents as tax deductions? If not, you most certainly should. This can even be claimed retroactively for, I think, seven years; so there would be some money coming to you for that.

If you have been getting the deduction, perhaps you already have paperwork that will make the gummit people happy (e.g., official-looking correspondence (e.g., Medicaid or insurance statement) addressed to your parents, with both of them at the same address). So much depends upon the person behind the desk that day, though.

Good luck.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 164 times
Has gotten kudos: 461 times

Postby Jaboney » Tue May 08, 2018 17:55

Thank you.

No, I have not so claimed.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 200 times
Has gotten kudos: 429 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Wed May 09, 2018 00:28

Jaboney, condolences on your mom's passing. I am sorry that I can't offer any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]

These users gave kudos to the author Just Jennifer for the post:
Jaboney (Wed May 09, 2018 09:58)
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1825 times
Has gotten kudos: 319 times

Return to General Legal Matters