What should Taiwaneasy be? What should it NOT be?

Let us know how you feel about Taiwanease and tell us how it could improve. You can also send email to admin (at) taiwaneasy.tw or leave us a message at +886 935-560-995

Moderators: maoman, Moderators

Re: What should Taiwaneasy be? What should it NOT be?

Postby SlowRain » Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:02

We already have a boisterous forum. No need to reinvent the wheel. Why not differentiate this place as the civil forum? Try to attract professionals and people who are no longer roudy. Elevate things a bit, don't roll in the mire. Yes, perhaps it'll involve some non-Taiwan-related discussions (contrary to my suggestion), but only if the moderators feel it stimulates membership and doesn't degenerate into a free-for-all. Social media may have convinced people that civil discussion is extinct, but that's not the case. And, as far as conversation about controversial topics goes, save that for the face-to-face meetups where it is best anyway.

Plus, owners and moderators of any internet site/group should be keenly aware of politically motivated bad actors causing disturbances just for the sake of social upheaval.

For what it's worth, boring forums are some of the most interesting ones if the topic under discussion is relevant to your needs. What need is Taiwaneasy trying to fill?

These users gave kudos to the author SlowRain for the post:
jimipresley (Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:06)
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 94 times
Has gotten kudos: 46 times

Postby SlowRain » Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:20

Another suggestion would be to have more family-related discussions on here (and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have kids). People who are focused on their families tend to be a little more balanced and have their priorities in better order.

Also, recruit more women to post here, too. That'll probably be the fastest way to boost new sign-ups.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Mon Jan 28, 2019 23:59

SlowRain wrote:Another suggestion would be to have more family-related discussions on here (and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have kids). People who are focused on their families tend to be a little more balanced and have their priorities in better order.

Also, recruit more women to post here, too. That'll probably be the fastest way to boost new sign-ups.

How do you recruit more women?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby SlowRain » Tue Jan 29, 2019 08:49

Assuming all of us start posting more often here, and that the posts are on-topic and decent, then it'd be from mentioning it--online or face-to-face--to people we already know and new ones we meet. That applies to both male and female potential members. But, it's important that we have a few current discussions going which are relevant to the kinds of people we'd like to attract.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Kal El » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:21

SlowRain wrote:Another suggestion would be to have more family-related discussions on here (and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have kids). People who are focused on their families tend to be a little more balanced and have their priorities in better order.

The problem is, family oriented people don't tend to spend much time on forums.

It's great that we're the civil forum, but we've also become the boring (quiet) forum. No one really posts here anymore, and when someone does start a thread it hardly ever gets to three pages, except after a good long while. I log on most days to see what's up, and most days there are no new posts. Personally, I don't think there's place in Taiwan for two Taiwan related forums. Forumosa attracts all the newbies and we're sat here with all the lifers/long term posters. One the one hand it makes us more civil, but on the other hand it makes us quiet. What with social media etc, I'm not sure there's really much we can do to address the issue. Also, is it really an issue? :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby SlowRain » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52

Nobody should spend MUCH time on forums. They're just a modern construct that takes time away from real-world activities. However, get enough people posting a bit of useful material and you have an online community. They are, however, a useful tool for sharing knowledge and having discussions when distance and time are factors.

Civil doesn't equal boring--only to roudy people. Boring is when there is nothing of interest to us happening. Some of us are on holidays now, and all of us will be on holidays next week. If time allows after family obligations have been met, we should each post something of interest to us.

Oh, and get off Facebook.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Poagao » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:12

More rainbows.

And bears. Bears are positive, right?
Poagao
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 42 times
Has gotten kudos: 141 times

Postby maoman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22

Is anyone thinking beyond forums?
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1854 times
Has gotten kudos: 1340 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Kal El » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06

SlowRain wrote:Civil doesn't equal boring--only to roudy people. Boring is when there is nothing of interest to us happening.

I agree, but I used the term more in terms of quiet, i.e. little to no posting. Perhaps because there aren't many of us? I do think there's a lot happening in the world and in Taiwan that interests us, but that brings me back to Maoman's last post:

maoman wrote:Is anyone thinking beyond forums?

Instead of posting here, I think a lot of people post on threads on Facebook etc. Usually on something a friend posted or shared, or on a page you're a member of. It's also just easier, because it's not just on your PC, it's on your phone. So you read something or or see something of interest when you're on the MRT, waiting at the doctor's office or whatever, hit share and there you go. Later someone posts, you post a reply or a friend of a friend that can see it replies and so on.

Ease of posting and sharing is definitely something you can look into maybe.
Ease of use on mobile devices is another, either using an app (especially Android) or maybe the page on FB or other social media outlets.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby LostInTaipei » Wed Jan 30, 2019 13:00

Kal El wrote:Ease of use on mobile devices is another.

This is a big one. Getting to next page of a discussion is very difficult on my iPhone.
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 162 times

Postby tango42 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:50

People don’t have time and just aren’t used to using forums anymore. They go on Facebook with a question, and then mostly uninformed people try to answer, then that info good or bad (usually bad), is lost until the question comes up again.

Forums like taiwaneasy and forumosa have the best, accurate, experienced, in-depth, easy-to-locate, latest answers. That needs to be publicized to people through marketing. If everyone that lands or lives in Taiwan was well-informed of this info, then activity would increase from both new arrivals and long-termed.

If real names/identity is required, then I’ll watch, but never participate. People have reason’s to want, or not want, privacy and anonymity. Some reason’s are personal and some reason’s are professional.
tango42
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Postby Bubbha » Sun May 19, 2019 21:48

After a long hiatus from this site, I'm stepping in, months past these discussions, to say I like what you've done with the place.

These users gave kudos to the author Bubbha for the post:
jimipresley (Sun May 19, 2019 21:53)
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 274 times

Previous

Return to Feedback & Announcements