Home oven recommendations

Taiwaneasia has its own community of gastronomic aficionados. Join us for useful discussions about food, recipes, and nutrition.

Moderator: Dragonbones

Re: Home oven recommendations

Postby SlowRain » Mon Jan 21, 2019 13:14

OK, good. I bought the Dr. Goods oven and Lodge griddle yesterday. What's the cheapest you've seen that 5-quart Double Dutch oven for? I can only find it online for NT$2500.

You can turn your Lodge Double Dutch oven upside down and put your boule in the preheated shallower skillet section (without needing cooking paper) to avoid burning your hands.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 93 times
Has gotten kudos: 46 times

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Jan 22, 2019 08:49

SlowRain wrote:What's the cheapest you've seen that 5-quart Double Dutch oven for? I can only find it online for NT$2500.

$1050 when Costco briefly had them once or twice (about 7 and 5 years ago?).

You can turn your Lodge Double Dutch oven upside down and put your boule in the preheated shallower skillet section (without needing cooking paper) to avoid burning your hands.

Feel free to experiment. If you put it in the deeper section you get more side support if you have a larger, slacker boule. :idunno:

Enjoy the oven!
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
SlowRain (Tue Jan 22, 2019 13:33)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 540 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Postby SlowRain » Tue Jan 22, 2019 09:28

I have a question about the oven. I don't know if it's just how it's supposed to work or a faulty thermostat. I wanted to see how well it holds a given temperature, so I put an oven thermometer onto the lower rack and set the top and bottom elements to 170°C (I haven't put the cast-iron griddle in yet because I'm looking around for some pieces of flooring tile). The top element kicked out when the center of the oven hit 170°C, but the bottom element kept going until the center of the oven hit 200°C. I did the same thing again, but setting the top to 170°C and the bottom to about 145°C. The top element kicked out when the center of the oven hit 170°C and the bottom around 180°C. Is it normal to have to set the bottom element lower to achieve the desired temperature? And, if so, how does your griddle affect things?

For what it's worth, I cranked both top and bottom to 250°C, and it seemed to max out at 246°C, according to the thermometer I bought, anyway.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58

Dunno, I never put a thermometer in it other than to ensure it hit 250 when I first bought it (it did). Every oven is different, as bakers have always known, so adjust accordingly. I always preheat adequately so that the oven uses as much latent heat (rather than a top element constantly on), and bake at about 10 degrees less than recipes call for, and I cover things after about 6-10 minutes that might burn on top depending on their sugar content, moisture and how near they are to the top element.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
SlowRain (Tue Jan 22, 2019 13:32)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 540 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Postby SlowRain » Fri Feb 01, 2019 20:12

I don't know where to get pieces of ceramic floor tile, so this will do for now. I bought some ceramic tea-cup coasters (NT$15 each). I turned one over in the picture to show the other side, and you can also see how I positioned them. Then I put the Lodge Double Play Griddle (LDP3) on them. It's about 3-4mm above the bottom like this. Is that high enough? However, it took a long time to get past 230°C, and the highest it got was 240°C. Do you leave the griddle in there all the time, or just when you're making pizza?

ImageImage
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby LostInTaipei » Fri Feb 01, 2019 20:37

For pizza: I have a rack in the lowest shelf slot, and then put the Lodge double play griddle on top of that shelf, so not on the very bottom level like you've got it here. That works well for pizza for me. I preheat at max for 45-60 minutes; a pizza is usually cooked in about 10 minutes. I rotate the pizza about halfway through, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. I've never used ceramic tiles like you've got here.

Small caveat for pizza: with that griddle, you can't make a big round pizza. Usually I make two smaller pizzas instead: each can barely fit on either half of the griddle, but more often these days I'll just make them in turn. For my purposes this works well because my significant other is vegetarian and I'm not.

I try to remember to take the griddle out when I'm not taking pizza, but sometimes I forget. I figure if I keep it in, heating the oven will take more energy - but I don't worry about it too much, because if the griddle is in there, the oven will presumably retain heat better. The only time it's been a significant hassle is if I'll preheat the oven for something else, open it to put the Dutch oven in, and then realize "Oh crap, I've got to get this very hot griddle out of here." (That's an annoying enough mistake that I've only made it once!)

My Dutch oven doesn't fit if I have the shelf even in the bottom slot; what I do instead is rest the wire shelf on the bottom of the oven, and then put the Dutch oven on top of that. I confess the stability of this bothered me for the first couple of years, but now I (perhaps foolishly) don't worry about it.

And looking at your oven ... man, I've got to figure out how to clean mine properly.

These users gave kudos to the author LostInTaipei for the post:
SlowRain (Fri Feb 01, 2019 21:24)
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 162 times

Postby SlowRain » Sun Feb 03, 2019 18:05

I roasted a chicken today in the Lodge cast-iron Dutch oven. I left the griddle in place to see how it would affect things. It's possible that it helps with temperature stability, but I have other issues/quirks with my oven.

Knowing my oven runs a bit cool with the griddle in it, I set the oven for 200°C when I was preheating my Dutch oven, hoping for about 190°C. The elements kicked out at about 170°C. I set the top element to 205°C and the bottom one to about 215°C. That got me to 200°C. But it only held for a little while. Then it dropped to 195°C, 190°C, and was at 185°C after an hour of roasting. I took the lid off and cranked the top element to 250°C to crisp up the skin a bit. After about 10 minutes, it hit 205°C, after which I took it out.

I'll try it again, but without the griddle next time. It could also be possible that my oven thermometer is wonky. I think anyone buying one of these ovens should get an oven thermometer, though, to get a better idea of what's going on in there for possible temperature stability/consistency issues.

These users gave kudos to the author SlowRain for the post:
jimipresley (Mon Feb 04, 2019 07:02)
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Previous

Return to Gourmet & Gourmand