The Game of Thrones Page - Spoiler Alert

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Re: The Game of Thrones Page - Spoiler Alert

Postby Kal El » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:40

cranky laowai wrote:Er, OK. :idunno:

But the bit with Gendry felt like fan-girl service. Were the writers under the impression that Arya needed empowerment? And if it was meant to humanize her, maybe if she'd seemed a bit less bossy.... (Or perhaps the problem wasn't in the scene itself but with cuts from Singapore. I haven't seen the uncensored version.)

But I'm not impatient for enormous battles, dragons, etc. Conversations are fine by me.

I liked the second episode, but yeah, that Arya scene. I don't know if I was more shocked that she actually has breasts now or that the girl we all watched grow up was getting a shag. :eek:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby Icon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 22:54

Yeah I joined millions nervously searching Aria's age in the books and tv series. Allegedly, she is 18, as HBO preempted in a Tweet.

Not making it any easier to watch anyways.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Icon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 22:57

Lots of bets on line about who will become part of the Army of the Dead. Given that there are only 3 episodes left, and 1 focuses on the battle, and they really have not killed anyone yet - Umbers do not count - we will certainly have a bloodbath.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Kal El » Mon Apr 29, 2019 23:08

Icon wrote:Lots of bets on line about who will become part of the Army of the Dead. Given that there are only 3 episodes left, and 1 focuses on the battle, and they really have not killed anyone yet - Umbers do not count - we will certainly have a bloodbath.

Having just finished watching the last episode: What. The. Actual. Fuck!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
Icon (Tue Apr 30, 2019 21:48)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Mon Apr 29, 2019 23:23

Yeah. I certainly didn't anticipate the battle for Helm's Deep for the entire show *sarcasm*. My predictions were spot-on for who was going to die, though.

Spoiler:
Well, that's the army of the dead gone. Cersei's far more dangerous. :grin:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2578 times
Has gotten kudos: 1605 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Apr 30, 2019 07:23

jimipresley wrote:Yeah. I certainly didn't anticipate the battle for Helm's Deep for the entire show *sarcasm*.

To be fair, they did announce long ago that an entire episode was going to be dedicated to the battle with the Night's King and that it was going to be longer than Helm's Deep.

With 11 straight weeks of grueling night shoots, we already knew that the final major battle of Game of Thrones, known at this point as The Battle of Winterfell, was going to be the biggest action sequence ever seen on television. However, as it turns it out, it could be the biggest battle in the history of entertainment, bigger than the infamous Helm's Deep sequence in The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Apr 30, 2019 14:05

The directing of the bit with the flaming swords near the start was truly a thing of beauty, even if as a military strategy the charge perhaps didn't make a lot of sense. Most of the rest of the episode didn't live up to that high mark. A lot of it was downright murky, but I liked it well enough. So many characters remaining to be killed off in the final three episodes.... :grin:

cranky laowai wrote:Some long run-times this season:

Episode 1: 54 minutes – April 14
Episode 2: 58 minutes – April 21
Episode 3: 60 minutes – April 28
Episode 4: 78 minutes – May 5
Episode 5: 80 minutes – May 12
Episode 6: 80 minutes – May 19

That one was certainly a lot longer than 60 minutes. It clocked in at 82 minutes. It was basically a movie.

IMDB gives the times for the remaining episodes as above.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Icon (Tue Apr 30, 2019 21:46)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 180 times
Has gotten kudos: 524 times

Previous

Return to Arts & Entertainment