How much tax should I pay in May 2012?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters.

Moderator: Eiger John

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

How much tax should I pay in May 2012?

Postby AllTrue » Thu Apr 12, 2012 23:45

Hi all,

I'll be filing taxes in Taiwan for the first time after my first full year working here next month.

I am filing as a foreign manager of a Foreign Rep. Office, with salary of NT$35,000 per month.

How much tax should I be paying on this (before any deductions)?

Thanks!
AllTrue
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: How much tax should I pay in May 2012?

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Apr 12, 2012 23:54

Sorry, I don't know about the tax amount. But this caught my eye:
AllTrue wrote:salary of NT$35,000 per month

Is that enough for an ARC? Didn't they recently raise the required minimum?
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 528 times

Postby AllTrue » Fri Apr 13, 2012 00:10

When I applied for my ARC a year ago, I guess it was enough...

I'll be applying for a "married to local" style ARC when this one expires in summer.

If anyone's able to point me in the direction of how much I should pay, that would be appreciated.
AllTrue
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby cubewarrior » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31

I'd be questioning that salary level as well, the minimum salary for a white collar work permit/ARC is 50k NT and has been that amount for at least the last 6 years. That said it maybe a different story for a position as a local representative office (it's probably for this reason that you got your ARC not your salary), there is a whole bunch of different rules.

You mentioned changing to a married ARC, did you already get married to a local and was it last year, has the marriage been authenticated by TECO in the country where it took place and has it been registered in Taiwan... if you have don't all that then your 'deductions' are going to be pretty slim!!

Have your partner go online to the Taiwan Tax Administration website and fill in the tax return, you don't need to submit it but it will give you a figure for your tax liability. Be prepared to answer questions about that salary your declaring.
Nil illegitimi carborundum
He's more to be pitied than scolded I can tell you - The Big Yin
cubewarrior
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 5 times
Has gotten kudos: 25 times

Postby thelostswede » Fri Apr 13, 2012 16:20

Having a rep office is quite different from working for a local company and there's no actual salary limitation as a representative for a rep office as such, at least not afaik.
I just had my work permit and ARC renewed on the basis of NT$30k pay + NT$20k housing benefit and no-one battered an eyelid at that.
That said, I'm having my accountant take care of everything for me this year to see how things are done and come next year I'll do it all via the online service.
thelostswede
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 7 times
Has gotten kudos: 27 times

Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 13, 2012 17:11

Since when are you married? I don't think its necessary to have a family visa to declare taxes jointly as long as you can prove your marriage one way or the other and have it legalized here.
It might even be a requirement that you declare jointly if you are married...
Anonymous

Postby cubewarrior » Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:12

Anonymous wrote:Since when are you married? I don't think its necessary to have a family visa to declare taxes jointly as long as you can prove your marriage one way or the other and have it legalized here.
It might even be a requirement that you declare jointly if you are married...

I was talking about deductions, if your marriage is not registered you can't claim your partner as a dependent and no its not a requirement that you file jointly if your married....
Nil illegitimi carborundum
He's more to be pitied than scolded I can tell you - The Big Yin
cubewarrior
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 5 times
Has gotten kudos: 25 times

Return to Taxes in Taiwan, Taxes Overseas