Circumcision in Taiwan

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Circumcision in Taiwan

Postby Chaon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:29

Taffy wrote:
Chaon wrote:寶愛的包皮皮包.

冷死了。

I'm not gonna have my eyebrow humor critiqued by a... by a... FORESKIN NAZI.

There. I said it!
Chaon
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 22 times
Has gotten kudos: 24 times

Postby Nagunae » Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:40

Just read through the last ten or so posts. So uh, thank you everyone for the help in allowing me to better think through this extremely important parenting decision of mine.
Nagunae
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 19 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Postby sandman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:46

Its an easy call. Can you wash? If yes, then fine. If you can't, then slice off the end of yer cock. Eyelids, too. They can catch infections. Daftest thing I ever heard of. I've had FAR more eye infections than cock infestations, but strangely, not ONE single sawbones has EVER suggested that I get those offending bits of skin removed with a knife.
Note: YOUR cock. Not someone else's one.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 315 times
Has gotten kudos: 843 times

Postby Chaon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:47

Nagunae wrote:Just read through the last ten or so posts. So uh, thank you everyone for the help in allowing me to better think through this extremely important parenting decision of mine.

Just remember. It cannot get infected if it is not there.
Chaon
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Apr 17, 2012 21:03

That's true of your right arm, too. Lop it ALL off, I say!
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 527 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby TheGingerMan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 21:43

I'm curious: how is it that the original post for this thread is dated from 2003?
~~~~~
As for circumcision. Most vehemently opposed. I suppose folks may do whatever they wish in the name of religion or culture, but there are absolutely no sanitary grounds for such a practice in this age when we don't have to wash ourselves in a murky puddle.
Until we regress to such an existence, I'll be on the other side of the fence.

As an aside, the doctor at my son's birth asked me of I wanted a slice job performed. It was nice of him to ask, and I told him just that. Lamentably rather late, I must say, as I couldn't help but first discharge a rather emphatic
"Fack, No!".

But, to each their own.
:idunno:
"
TheGingerMan
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 55 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 21:52

TheGingerMan wrote:I'm curious: how is it that the original post for this thread is dated from 2003?

This forum was previously known as Parent Pages and set up in December 2002 (before that it was My Taipei Baby). In September 2011 Taiwanease and Parent Pages merged to become Taiwaneasy.tw
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1836 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby Chaon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 21:55

Dragonbones wrote:That's true of your right arm, too. Lop it ALL off, I say!

If "arm smegma" ever becomes a biological reality for me, I'll chop them both off and get robotic claws.
Chaon
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Nagunae » Thu Apr 19, 2012 15:09

After thinking about the views expressed here and after another discussion with the wife, we probably will not be considering circumcision for our son. For me, I just couldn't forgive myself if anything went wrong. And because the procedure isn't that common in Taiwan, I'd be extremely nervous about the whole process. Having said that, though, I'm not sure some of you appreciate what it's like to grow up in a country (the US in my case) where just about everyone is circumcised. And related to this, I'm not sure some of you appreciate how brutal kids can be toward each other growing up. I worry about the potential teasing if we end up moving back to the US. And how about his girlfriends who might wonder why he has this extra bit of skin that they've never seen, perhaps only heard about? Also, in a country where everyone gets circumcised, foreskin is considered, well, a bit gross. I'm not saying any of this is right, only that these are the things I consider as a parent.
Nagunae
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 15:22

I'm not sure some of you appreciate what it's like to grow up in a country (the US in my case) where just about everyone is circumcised.

Hmm. That's a point. I don't think I ever met ANYONE with mutilated genitals when I was growing up in the UK. In fact, I don't think I knew anyone in such a state until I came to Taiwan and met Americans.

However, I think you're exaggerating with the "just about everyone is circumcised" observation. Possibly in your generation that's true -- in 1985 there were levels of between 77% and 98% on a spot-basis. According to http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/USA/, however, the percentage was just 56% in 2006, and 32.5% in 2009. Today, its presumably even less, and that site says that genital integrity is now the norm among newborns in the U.S.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 315 times
Has gotten kudos: 843 times

Postby Borogove » Thu Apr 19, 2012 16:04

sandman wrote:
I'm not sure some of you appreciate what it's like to grow up in a country (the US in my case) where just about everyone is circumcised.

Hmm. That's a point. I don't think I ever met ANYONE with mutilated genitals when I was growing up in the UK. In fact, I don't think I knew anyone in such a state until I came to Taiwan and met Americans.

However, I think you're exaggerating with the "just about everyone is circumcised" observation. Possibly in your generation that's true -- in 1985 there were levels of between 77% and 98% on a spot-basis. According to http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/USA/, however, the percentage was just 56% in 2006, and 32.5% in 2009. Today, its presumably even less, and that site says that genital integrity is now the norm among newborns in the U.S.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, those figures might be underestimating circumcision rates because they don't account for circumcisions done outside of hospitals (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtm ... mm6034a4_w), but the point remains that circumcision rates have declined dramatically.

I'm an American with an uncircumcised 5-year-old son who will most likely grow up in the U.S. We're not at all concerned that he will stand out from his peers. Anecdotally, the choices made by our friends for their male babies seem to reflect the trend reported by the CDC -- for the most part, they have chosen not to circumcise unless it is for religious regions, even though most of the fathers are themselves circumcised.
Borogove
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 2 times

Postby Dragonbones » Thu Apr 19, 2012 16:16

Nagunae wrote:Also, in a country where everyone gets circumcised, foreskin is considered, well, a bit gross.

Well, that's making assumptions about not just one but two empirical questions.

1) You mentioned the US. Circumcision might have been the norm when you were born, but the figures I've seen show it has been decreasing decade by decade, with only slightly over half of infants nowadays getting circumcised (once you account for both in-hospital and later, e.g. religious circumcisions), and fewer than half among the largest growing ethnic groups like Hispanics. In Canada it's something like 30%. Your son will be growing up in a peer group where it's about half and half, so both will appear perfectly normal.

2) I don't agree that foreskins are generally considered unusual or gross in the US. I've never heard this expressed, in the locker rooms, among pals or online, either in the Midwest or in Mexico (I grew up in both). You would have to run a poll of course. A non-scientific poll of 3,200 women at http://www.topix.com/forum/news/sex/TU9EJCLL87L10UDCG was pretty evenly split on which they preferred.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 527 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Nagunae » Thu Apr 19, 2012 16:17

sandman and Borogrove, thanks for that. This information really does make me feel much better. My personal experience growing up was that everyone was circumcised. Again, this is good to know. Dragonbones, I hope I'm wrong. I hope my information is outdated.
Nagunae
Taiwanease Gentry

Previous

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth