Health Related Issues with Local Toys and Products

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Health Related Issues with Local Toys and Products

Postby emily » Fri May 18, 2012 01:20

What could go wrong if my kids play with toys bought in local market? I heard about paint issues, or small pieces as choking hazard, or just general lack of quality. I cannot seem to see this potential issues as all toys seem fine to me. Still, I'm having toys and other stuff shipped over just in case. Toughts? :idunno:
emily
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Health Related Issues with Local Toys and Products

Postby asiababy » Fri May 18, 2012 08:01

We are given these "rubbish toys" (my kids call them this) all the time, and they rarely last more than half a day before having to be thrown away. At the very least you will be sad about the money wasted and garbage created, and have to deal with your child's sadness at their new treasure breaking so quickly. And, if your kids are young, they could swallow the pieces, stand on bits that break off and cut their feet, have the metal from car wheels stick into their fingers when they try to repair them, and end up sucking on pieces of plastic that are coated with paint that is not approved for children.

You don't necessarily have to have toys sent over, as there are plenty of places to get toys. Toys R Us, department store toy shops, ESLITE children bookstore are all places to start.
Visit my blog www.kidzone-tw.com, to find out about family-friendly events and spaces around Taiwan.
asiababy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 70 times

Postby emily » Tue May 22, 2012 00:43

I completely agree with you. I will look into ESLITE children bookstore. I'm very much looking forward to it. My only worry now is about the price tag. Still, well worth it. Thank you very much.
emily
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby asiababy » Tue May 22, 2012 06:18

emily,

How old is your child/children? Some toys you can pick up second-hand (like blocks, walkers, Lego...) You can always post a "wanted to buy" in the Classifieds section on this site.
Visit my blog www.kidzone-tw.com, to find out about family-friendly events and spaces around Taiwan.
asiababy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 70 times

Return to Children's Health