Over medicated?

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Over medicated?

Postby Big Vern » Wed Jun 20, 2012 19:25

My 19 month old daughter had a fever three days ago, so we took her to the doctor. He gave some medication, but as usual over here it's an enormous list of things. Since then she has been refusing to eat. I've looked up as many of the list of medicines as I can find on google for possible side effects of appetite loss, and a couple look like possibilities. I spoke to the doctor and he suggested giving her more medication to increase her appetite, which I'm not very keen about to be honest.

Anyway, here is the list of medication she's been given. Biofermin in particular stands out to me as some kind of probiotic hippy-dippy quakery. Anyone else have any ideas? As always I want to complete the course of medication, but one or more of the following seems to be reacting strangely:

Biofermin
Famotidine
Gascon
Biotase
Poro
Mycomb
Smecta

I had an unpleasant experience last CNY when I was massively over-medicated for a cold and ended up going a bit mental, and it's made me pretty wary of taking medicine over here. I just wish they wouldn't add so much stuff to their concoctions over here; it becomes impossible to identify which agent is doing what. She only had a high temperature!
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Re: Over medicated?

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 20:17

Our doctor, and my mum and my doctor dad and all my sisters who have raised their own kids said no medication for two days and even then, only infant tylenol or something like that, and even then, only if the temp is above 39 degrees.
The fever is the body killing the bug. Its normal and natural.
If she's sick enough to have a fever, she's sick enough to have lost her appetite. Again, normal. "Feed a cold, starve a fever" is the old adage that still holds true today. Get as much fluid into her as she'll tolerate and don't worry about a day or two without food. She won't starve. You can give her some relief by giving her a tepid sponge bath. Other than that, let it run its course. And of course, discard the crap the doctor gave you. He's not treating her ailment -- he's making a buck. And don't flush the stuff into the water system, either!

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post (total 4):
maoman (Thu Jun 21, 2012 20:41) • Just Jennifer (Thu Jun 21, 2012 20:05) • divea (Wed Jun 20, 2012 21:27) • jimipresley (Wed Jun 20, 2012 20:31)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby divea » Wed Jun 20, 2012 21:30

Big Vern wrote: I spoke to the doctor and he suggested giving her more medication to increase her appetite, which I'm not very keen about to be honest.

Trust your instinct then. I hope your little one gets well soon.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 20:29

So sorry to hear about your little one being ill. How is she feeling today? Did you end up giving her the meds? They do tend to prescribe so many. Don't be shy about asking what each one is for and letting the doctor know you do not want to medicate unless absolutely necessary--bacterial infection, high fever, etc. As for the probiotic 'quackery', I've nothing but positive reports about how they have helped. We don't use them all the time because they can be pretty expensive but I have let my kids take them when they've had severe stomach issues, like my 11yo daughter experienced recently, having been diagnosed with GERD (reflux disease).

Hope she's feeling much better today.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jun 21, 2012 21:05

She's fine, just not eating. It's all a little tricky because my wife's away on business and the MIL has come up to help out. There are some rather sensitive cultural issues I need to overcome without creating a big family trauma. I posted on the off-chance that someone might have some written evidence that one of these is an appetite suppressant which would make it easier for me. I was hoping the doctor would just give us a mild painkiller and tell us to come back tomorrow if there was no sign of improvement (NHS style :smile: ). Bit naive of me, really, considering how long I've been here.

Don't worry. I'll sort it out.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Just Jennifer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 21:54

Big Vern wrote:It's all a little tricky because my wife's away on business and the MIL has come up to help out. There are some rather sensitive cultural issues I need to overcome without creating a big family trauma.

I understand about those sensitive cultural issues. Here's a searchable database of drug side effects for future reference.

As sandman said, what's most important is probably keeping her hydrated and keeping an eye on her temperature.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby sandman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 13:29

How she be doing today? How you be doing? sleep at all last night? :lol: Sit back, wipe the crud from your eyes and enjoy the ride. Take a nap if you have the time!
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby Big Vern » Fri Jun 22, 2012 15:58

sandman wrote:How she be doing today? How you be doing? sleep at all last night? :lol: Sit back, wipe the crud from your eyes and enjoy the ride. Take a nap if you have the time!

There's nothing really wrong with her, just loss of appetite and a diarrhoea - both of which I think were caused by the medicines. I'll just have to be firmer in my convictions in future and head the family off at the pass when they suggest a visit to the doctor's :smile: . These things have a tendency to rapidly take a life of their own if you don't nip them in the bud.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Return to Children's Health