Petraeus resigns

For domestic American politics only. For political issues with direct international implications, please post in the International Politics forum.

Petraeus resigns

Postby Jaboney » Sat Nov 10, 2012 05:28

LA Times wrote:CIA director David Petraeus unexpectedly resigned Friday, citing “poor judgment” after engaging in an extramarital affair.

In a statement sent to CIA staff, Petraeus said he had personally delivered a letter of resignation to President Obama on Thursday, which was accepted Friday.

“After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair,” Petraeus said. “Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.”

Bad move, Petraeus. Not cool. But having every person who has an affair resign seems... excessive. Puritanical. If he decided to go so he could patch things up with his wife, fine. But... I dunno. Maybe people will finally stop beating the Draft Petraeus drum for the GOP.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 201 times
Has gotten kudos: 430 times

Re: Petraeus resigns

Postby maoman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 09:00

Jaboney wrote:Bad move, Petraeus. Not cool. But having every person who has an affair resign seems... excessive.

That depends on with whom was he having the affair....
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1855 times
Has gotten kudos: 1340 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Tempo Gain » Sat Nov 10, 2012 09:45

and as the leader of an organization such as ours.”

This is the key. As I understand, agents are held under a very tight rein about such things, for fear of their being compromised. Can't have that kind of example. Presumably he wasn't reporting it to his superior :)
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 143 times
Has gotten kudos: 175 times

Postby Jaboney » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24

Yeah, that makes sense.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby ChinaCat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55

The affair happened at least a year ago. The Benghazi hearings happen in a few days.
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Postby Jaboney » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:16

Nah, that makes no sense.
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Elegua » Sat Nov 10, 2012 20:28

Conspiracy theories in 3..2..1...

Supposedly his resignation was asked for by Republican lawmakers back in Oct.
Vida de Otário

....and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock.
Elegua
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 82 times
Has gotten kudos: 266 times

Postby Jaboney » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:26

Well, this is interesting. On the day the news breaks, this appears in the NYT.
Cue the conspiracy theories, indeed.
NYT Ethicist column wrote:MY WIFE’S LOVER

My wife is having an affair with a government executive. His role is to manage a project whose progress is seen worldwide as a demonstration of American leadership. (This might seem hyperbolic, but it is not an exaggeration.) I have met with him on several occasions, and he has been gracious. (I doubt if he is aware of my knowledge.) I have watched the affair intensify over the last year, and I have also benefited from his generosity. He is engaged in work that I am passionate about and is absolutely the right person for the job. I strongly feel that exposing the affair will create a major distraction that would adversely impact the success of an important effort. My issue: Should I acknowledge this affair and finally force closure? Should I suffer in silence for the next year or two for a project I feel must succeed? Should I be “true to my heart” and walk away from the entire miserable situation and put the episode behind me? NAME WITHHELD

Don’t expose the affair in any high-profile way. It would be different if this man’s project was promoting some (contextually hypocritical) family-values platform, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. The only motive for exposing the relationship would be to humiliate him and your wife, and that’s never a good reason for doing anything. This is between you and your spouse. You should tell her you want to separate, just as you would if she were sleeping with the mailman. The idea of “suffering in silence” for the good of the project is illogical. How would the quiet divorce of this man’s mistress hurt an international leadership initiative? He’d probably be relieved.

The fact that you’re willing to accept your wife’s infidelity for some greater political good is beyond honorable. In fact, it’s so over-the-top honorable that I’m not sure I believe your motives are real. Part of me wonders why you’re even posing this question, particularly in a column that is printed in The New York Times.

Your dilemma is intriguing, but I don’t see how it’s ambiguous. Your wife is having an affair with a person you happen to respect. Why would that last detail change the way you respond to her cheating? Do you admire this man so much that you haven’t asked your wife why she keeps having sex with him? I halfway suspect you’re writing this letter because you want specific people to read this column and deduce who is involved and what’s really going on behind closed doors (without actually addressing the conflict in person). That’s not ethical, either.
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby irishstu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:56

Anyone else think Paula Broadwell looks like Karen from the office?

My guitar projects: http://diystrat.blogspot.com
irishstu
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 188 times
Has gotten kudos: 161 times

Postby Dr. Nemesis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:58

irishstu wrote:Anyone else think Paula Broadwell looks like Karen from the office?

Only in the sense that they are both women with black hair.
Dr. Nemesis
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 99 times
Has gotten kudos: 172 times

Postby Hannibal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01

Dr. Nemesis wrote:
irishstu wrote:Anyone else think Paula Broadwell looks like Karen from the office?

beer goggles, yo.
Na na na na hey hey
Hannibal
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 58 times
Has gotten kudos: 454 times

Postby irishstu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:20

Dr. Nemesis wrote:

HEY! They both have silky shirts too!
My guitar projects: http://diystrat.blogspot.com
irishstu
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 188 times
Has gotten kudos: 161 times

Postby Doogie Howser MD » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48

That is why the CIA had to investigate.
Doogie Howser MD
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 292 times
Has gotten kudos: 149 times

Postby Jaboney » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57

Great tumbler thread combining Petraeus headlines and photos of the real news.
http://petraeusaffair.tumblr.com/

Someone curating the Globe and Mail's far more frivolous celebrity photos pages occasionally does much the same thing.
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Bubbha » Wed Nov 14, 2012 20:47

Petraeus was just answering to the call of booty... I mean duty.

These users gave kudos to the author Bubbha for the post:
Doogie Howser MD (Wed Nov 14, 2012 20:51)
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 274 times

Next

Return to American (Domestic) Politics