Reasonably-priced, decent bottled IPA in Taipei?

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Dragonbones

Forum rules
1) Please search before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one.

3) Please post separately for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator (right now, that's me, Dragonbones) asking for help. Happy posting!

Reasonably-priced, decent bottled IPA in Taipei?

Postby vay » Mon Sep 19, 2016 00:42

These days I really prefer IPA's and APA's. Jason's in Tianmu sells a couple for like 130 a bottle, but my wife ain't so happy about that when Taiwan beer costs like a third. RT-Mart in Neihu sells Stoked IPA for around 70 but it tastes nasty and it's far from me. Anyone know of a good compromise?
Journalist: "Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?"
Cigarette industry executive: "No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements."
vay
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 24 times
Has gotten kudos: 27 times

Re: Reasonably-priced, decent bottled IPA in Taipei?

Postby Tempo Gain » Mon Sep 19, 2016 02:47

If you can get the case of craft ales at Costco I think you'd be pretty happy. Includes a mix of IPA and other ales. I'm drinking some and watching the games here. Running out at Guandu when I went today though. Oh yeah comes out to 40-something per bottle.
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 137 times
Has gotten kudos: 169 times

Postby LostInTaipei » Mon Sep 19, 2016 08:10

Keep an eye on Carrefour's import beer selection - all kinds of things come through there these days (and many of them soon go, so in a given week, who knows). Often the imports will be in the 60-80NTD range.
(I'm known as lostinasia over at that other online place.)
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 53 times
Has gotten kudos: 160 times

Postby Toad » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:33

LostInTaipei wrote:Keep an eye on Carrefour's import beer selection - all kinds of things come through there these days (and many of them soon go, so in a given week, who knows). Often the imports will be in the 60-80NTD range.

Yeah, they always have some very good deals. I just stocked up on Piraat for NT79/bottle. Wellcome also (sometimes) have some good stuff on offer at very low prices.

I have no idea if they have IPAs at the moment; you get what you get and there will be something different next month. However, the last time I was there I noticed a lot of US craft beer imports, which in my experience tend to be heavily hopped in the IPA style.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 984 times
Has gotten kudos: 707 times

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Sep 19, 2016 21:43

Chunlian now has Stoke IPA 2 for NT$118. No idea what it taste like though.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 171 times
Has gotten kudos: 488 times

Return to Where can I find...?