"Religion may become extinct in nine nations"

From Protestants to Pastafarians, from Mormons to Muslims, spirituality is as old as man, and so is discussing religion.

Moderator: Fortigurn

Re: "Religion may become extinct in nine nations"

Postby cfimages » Wed May 25, 2016 07:06

Was it always optional for C of E? I know it's become that now, but has it always been that way?
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 705 times
Has gotten kudos: 939 times

Postby Big Vern » Wed May 25, 2016 09:04

cfimages wrote:Was it always optional for C of E? I know it's become that now, but has it always been that way?

Highly unlikely. As with every religious organization it was bound to be more backward and prescriptive in the past. The Church used to have a problem with women and homosexuals. The liberal tradition has ensured those welcome changes.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby Tempo Gain » Thu May 26, 2016 00:34

This would apparently be the first time Christians are a minority in England and Wales since pagan times.
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 143 times
Has gotten kudos: 175 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Thu May 26, 2016 06:57

cfimages wrote:Most Muslims I've known in my life in the west are more or less non-practicing Muslims. They'll call themselves Muslim because of cultural / family reasons, but that's about it. They don't pray 5 times a day, they drink alcohol, have unmarried sex and all the rest.

Probably similar to my parents generation. My Mum, despite never having gone to church in her life outside of weddings and funerals, used to tick the Church of England box when doing census forms, surveys etc. At least, she did back when I was a kid, I don't think she bothers anymore.

The problem is when Muslims become a large share of the population and some fundamentalist group. Comes in and starts enforcing 'proper islam' . See Malaysia swinging that way and they were very much the more tolerant type before. Don't assume a trend can't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Tempo Gain » Wed Jul 13, 2016 20:24

Nothing surprising here, but some interesting statistical analysis of trends in the US.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ca/490724/
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby HeadhonchoII » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:28

Why are Catholics not counted as Christians..that's a weird un.

But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?

These users gave kudos to the author HeadhonchoII for the post:
Just Jennifer (Fri Jul 15, 2016 14:41)
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Tempo Gain » Thu Jul 14, 2016 20:21

In this article? I don't think they're not. I reread it a far as this:

First, the proportion of white Christians (including Protestants and Catholics) in the country,
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby HeadhonchoII » Mon Jul 18, 2016 20:24

Catholics seem to be almost completely ignored in the article which I found a little strange even though I am an atheist.

HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Re:

Postby Bubbha » Fri Jul 22, 2016 22:02

HeadhonchoII wrote:Why are Catholics not counted as Christians..that's a weird un.

I hear that a lot in Taiwan: "Are you Catholic or Christian?" (Answer: "Neither. In any case, Catholics ARE Christians.")
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 274 times

Catholics & Christians

Postby LostInTaipei » Fri Jul 22, 2016 22:11

Bubbha wrote:
HeadhonchoII wrote:Why are Catholics not counted as Christians..that's a weird un.

I hear that a lot in Taiwan: "Are you Catholic or Christian?" (Answer: "Neither. In any case, Catholics ARE Christians.")

I've never quite understood the perceived separation of Catholicism from Christianity, perhaps especially in American culture - JFK had to give some kind of a speech about how his Catholicism wouldn't conflict with his politics, right? There's an historic mistrust of Catholics, I guess from Protestantism, that I think we don't quite "get" today, just like readers/viewers today are going to not quite get a lot of the (probably related!) anti-Irish and anti-Italian racism from a hundred years ago.
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 162 times

Re: Catholics & Christians

Postby Kal El » Sat Jul 23, 2016 09:16

LostInTaipei wrote:There's an historic mistrust of Catholics, I guess from Protestantism, that I think we don't quite "get" today.

Who's "we", kemosabe? I don't trust the Papists much myself, never have. It was intensified when I was forced into going to one of their masses as a young un. And as with Mormons, JWs etc, I think they bend the definition of "Christian" to the breaking point, if not beyond. Although, to be fair, so do Baptists like the WBC and these TV evangelists like Creflo Dollar, IMVHO. :twocents:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby LostInTaipei » Sat Jul 23, 2016 09:53

Kal El wrote:
LostInTaipei wrote:There's an historic mistrust of Catholics, I guess from Protestantism, that I think we don't quite "get" today.

Who's "we", kemosabe?

"We" as in a lot of contemporary North Americans, I guess. It's sort of like looking back at vitriolic political debates from previous eras, like the ones footnoted in scholarly editions of "Gulliver's Travels", or the debates around Christianity in the first millennium. "OK ... I can sort of see how that was an issue, but people really cared about that?!" Of course at the time they did, and in future many of our contemporary debates will seem bizarrely petty and arcane. But in contemporary North American culture I don't think many people consider Catholicism significantly different in kind from other schools of Christianity.
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 162 times

Re: Re:

Postby Tempo Gain » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:06

Bubbha wrote:I hear that a lot in Taiwan: "Are you Catholic or Christian?" (Answer: "Neither. In any case, Catholics ARE Christians.")

I think that's due to "Protestantism" being generally translated as "ji du jiao" or "Christianity", and most people not having much understanding beyond that.
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Kal El » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:28

LostInTaipei wrote:But in contemporary North American culture I don't think many people consider Catholicism significantly different in kind from other schools of Christianity.

In essence, it should be the same thing.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

"Religion may become extinct in nine nations"

Postby HeadhonchoII » Sat Jul 23, 2016 17:15

Presbyterians don't want to consider Catholics as Christians is my feeing, heard the same comment from a friend in New Zealand who was a Presbyterian. The dominant Christian church in Taiwan are/were Presbyterians and they translated their separate terms for Christian and Catholic into Chinese and taught their congregation in the same manner. That's my theory anyway.

These users gave kudos to the author HeadhonchoII for the post:
Tempo Gain (Sat Jul 23, 2016 18:03)
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality