"Religion may become extinct in nine nations"

From Protestants to Pastafarians, from Mormons to Muslims, spirituality is as old as man, and so is discussing religion.

Moderator: Fortigurn

"Religion may become extinct in nine nations"

Postby Fortigurn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 20:27

A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers. The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation. The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries. The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

Source. Australia doesn't surprise me. In my primary school in Australia there were only about half a dozen kids who were religious/came from religious households (or who would admit to it), and we were ridiculed for it in the good old Australian tradition.
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 129 times
Has gotten kudos: 128 times

Re: "Religion may become extinct in nine nations"

Postby zender » Mon Feb 01, 2016 23:42

Ireland surprises me. I would have guessed the other Scandinavian countries.
zender
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 44 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby jimipresley » Mon Feb 01, 2016 23:59

zender wrote:Ireland surprises me. I would have guessed the other Scandinavian countries.

Ireland is Scandinavian? :eek:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Postby zender » Tue Feb 02, 2016 09:00

Not in my geography text.

What I was trying to say is that, from the list (Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland), Ireland is the shocker. I would have expected more Scandinavian countries added to Finland. You know, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and South Africa . . . those . . . ya know . . . those other Scandinavian countries . . . not Ireland! :eek: . . . which I think of as heavily Roman Catholic . . . but Scandihoovian countries other than Finland . . . ya know what I mean?

The following dots are just for jimi as an early Chinese New Year present:

. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Gong xi fa cai!
Gung hey fat choi!

These users gave kudos to the author zender for the post:
TainanCowboy (Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:14)
zender
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 44 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:09

Fortigurn wrote:
A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers. The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation. The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries. The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

Source. Australia doesn't surprise me. In my primary school in Australia there were only about half a dozen kids who were religious/came from religious households (or who would admit to it), and we were ridiculed for it in the good old Australian tradition.

But they haven't taken refugees and immigration into account. Once that is put in I'd wager:
They're probably right with New Zealand and Switzerland.
They might be somewhat right with Australia and Canada.
But I doubt they're right with Austria, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands.
:idunno: :twocents:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby Toad » Wed Feb 03, 2016 20:26

Mainstream religions might go extinct in certain cultures, but they'll just be replaced by ad-hoc contemporary religions. Humans seem to have an infinite capacity for superstition, idol-worship, and fallacious thinking. British people, for example, worship the all-powerful satellite in the Sky (Ltd.), which tells them what to think and believe, and they attend the Church of Wetherspoon on the sabbath.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue May 24, 2016 15:53

The pace of extinction is accelerating, in the UK at least:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... ales-study

Can you believe those figures? In three years the number of non-religious people almost doubled. For every new convert the Anglican Church gets it loses 12.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby Kal El » Tue May 24, 2016 17:00

Big Vern wrote:The pace of extinction is accelerating, in the UK at least:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... ales-study

Can you believe those figures? In three years the number of non-religious people almost doubled. For every new convert the Anglican Church gets it loses 12.

I wonder, are they including Muslim numbers here? The graphs etc certainly don't seem to.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Tue May 24, 2016 17:13

Islam is in 'Other Religion', I think.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Tue May 24, 2016 21:28

Big Vern wrote:Islam is in 'Other Religion', I think.

Sure, I think I was unclear. I was in a bit of a hurry.

What I mean is, it seems that Christian numbers are falling as more and more of the population is saying they have no religion, i.e. Christians are increasingly becoming "nones". What I wonder is is how the Muslim population is affected, i.e. are their numbers decreasing and becoming "nones" too? If so, at what rate?

I guess what I'm wondering is, is the culture that is causing people to become "nones" also affecting the UK's Muslim population or not.

I'm not sure if that's any clearer, but I hope you get my meaning.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Tue May 24, 2016 21:57

I'd guess that some religions are 'stickier' than others. Catholicism more than the Anglican Church, for example. Islam must be extremely difficult to break away from as there's a strong possibility you'd be ostracized (or worse).

The figures are unbelievable. An increase from 25% to 48% of British who have no religion between 2011 and 2014. If those figures are correct then there will be virtually no Christians left by 2020.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Tue May 24, 2016 22:00

Big Vern wrote:I'd guess that some religions are 'stickier' than others. Catholicism more than the Anglican Church, for example. Islam must be extremely difficult to break away from as there's a strong possibility you'd be ostracized (or worse).

That's basically what I figured, but I was wondering how cultural assimilation had affected second, third or fourth generation Brits whose forebears had immigrated from Islamic countries. I imagine that they could act one way and feel another, thereby responding honestly to an anonymous survey. :idunno:
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Tue May 24, 2016 22:14

That's a good point. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a sizeable group of Muslims who are just going through the religious motions. Anglicans have been doing it for decades. NOw it seems they've stopped bothering to pretend.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cfimages » Tue May 24, 2016 22:29

Most Muslims I've known in my life in the west are more or less non-practicing Muslims. They'll call themselves Muslim because of cultural / family reasons, but that's about it. They don't pray 5 times a day, they drink alcohol, have unmarried sex and all the rest.

Probably similar to my parents generation. My Mum, despite never having gone to church in her life outside of weddings and funerals, used to tick the Church of England box when doing census forms, surveys etc. At least, she did back when I was a kid, I don't think she bothers anymore.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 706 times
Has gotten kudos: 941 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue May 24, 2016 23:09

cfimages wrote:Most Muslims I've known in my life in the west are more or less non-practicing Muslims. They'll call themselves Muslim because of cultural / family reasons, but that's about it. They don't pray 5 times a day, they drink alcohol, have unmarried sex and all the rest.

Probably similar to my parents generation. My Mum, despite never having gone to church in her life outside of weddings and funerals, used to tick the Church of England box when doing census forms, surveys etc. At least, she did back when I was a kid, I don't think she bothers anymore.

It's a little bit different though, isn't it? People have to do those things to be a Muslim. With C of E it's optional.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality