Soap making supplies

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Dragonbones

Forum rules
1) Please search before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one.

3) Please post separately for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator (right now, that's me, Dragonbones) asking for help. Happy posting!

Soap making supplies

Postby Fortigurn » Sat Apr 23, 2016 20:12

I'm thinking of experimenting with making my own shaving soap. Where could I find some useful supplies? Thanks.
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 129 times
Has gotten kudos: 128 times

Re: Soap making supplies

Postby Tempo Gain » Sat Apr 23, 2016 22:16

Those chemist type stores catering to the ladies' skin-care market?
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 137 times
Has gotten kudos: 169 times

Postby Dragonbones » Sat Apr 23, 2016 23:00

Tempo Gain is likely referring to shops like this:
第一化工原料股份有限公司
http://shop.dechemical.com.tw/
Tianshui Rd, 43號 · 02 2559 9699

Now, if you want something like organic coconut oil as a base, I can connect you with an inexpensive supplier (who also carries olive oil). When you make soaps, you may want to add particular ingredients -- I know some fair trade and organic sources as well as an importer of things like rose water and so on, so feel free to ask about those as well.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
Fortigurn (Sat Apr 23, 2016 23:27)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 527 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Fortigurn » Sat Apr 23, 2016 23:25

Thanks a lot DB, should have known you'd be on this!
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby cfimages » Sat Apr 23, 2016 23:30

You may need to ask at DE Chemical if there's something you want but don't see on the shelves. They have a whole bunch of stuff behind or under the counter that's not easily seen when browsing.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 698 times
Has gotten kudos: 915 times

Postby Dragonbones » Sat Apr 23, 2016 23:34

cfimages wrote:You may need to ask at DE Chemical if there's something you want but don't see on the shelves. They have a whole bunch of stuff behind or under the counter that's not easily seen when browsing.

Aye, but you'll need to ask in Chinese, which can be tricky (given the very technical nature of the subject matter).
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 527 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby cfimages » Sat Apr 23, 2016 23:44

Dragonbones wrote:
cfimages wrote:You may need to ask at DE Chemical if there's something you want but don't see on the shelves. They have a whole bunch of stuff behind or under the counter that's not easily seen when browsing.

Aye, but you'll need to ask in Chinese, which can be tricky (given the very technical nature of the subject matter).

Good point. I bought some glycerin there recently and ended up just typing it into Google translate on my phone and showing them the result. Might be tricky for stuff that doesn't have common names though.

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post:
Fortigurn (Sat Apr 23, 2016 23:45)
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 698 times
Has gotten kudos: 915 times

Postby SlowRain » Sun Apr 24, 2016 08:30

Fortigurn wrote:I'm thinking of experimenting with making my own shaving soap. Where could I find some useful supplies? Thanks.

Interesting idea. Is this out of necessity or just curiosity? If it's necessity, I can recommend some local places to buy good shaving creams and soaps. If you're doing it for fun, keep us posted. I've actually thought of doing this, too.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 84 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Postby Fortigurn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 08:37

SlowRain wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:I'm thinking of experimenting with making my own shaving soap. Where could I find some useful supplies? Thanks.

Interesting idea. Is this out of necessity or just curiosity? If it's necessity, I can recommend some local places to buy good shaving creams and soaps. If you're doing it for fun, keep us posted. I've actually thought of doing this, too.

Mainly curiosity, but if it works it will save me money. I haven't found the good shaving soaps over here.
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby SlowRain » Sun Apr 24, 2016 17:04

There's a business with stores in Taipei, Taichung, and Kaohsiung called Goodforit Barberclub. They're on Facebook, and they also have a Yahoo store. They focus on men's grooming and accessories.

http://good4it.blogspot.tw

https://www.facebook.com/goodforitbarberclub/

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/tw/user/Y5076230249

Alternatively, The Body Shop's Maca Root shaving cream is pretty good, too.

These users gave kudos to the author SlowRain for the post:
Fortigurn (Sun Apr 24, 2016 17:21)
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Fortigurn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 17:22

SlowRain wrote:There's a business with stores in Taipei, Taichung, and Kaohsiung called Goodforit Barberclub. They're on Facebook, and they also have a Yahoo store. They focus on men's grooming and accessories.

http://good4it.blogspot.tw

https://www.facebook.com/goodforitbarberclub/

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/tw/user/Y5076230249

Alternatively, The Body Shop's Maca Root shaving cream is pretty good, too.

Thank you, that is well worth knowing.
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby SlowRain » Sun Apr 24, 2016 22:04

Their shaving creams are not cheap, though.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Fortigurn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 22:22

SlowRain wrote:Their shaving creams are not cheap, though.

Yeah I just took a look. Seems to be an upmarket boutique kind of place, clearly serving Taipei's small but determined hipster population. The kind of place which sells half a dozen different kinds of beard comb, and US$43 beard oil (which comes with an eyedropper, for reasons which escape me). Amazingly, it also stocks (some), of the better shaving soaps; a couple of the Dr Jon soaps (including the very popular Hydra), as well as two or three from Truett & Hill, several from Taylor of Old Bond Street, and at least one cream from Suavecito. Prices are typically 20-25% higher than US and UK prices. It sells a Suavecito Premium Blends X Tim Hendricks Sandalwood Capsule for the fairly eye-watering price of US$90 (US retail is $75).
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby flike » Sun Apr 24, 2016 23:12

The online Canadian outfit ItalianBarber sells their own line of shave soaps, these are always excellent and usually inexpensive. I just bought a 125ml tub of their Amici soap for US$2.99. First ingredient is stearic acid (i.e., tallow-based), not organic but pretty good stuff. International shipping seems to be quite high, but I suppose it might (might) work if you were able to find soaps in the US$2.99 price range. All of the Italian Barber soaps are very good soaps, I think the only issue might be scent.

My guess is that a European vendor would offer cheaper shipping, but I have not had to do that search.

By the way, in my experience Fullers earth makes for a wonderful additive to shave soap. I live in coastal Virginia, which is temperate but with hot and humid summers. My go-to summer shave soap uses Fullers earth and I would think that in sub-tropical Taiwan you too would find that it greatly ameliorates the harm done to fresh-shaven skin by sweat.
flike
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 104 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby Fortigurn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 23:18

flike wrote:The online Canadian outfit ItalianBarber sells their own line of shave soaps, these are always excellent and usually inexpensive. I just bought a 125ml tub of their Amici soap for US$2.99. First ingredient is stearic acid (i.e., tallow-based), not organic but pretty good stuff. International shipping seems to be quite high, but I suppose it might (might) work if you were able to find soaps in the US$2.99 price range. Any of the Italian Barber soaps are very good soaps, I think the only issue might be scent.

They had a 50% off special for Prosaro, and I was going to buy three pucks, but the shipping cost THREE TIMES as much as the product, so I had to give it up. I have since found shaving.ie, which looks very promising.

flike wrote:By the way, in my experience Fullers earth makes for a wonderful additive to shave soap. I live in coastal Virginia, which is temperate but with hot and humid summers. My go-to summer save soap uses Fullers earth and I would think that in sub-tropical Taiwan you too would find that it greatly ameliorates the harm done to fresh-shaven skin by sweat.

Thanks that's very helpful. I have heard good things of the rather extravagantly named MF. My last soap was by Razorock; they make great products.
Fortigurn
Taiwanease Gentry

Next

Return to Where can I find...?