Taipei to end free roadside parking

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Postby cranky laowai » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:29

The Taipei City Government has announced that the city will start charging for all roadside parking spots, with free spots along streets and roads to be cut by the end of September, and free spots along lanes and alleys to be cut by the end of December.

It seems they're going to have to hire a lot of new people if they're planning on enforcing that.

source: Taipei to abolish free parking spaces by end of the year
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 165 times
Has gotten kudos: 471 times

Re: Taipei to end free roadside parking

Postby Toad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:40

It seems they're going to have to hire a lot of new people if they're planning on enforcing that.

well .. in the UK at least, the job of traffic warden appears to have been created specifically to keep a certain sort of person in gainful employment, or at least out of prison. So perhaps that's the intention.

In Taiwan parking enforcement is considerably less aggressive (and 5000% more efficient) than the British implementation, so not that many people will really be needed. The parking guy just puts a piece of paper on your windscreen/scooter and you go to 7-11 to pay it at your convenience. Taiwanese pragmatism at its best, IMO, and I don't see any problem with charging people a few NT$ to use publicly-funded spaces.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 972 times
Has gotten kudos: 707 times

Postby Bubbha » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:15

Oh fuck, this would suck. That'd pretty much mean I'd have to get rid of my car.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 271 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:43

Taipei city has very few free parking spots anyway, even New Taipei City doesn't have many.
I would like to understand how they would deal with parking outside ground floor houses in the lanes? that would be great if they just redlined them all but I'm guessing it will be strongly resisted in New Taipei City.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby ChinaCat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53

Bubbha wrote:Oh fuck, this would suck. That'd pretty much mean I'd have to get rid of my car.

Don't like to pay for things provided by the Government? :lol:

Why do you need a car in Taipei? :ponder:
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Postby Toad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:13

Bubbha wrote:That'd pretty much mean I'd have to get rid of my car.

That, also, may be the whole idea. Like ChinaCat I don't understand why you need it anyway if you're in Taipei. If you do get rid of it, you'll wonder why you ever bothered having one. Really.

Having said that parking fees seem pretty reasonable at the moment. I doubt it would add a lot to the care and feeding of an already expensive piece of machinery.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby maoman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:17

Toad wrote:

That, also, may be the whole idea. Like ChinaCat I don't understand why you need it anyway if you're in Taipei. If you do get rid of it, you'll wonder why you ever bothered having one. Really.

It's a lot easier for singles and childless couples. For families, it becomes a lot less convenient.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post (total 2):
sandman (Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:11) • Big Vern (Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:39)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1840 times
Has gotten kudos: 1317 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby ChinaCat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:42

maoman wrote:
Toad wrote:

It's a lot easier for singles and childless couples. For families, it becomes a lot less convenient.

That's debatable.

Of course, by that I mean arguments can be made for or against the assertion. IMO, having a car would be far more of an inconvenience for me and my family, not to mention an unnecessary (IMO) added expense.

Admittedly, I live in Da'an District and can walk to work or to any of the several pubs I like to visit from my place.
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Postby Toad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:43

I dunno. Having small kids is inconvenient whichever way you look at it. It's a real pain having no car in countries with no public transport, but in Taipei?

I don't see how it's more troublesome to call a taxi to your door than it is to herd the family over to the parking area, herd them all back again because someone forgot something, repeat until everyone is finally in the car and not screaming or fighting, and then do the same exercise at the other end with the added stress of trying to find an actual parking space.

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post (total 2):
cranky laowai (Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:51) • ChinaCat (Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:44)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Big Vern » Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:01

Toad wrote:

I dunno. Having small kids is inconvenient whichever way you look at it. It's a real pain having no car in countries with no public transport, but in Taipei?

I don't see how it's more troublesome to call a taxi to your door than it is to herd the family over to the parking area, herd them all back again because someone forgot something, repeat until everyone is finally in the car and not screaming or fighting, and then do the same exercise at the other end with the added stress of trying to find an actual parking space.

This assumes single trips. The reality is multiple journeys during the day. Drive to work, pick up child(ren) from school(s), take child(ren) to dance class/music class/etc, drive to supermarket, drive back to class... Well, you get my point :lol: .
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby sandman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:13

I'd be pretty much fucked without a car. There again, I virtually never drive into Taipei in it. Can't see the point in the city.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby Big Vern » Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:24

sandman wrote:I'd be pretty much fucked without a car. There again, I virtually never drive into Taipei in it. Can't see the point in the city.

I need to work in Taipei 2-3 times a week and I find it easy to drive in. Parking is cheap and always available, but I am reliant on my GPS with all those confusing multi-lane streets and weird junctions. Plus everywhere looks the bloody same :lol: .
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:26

Toad wrote:I don't see how it's more troublesome to call a taxi to your door than it is to herd the family over to the parking area, herd them all back again because someone forgot something, repeat until everyone is finally in the car and not screaming or fighting, and then do the same exercise at the other end with the added stress of trying to find an actual parking space.

:lol: yeah, but try getting the taxi to wait while you do all that herding back and forth!

Seriously, though, the problem with taxis is that they're not safe for children too young to use an adult seat belt. It's obviously totally impractical to carry two child seats and a stroller AND the mommy bag and other things, and try to get any taxi to pick you up and wait patiently while you strap child seats in, and so on. Some taxi drivers are also unsafe drivers. I'm not putting my family at risk. Taxis are also very expensive, and the MRT doesn't run where I personally need it to (e.g. anywhere near one of my offices). We would also no longer be able to routinely go to some of our other destinations, due to the long time it would take switching between various buses, MRT etc., and I would lose a great deal of valuable time in the process. I would also not be able to buy the whole family's groceries and carry them while carrying one (or two) children, and use mass transit. It was hard enough shopping at Costco back before I had a car, when I was shopping just for one or two, versus the four plus 3 pets now. All factored together, I consider our car indispensable at this point, and am willing to pay for that convenience, including parking costs. Anyone who thinks otherwise is perfectly free not to buy one.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post (total 2):
Bu Lai En (Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:49) • Big Vern (Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:33)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Big Vern » Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:34

The pro car lobby are nailing this one :bravo: .

Take no prisoners!
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bunks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:35

Toad wrote:

well .. in the UK at least, the job of traffic warden appears to have been created specifically to keep a certain sort of person in gainful employment, or at least out of prison. So perhaps that's the intention.

In Taiwan parking enforcement is considerably less aggressive (and 5000% more efficient) than the British implementation.

Toad, old chap, what do you mean about traffic warden jobs being there in the UK to keep people out of prison? I've never heard that before. What sort of people?

As for parking enforcement being more efficient? In Taiwan they can't ticket people who double park. Can they? Also, would you say that in Taiwan ticketing has helped improve where and how people park? I'm sure we've all looked on goggle eyed as someone abandons their car in the road so they can go get a pint of tea.

I seem to remember Sandman once lambasting people for using their cars. Didn't you have a Nissan rusting in a field? Bet you've even got a smartphone now too. You've changed man! :smile:
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Next

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan