Taiwan's weird religious groups

From Protestants to Pastafarians, from Mormons to Muslims, spirituality is as old as man, and so is discussing religion.

Moderator: Fortigurn

Taiwan's weird religious groups

Postby cranky laowai » Sun Apr 02, 2017 22:40

Weird groups and cults pop up in the news from time to time. They deserve a thread.

Recently, a man who claimed to be a "dragon king" was sentenced to nineteen-and-a-half years in prison.

"During his time as a spiritual leader, Su claimed that his touch could improve blood circulation, but only when his female followers were naked. To prevent evil spirits from entering his followers, he painted their naked bodies. He also required some to swallow his semen to obtain the Dragon King’s essence."

And of course there was a fee for his services. "The Dragon King’s followers reportedly each paid at least NT$2,500 per month for consultations, with some paying as much as NT$20,000 per month to become ordained 'dragon women.'" He reportedly made approximately NT$300,000 per month this way.

He'd been performing his "rituals" as the Dragon King for at least seven years before his arrest in 2015. (His case had been under appeal.)

source
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 180 times
Has gotten kudos: 526 times

Re: Taiwan's weird religious groups

Postby Toad » Sun Apr 02, 2017 23:39

Also known as the P.T. Barnum effect.

It is pretty odd how scams of all sorts thrive in Taiwan - I'd say Taiwanese people are more intelligent than the global average, but seems they're not very streetwise. Or possibly there are just more scammers trawling for customers, and a few of them are bound to, um, get lucky. Someone should do a sociology PhD thesis on that.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

Postby John Ross » Mon Apr 03, 2017 07:50

Toad wrote:Also known as the P.T. Barnum effect.

It is pretty odd how scams of all sorts thrive in Taiwan - I'd say Taiwanese people are more intelligent than the global average, but seems they're not very streetwise. Or possibly there are just more scammers trawling for customers, and a few of them are bound to, um, get lucky. Someone should do a sociology PhD thesis on that.

Bugger the PhD. Enough of those around already. I'd like to see a book about it, or at least a chapter of a book. Near the top of my Santa list for Camphor Press titles is one on True Crime in Taiwan. It would ideally explain the workings of the police and courts, cover everyday crimes and of course feature high-profile cases such as the attempted assassination of Chen Shui-bian and exotic ones with a unique Taiwanese flavor such as this "dragon king" fellow.

These users gave kudos to the author John Ross for the post:
Toad (Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:13)
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 324 times
Has gotten kudos: 540 times

Postby Corns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 14:18

John Ross wrote:I`d like to see a book about it, or at least a chapter of a book. Near the top of my Santa list for Camphor Press titles is one on True Crime in Taiwan. It would ideally explain the workings of the police and courts, cover everyday crimes and of course feature high-profile cases such as the attempted assassination of Chen Shui-bian and exotic ones with a unique Taiwanese flavor such as this "dragon king" fellow.

I would love someone to write a more sensationalistic book about a few of the foreigner drug trafficking cases in Taiwan, as well as some of the stranger criminal or disappearance cases against foreigners (murder of Converse executive back in the 80s, Fred Frontier, Julie Cutie-Sartin/Interpol warrants, Zane, etc.).

I would definitely order it! :lol: Hell, I could write it. :lol: :lol: :grin: What would the title be?
You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 130 times
Has gotten kudos: 219 times

Postby Big Vern » Mon Apr 03, 2017 15:09

Corns wrote:
I would definitely order it! :lol: Hell, I could write it. :lol: :lol: :grin: What would the title be?

Strangers on a Zane
In Cold Pig's Blood Cake
The Girl With the Incorrect Mandarin Tattoo
Murder on the Orient Sushi Express
The Foreign Affairs Police Always Ring Twice
The Girl Who Played With Five Year Olds

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post (total 3):
Toad (Mon Apr 03, 2017 16:06) • Corns (Mon Apr 03, 2017 15:15) • cfimages (Mon Apr 03, 2017 15:14)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby Corns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 18:32

Big Vern wrote:
Corns wrote:

Strangers on a Zane
In Cold Pig's Blood Cake
The Girl With the Incorrect Mandarin Tattoo
Murder on the Orient Sushi Express
The Foreign Affairs Police Always Ring Twice
The Girl Who Played With Five Year Olds

My suggestions:

From Kindy to Making Joss Sticks -- Maple Leaf Stories from Taiwan Jails
Tim Hortons and the Taike!
Midnight Poutine Express -- Canadians in Foreign Jails
Expat Tales Volume I -- Featuring stories on Chocolate, Fred Frontier, Zain Dean, Paraguayan diplomats with STDs, and Others
Sharts, Egg Tarts and Hypermarts-- Taiwan Stories
You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale

These users gave kudos to the author Corns for the post:
Big Vern (Mon Apr 03, 2017 18:56)
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 130 times
Has gotten kudos: 219 times

Postby Big Vern » Mon Apr 03, 2017 18:58

The Big Sleep would presumably be filed under 'Hobbies and Interests'.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Return to Religion & Spirituality