"The Social Justice Movement - A Very Modern Fundamentalism"

From Protestants to Pastafarians, from Mormons to Muslims, spirituality is as old as man, and so is discussing religion.

Moderator: Fortigurn

Re: "The Social Justice Movement - A Very Modern Fundamentalism"

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:41

Kal El wrote:
shiadoa wrote:
Religion is on the way out in the West. Recent data shows that the number of people who give the "none" answer when asked about their religion has risen 7% in the US since 2007 and now accounts for 1-in-5 Americans. In the UK, the figures show a similar trend.

I think the UK has more in reality, with almost 50% of the population stating they do not believe the "Jesus" element.

Which is interesting, because if you don't believe the "Jesus element" you're basically a Jew. Or rather, a more "orthodox" Jew.

Eh? What? So I'm basically Jewish? Pull the other one! Plus, if the survey was in the UK, I'm guessing that most people would just leave it blank. As in "none of your damn business!"
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby Toad » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:45

Yeah, I think most people fill in the census with rubbish. They know that, these days, whatever you say in writing will eventually be used against you.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:29

Ah, c'mon, guys! Social Justice Warriors are awesome! :heart: :lovestruck: :heybaby: :yay: :yeah:

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
TainanCowboy (Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:26)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:32

sandman wrote:
Kal El wrote:
shiadoa wrote:
Religion is on the way out in the West. Recent data shows that the number of people who give the "none" answer when asked about their religion has risen 7% in the US since 2007 and now accounts for 1-in-5 Americans. In the UK, the figures show a similar trend.

I think the UK has more in reality, with almost 50% of the population stating they do not believe the "Jesus" element.

Which is interesting, because if you don't believe the "Jesus element" you're basically a Jew. Or rather, a more "orthodox" Jew.

Eh? What? So I'm basically Jewish? Pull the other one! Plus, if the survey was in the UK, I'm guessing that most people would just leave it blank. As in "none of your damn business!"

I had no idea you identified as Christian. But yes, if you are a Christian without "The Jesus Element", aka Christ, then you're a Jew. The Old Covenant (Judaism) vs the New Covenant (Jesus Christ came as a sacrifice for our sins). Simple enough, really.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:38

Kal El wrote:
sandman wrote:
Kal El wrote:
shiadoa wrote:

I had no idea you identified as Christian. But yes, if you are a Christian without "The Jesus Element" Then you're a Jew. The Old Covenant (Judaism) vs the New Covenant (Jesus came as a sacrifice for our sins). Simple enough, really.

You didn't say anything about Christian in your post. You just said "the population." You stated that if I don't believe in Jesus then I'm Jewish. I've never set foot in a church, apart from my sisters' weddings, and likely never will. I sure as good GOD Almighty don't identify as Christian, although of course I had their shit rammed down my throat often enough as a child, until I was old enough to say "just STOP!" :lol:
And of course, I'm not Jewish, orthodox or not. Here -- look at my willie.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:11

*Sigh*

Kal El wrote:
shiadoa wrote:

The Jesus element in what? Buddhism? Islam?

sandman wrote:
Kal El wrote:I had no idea you identified as Christian. But yes, if you are a Christian without "The Jesus Element" Then you're a Jew. The Old Covenant (Judaism) vs the New Covenant (Jesus came as a sacrifice for our sins). Simple enough, really.

You didn't say anything about Christian in your post.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:39

with almost 50% of the population stating they do not believe the "Jesus" element.

This is what I was referring to. Sigh.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:43

sandman wrote:
with almost 50% of the population stating they do not believe the "Jesus" element.

That's not my quote, however, the Jesus element in what? Buddhism? Islam? Do you know of any other belief system other than Christianity that has a Jesus element?
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:51

Kal El wrote:
sandman wrote:

That's not my quote...

I don't give a toss whose quote it was. Its right there in the thread and its what I was responding to. I have an interest is shittily conceived and executed surveys. I have none whatsoever in religion.
And doesn't Islam have a "Jesus element" to it? Isn't he regarded as a prophet by them guys?
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby cfimages » Thu Apr 28, 2016 13:14

Kal El wrote:Ah, c'mon, guys! Social Justice Warriors are awesome! :heart: :lovestruck: :heybaby: :yay: :yeah:

TBH, that host was so frickin annoying, I had to stop watching after 40 seconds because of him. Didn't actually get far enough through to see what the point of the video actually was.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 705 times
Has gotten kudos: 939 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 28, 2016 13:53

sandman wrote:
Kal El wrote:
sandman wrote:

That's not my quote...

I don't give a toss whose quote it was.

Yet you erroneously attributed it to me.

sandman wrote:
shiadoa wrote:

You didn't say anything about Christian in your post. You just said "the population."

sandman wrote: Its right there in the thread and its what I was responding to.

No, you were responding to me.

sandman wrote:
Kal El wrote:
shiadoa wrote:

sandman wrote: I have an interest is shittily conceived and executed surveys. I have none whatsoever in religion.

Yet here you are responding to both.

sandman wrote:And doesn't Islam have a "Jesus element" to it? Isn't he regarded as a prophet by them guys?

Sure, but unless you can show me a single Muslim who believes in Islam without the Jesus element a reasonable person would still accept a person that believes in a religion without the Jesus element to be in reference to Christianity. That said, all quirkiness aside, Islam is basically a proselytizing, militant version of Judaism (it's debatable whether Judaism accepts Jesus as only a rabbi or also a prophet as the Muslims do).
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 28, 2016 13:54

cfimages wrote:
Spoiler:
Kal El wrote:Ah, c'mon, guys! Social Justice Warriors are awesome! :heart: :lovestruck: :heybaby: :yay: :yeah:

TBH, that host was so frickin annoying, I had to stop watching after 40 seconds because of him. Didn't actually get far enough through to see what the point of the video actually was.

Aaaaah, you missed out on the sexy SJW and her logically thought out rebuttals.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bunks » Thu Apr 28, 2016 14:17

What is the social justice movement?
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Postby cfimages » Thu Apr 28, 2016 14:30

Kal El wrote:
cfimages wrote:
Spoiler:

Aaaaah, you missed out on the sexy SJW and her logically thought out rebuttals.

I went and watched it elsewhere without the commentary. Her rebuttals were likely a fairly proportional response to a speech that said "feminism is cancer" The speech got the response it deserved. That's not a statement that deserves a measured, logical discussion by way of response.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest though if the whole thing was a put up job. The organizers likely arranged the event hoping or planning that something like this would happen. Put it up on YouTube, collect the money that rolls in when it goes viral. Clickbait media at its finest.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 705 times
Has gotten kudos: 939 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 28, 2016 14:42

Good thing too, that would have been really sad to miss.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality