This Forum & Forumosa

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Flounder Forum.

Moderator: jimipresley

This Forum & Forumosa

Postby fanglangzhe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 15:21

This is a question for the moderators/ex-moderators. I understand several of the long serving moderators of Forumosa left and started this forum around 2011. What was the thought process of that move? I read somewhere that the old moderators wanted a nicer forum with less insults hurled at each other. Was that really the main reason for abandoning Forumosa? And looking back over the last 5+ years, has it been worth it? The 2 sites seem totally overlapping in purpose and dilution of posts is the end result. And looking at the progression over the last 10+ years, it seems posts on both sites (in aggregate) have declined. Specifically, sub-forums like 'restaurants', 'taiwan travel', and 'taiwan politics' were much more prolific in years past. Just in my humble opinion - the 'taiwan travel' sub-forum reached its peak when MuchaMan was moderator on the old site with his many informative posts. Although some other sub-forums may not have seen such sharp drop-off, it at all.
fanglangzhe
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: this forum & forumosa

Postby fanglangzhe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:24

Sorry everyone, I just realized there was a long thread about this over at forumosa back in 2013. <http://tw.forumosa.com/t/forumosa-vs-taiwanease/77635/126>. In summary, there was a parting of ways and not all of the reasons are meant for public discourse. But its been another 3+ years and with the passage of more time, my original questions above still stand. It still seems these 2 sites have duplicate purposes and the end result is dilution.
fanglangzhe
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby scomargo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:28

I think there are several places you can read about this, but I don't think you'll find a full account of it anywhere. I know a lot of the people involved, and I don't even know the full story, but I haven't exactly asked either since it's not really any of my business.

Here's another thread in case you're interested: topic5538.html

Sadly, I think the Parent Pages section of this forum is pretty dead since now almost all of those people now use Facebook instead. I hadn't realized it had been over five years already. Time really flies.
scomargo
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times
Has gotten kudos: 34 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:28

Your not wrong maybe but also got to factor in the 200 pound bully in the corner...Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby fanglangzhe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:37

HeadhonchoII wrote:Your not wrong maybe but also got to factor in the 200 pound bully in the corner...Facebook.

That is a valid point. But that's even more reason to consolidate forces/put up a united front. The way things are going, perhaps both these 2 forums will cease to exist in another 10 or 20 years.
fanglangzhe
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby maoman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:39

fanglangzhe wrote:This is a question for the moderators/ex-moderators. I understand several of the long serving moderators of Forumosa left and started this forum around 2011. What was the thought process of that move? I read somewhere that the old moderators wanted a nicer forum with less insults hurled at each other. Was that really the main reason for abandoning Forumosa? And looking back over the last 5+ years, has it been worth it? The 2 sites seem totally overlapping in purpose and dilution of posts is the end result. And looking at the progression over the last 10+ years, it seems posts on both sites (in aggregate) have declined. Specifically, sub-forums like 'restaurants', 'taiwan travel', and 'taiwan politics' were much more prolific in years past. Just in my humble opinion - the 'taiwan travel' sub-forum reached its peak when MuchaMan was moderator on the old site with his many informative posts. Although some other sub-forums may not have seen such sharp drop-off, it at all.

Hi FLZ, and welcome to Taiwanease. :thumbsup:
I started Taiwanease because it was time to move on. I wanted to do more, and when my partner and co-owner Goose Egg returned from China in 2011, it seemed to be a good time to do it. With regards to overlapping in purpose, sure, that's a bit of an issue, but both sites have developed their own styles and ways of doing things, so I guess it's just a question of personal taste.
You're right about the decline of posts, and while we may have chipped away at each other's demographic slightly, the real killer has been Facebook. Like you, I remember MuchaMan's contributions on the Travel forum fondly. Ah, the good old days! :smile:
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1854 times
Has gotten kudos: 1340 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby fanglangzhe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:48

Maoman, thanks for your reply. Another poster I will miss even more is Dog's Breakfast. Some of you (especially the old-timers) will understand why I mention DB especially now, many will not.
fanglangzhe
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Corns » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:51

Oh, the glory days of Comrade Stalin, Chewycorns :grin: , and others. :lol: :thumbsup: :wink:

I agree though -- we have seen the real growth of a plethora of different social media platforms. When I first started lurking on Forumosa in the early 2000s before becoming to Taiwan it was the sole source of info. These days, there are way too many. Better options for mass info, but it also creates a scattering effect. I can remember election threads (Taiwan election in 2004, US election in 2004 etc.) in real time where there were 60 plus users browsing at a time. I bet it is a lot less than that now.
You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 130 times
Has gotten kudos: 219 times

this forum & forumosa

Postby HeadhonchoII » Fri Jan 06, 2017 18:19

Was Dogs breakfast an ex lonely planet writer?

I post on both forums. You could call me biforexual :).

The early to mid 2000s were pretty awesome for forumosa, there was huge diversity and input from the foreign community.

You can look back on some of the old threads , there were lows but there were some really cracking and interesting discussions on there!
You will not see their like again and that is a sad thing (It's a bit like reading writers from the 19th century ..on the whole they seemed to have a better command of discourse and the English language compared to modern writers..did they know then how good they were..I doubt it).

Facebook came along however that is also more fragmented and comparmentalised and also people are less freewheeling because they are not anonymous. Facebook isn't good for holding long involved conversations either. It's always onto the next thing and most posts are very short off the cuff comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?

These users gave kudos to the author HeadhonchoII for the post:
maoman (Fri Jan 06, 2017 19:32)
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby jimipresley » Fri Jan 06, 2017 19:09

fanglangzhe wrote:This is a question for the moderators/ex-moderators. I understand several of the long serving moderators of Forumosa left and started this forum around 2011. What was the thought process of that move?

My reason was so that I didn't need to spend most of my day capitalizing thread titles like "this forum & forumosa". :smile:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Postby fanglangzhe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 22:10

HeadhonchoII wrote:Was Dogs breakfast an ex lonely planet writer?

I post on both forums. You could call me biforexual :).

The early to mid 2000s were pretty awesome for forumosa, there was huge diversity and input from the foreign community.

Yes, DB was an ex LP writer. As for early to mid 2000s for forumosa, totally agree and agree that those days will never be seen again.
fanglangzhe
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Sat Jan 07, 2017 00:41

fanglangzhe wrote: As for early to mid 2000s for forumosa, totally agree and agree that those days will never be seen again.

It was a veritable nirvana. I appreciate that we all see our youth through rose tinted spectacles, but who wouldn't give their left nut just for one chance to go back to those halcyon days of posting about their favourite restaurants on the flob? Damn it, man. You've sent me on a real downer. I'm going to have to hit the gin.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Just Jennifer (Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:43)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Re: This Forum & Forumosa

Postby Bunks » Sat Jan 07, 2017 02:38

People are different. Stuff ensues. Nothing to see.

You can read about Tottenham Hotspurs on more than one website, for example.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Postby Kal El » Sat Jan 07, 2017 08:55

jimipresley wrote:
fanglangzhe wrote:This is a question for the moderators/ex-moderators. I understand several of the long serving moderators of Forumosa left and started this forum around 2011. What was the thought process of that move?

My reason was so that I didn't need to spend most of my day capitalizing thread titles like "this forum & forumosa". :smile:

My reason was loyalty. Period.

Now I wouldn't consider going back anyway as their set up is so weird to navigate I have no idea what's going on there and no desire to stick around to find out. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby Omniloquacious » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22

fanglangzhe wrote:Maoman, thanks for your reply. Another poster I will miss even more is Dog's Breakfast. Some of you (especially the old-timers) will understand why I mention DB especially now, many will not.

Yes, indeed. But I had no idea who he was until he told me himself last month. That prompted me to look up and read a few of his old posts. Now, alas, his wit and wisdom will never again light up these or any other forums. :sad: :cry:
Omniloquacious
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 59 times
Has gotten kudos: 168 times

Next

Return to Open Forum