Time to lose weight.

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from basic health questions to fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Moderator: jimipresley

Re: Time to lose weight.

Postby Toad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 22:04

MilkTeaJack wrote:Super quick update: my plan to switch my workouts to evenings after work-mostly failure. I come home, hit the kettlebells/BWF and I make it through two sets before I am ready for a shower and bed. Or a videogame. Or Netflix. Or anything shiny. I wonder if its a matter of discipline or if I should just stop screwing around and go hard as soon as I arrive and get it over with?
/there's a euphemism in there somewhere, I just know it.

Personally I've never been able to work out at home. It's just too boring. Of course a gym is expensive and involves travel, but (for me at least) it's that very fact that motivates you to spend some time there ("well I'm here now I might as well stay for a bit") and get your money's worth. Having other people around you seems to be motivating, at least if you can refrain from thumping the idiots who sit on the machines for 15 minutes at a stretch buggering about with their phones.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 963 times
Has gotten kudos: 707 times

Postby Toad » Sun Aug 13, 2017 22:50

Some of you might be interested in a little factoid I just found out. Was researching Frank Zane's training programme, in which he reports daily carbs around 75-150g. Remember this is a three-time Mr Olympia speaking, training 5-6 times a week, for mass gain. The USDA recommendation for sedentary adults is 225-325g/day. Now excuse my French, but that's fucked-up: that's three times what a successful athlete thought he needed. You're probably all sick of me banging on about low-carb, but I think that puts the word 'low' in context.

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post:
Icon (Sat Apr 28, 2018 20:39)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 963 times
Has gotten kudos: 707 times

Time to lose weight.

Postby Just Jennifer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 13:15

Formosa Fitness has a new gym by Minquan West Road station so my youngest (nearly 15) and I have started going 3x a week for the morning class with Alan.

I don't know fitness but my 17yo says HIIT. I don't know what the class is called but there's lots of stretching and some use of kettle bells.

The instructor is great about giving me something simpler to do when I feel I can't keep up with the young people.

It's been two weeks (six classes) and I have better balance and can now do a 60-second plank. Before I started I could never do twenty seconds. I hate hate hate planks but if they will whittle away at my waist so I can wear my dresses again then I will press on.

I know absolutely nothing about gyms so I can't comment on the facility/equipment but kudos to Formosa Fitness for their friendly and attentive staff and a great class that kicks my butt with a challenging but very satisfying 30-minute workout.

Funny thing, on Wednesday morning I was at the door at 7:15, phone and water bottle in hand, dressed in a tshirt, socks, sneakers, and the UNDERPANTS I had worn to bed! My work day doesn't start until 10am and my teens homeschool and can be up at 9ish so those 7am alarms are tough for me these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]

These users gave kudos to the author Just Jennifer for the post:
maoman (Mon Apr 30, 2018 08:59)
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1825 times
Has gotten kudos: 319 times

Postby Kal El » Sun Apr 29, 2018 07:00

Just Jennifer wrote:Formosa Fitness has a new gym by Minquan West Road station so my youngest (nearly 15) and I have started going 3x a week for the morning class with Alan.

I don't know fitness but my 17yo says HIIT. I don't know what the class is called but there's lots of stretching and some use of kettle bells.

The instructor is great about giving me something simpler to do when I feel I can't keep up with the young people.

It's been two weeks (six classes) and I have better balance and can now do a 60-second plank. Before I started I could never do twenty seconds. I hate hate hate planks but if they will whittle away at my waist so I can wear my dresses again then I will press on.

I know absolutely nothing about gyms so I can't comment on the facility/equipment but kudos to Formosa Fitness for their friendly and attentive staff and a great class that kicks my butt with a challenging but very satisfying 30-minute workout.

Funny thing, on Wednesday morning I was at the door at 7:15, phone and water bottle in hand, dressed in a tshirt, socks, sneakers, and the UNDERPANTS I had worn to bed! My work day doesn't start until 10am and my teens homeschool and can be up at 9ish so those 7am alarms are tough for me these days.

I think Dave and his trainers are awesome. He's got a good thing going there. :thumbsup:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1199 times
Has gotten kudos: 1138 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 00:48

It's been about two months now. I've hurt my back once and it took me a few days to recover enough to do the full 30-min morning workout.

The numbers on the scale haven't budged much but my slacks are fitting a little more loosely, there is a little bit of definition on my arms ("triceps" the girls tell me), and on my outer thighs.

My weak spot is still my belly and my hips but I guess that's common with women anyway and always the last bit to go.

My eating habits haven't changed a whole lot apart from having protein shakes for breakfast either just before my workout for energy, or as soon as I get home, which is sometimes 30 min after workout. Fewer carbs and less sugar, but still indulging in my sugary coffees and the occasional treat.

Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]

These users gave kudos to the author Just Jennifer for the post (total 2):
Toad (Sun Jun 17, 2018 13:51) • jimipresley (Sun Jun 17, 2018 06:02)
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1825 times
Has gotten kudos: 319 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54

Well done, JJ. I would strongly recommend taking up a martial art if you have time. It doesn't matter which one. They seem to work with pretty much everyone (Steven Segal being an obvious exception to the rule).

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Sun Jun 17, 2018 14:51) • Toad (Sun Jun 17, 2018 13:51)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 552 times
Has gotten kudos: 879 times

Previous

Return to Health & Fitness