Tips for a new Auntie

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Tips for a new Auntie

Postby Icon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:19

No, not me. My sister! I'm going to be an auntie. But it is my little sister we are talking about. She's really not into veggies, and I was thinking, well, there are folic acid supplements for that. That is the extend of my knowledge. We do have a doctor in the family -one of our brothers- but he says she might listen to me more as I am her sister. Now, the problem is that this is a field where my experience is limited to wiping noses and asses, semi keeping the peace and other when the baby is already out kind of stuff.

Any ideas as to what can I buy here in Taiwan that would be a good idea for her as a present, or suggest her to buy over there in the ol country, and most importantly, tips about her health. She's barely a month over and they tell me she's eating like there is no tomorrow -which even I know it is a no-no.

Oh, I am so looking forward to buying cutie cutie stuff!
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Re: Tips for new moms to be

Postby divea » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:50

Congrats Aunty Icon!

Let her eat. Her appetite will wane once the puking sets in. :grin: Sometimes its late.

Now, I had both my children sans supplements and I didn't bother going to the docs because I was kinda stupid. But I think her doc will LATER put her on iron + calcium which she would continue even after child birth. Advice wise? Mostly be careful in the first trimester because that is the most vulnerable time, so no lifting heavy objects and no partying in heels all night long and well no alcohol or smoking. Common sensical thingies. But let the girl have her caffeine and normal diet. If you really think she is eating a lot, keep her away from sugars and please tell her to WALK. Everyday. Invest now in some really comfortable shoes that will get her through all the seasons and a few months post pregnancy. I mean seriously you want comfy shoes with a new kiddo.

If you can?? Gift her a reclining chair. She will be grateful for ever. Those months when she won't be able to lie down or sit up, the recliner will come handy and ofcourse for all the time the kiddo needs to be rocked to sleep. A good body pillow will also support your sis. Once the mother's all comfy and happy, the baby becomes easy!

For the baby? Jennifer here, usually has some lovely bracelets for the li'l girls. For the boys? I like the silver charm bracelets on the red threads, available at your run of the mill jeweler. Very TW!!

Kids don't need a lot usually, but onesies, wet wipes, diapers, baby soaps are de rigeur. Again for the mum, a baby bjorn carrier or a sling are good. Look out for rummage sale deals on these things. Infact rummage sales are good for clothes too, coz babies outgrow everything within weeks. Other than that, it's car seats and strollers but that your sister should buy as and when and if the need arises. :grin:

Again keep an eye out for deals and ask people to give you things they no longer use. Or tell her to.

It''s great to have new family member..happiness all around!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde

These users gave kudos to the author divea for the post:
Toad (Wed Nov 27, 2013 13:19)
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Toad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 13:19

Advice? Don't have another one. :grin:

Apart from that, there's a good book called The Baby Whisperer. Fairly sensible, down-to-earth advice. I imagine it's available in Spanish.

If sister's "not into veggies", and eating like there's no tomorrow, maybe Icon could give her a recipe-of-the-week? Get her interested in creating stuff? Obviously, I have no clue about your sister's habits, but some people just don't know what to do with vegetables, and it seems like you're a pretty good cook. There is no supplement that can make up for a bad diet, whatever the pill companies would like you to believe.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby Icon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 13:56

We're sisters. She won't cook, either. Thank goodness her Mom is retired, that's where she's stuffing her face.

She's very tza zhao, high maintenance some may say. Hubby runs around getting her what she wants and she's now in the everything hurts, oh woe me phase... and not even first trimester. Furniture is easy to get there, custom made is cheap. I'll tell him to get her the recliner. :grin:

Will tell her about body pillow. I remember a friend saying that is a life saver.

Yes, please, let me know names of books I can get for her. Books are expensive over there, but she likes to read a lot. Runs in the family.

Shoes would be fantastic to get for her. I know for sure she won't find as comfy in the ol country, plus she favors high heels -we ain't tall.

It is good though that on my father's side people do not drink nor smoke, and her husband does not either, so we are good on that regard. Definitively calcium, or else teeth will fall off, and I don't mean the kids! We do favor drinking a lot of milk and eat a lot of cheese, but as I said, she's not a friend of spinach and kale. Once I cooked veggies at her house, she almost kicked me out! Well, that will have to change, sweetheart.

Dunno how available the baby bjorns are in the ol country. I always found it frustrating how women were always carrying baby in their arms, plus bags and stuff, and get on buses like pack mules -becoming pick pocket heaven. Not affordable the bjorn over there, I think, but I will ask if it is too expensive over there I can send it from here, I think strapping the kid is a lot safer.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Toad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 14:05

well ... best source of iron is red meat, so she might be OK in that regard. Do people like liver'n'onions in the ol' country?

People often change their outlook on life quite radically when they get kids. Kids sort of change your priorities - they teach you what's important and what isn't, so she might be more receptive to a bit of sisterly advice re. diet and long-term health (her's and baby's).
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby sandman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 14:13

I recall that my wife fell in love with a thing called a "snail cushion" or something like that. It was a long, thin cushion that was like all coiled up like a -- you guessed it! -- snail. But you could stretch it out and cuddle around it, shove bits of it between your legs (REALLY useful when the belly swells up and you have to sleep on your side). Once the parasite pops out, you can use it as a baby resting station. They love it. Available at most baby stores. Usually right close to hospitals. We got ours right outside Cardinal Tien hospital in Xindian. Walking distance for you, I believe.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Nov 27, 2013 14:45

If she won't eat her veggies, get her on a daily vit-min supplement with folic acid. Get your mom to blend some non-starchy veggies in with gazpacho, and to add it to soups like cocido for her.

Baby bjorn is nicer than a sling IMO.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 532 times
Has gotten kudos: 1052 times

Postby Icon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 15:49

Toad wrote:well ... best source of iron is red meat, so she might be OK in that regard. Do people like liver'n'onions in the ol' country?

People often change their outlook on life quite radically when they get kids. Kids sort of change your priorities - they teach you what's important and what isn't, so she might be more receptive to a bit of sisterly advice re. diet and long-term health (her's and baby's).

I love it, but she won't have it. She's very finicky but at least she can have steak with grilled onions.

Dragonbones wrote:If she won't eat her veggies, get her on a daily vit-min supplement with folic acid. Get your mom to blend some non-starchy veggies in with gazpacho, and to add it to soups like cocido for her.

Baby bjorn is nicer than a sling IMO.

Might try blends but I recall the woman is not too fond of soups, either, ayayayayaayay.

sandman wrote:I recall that my wife fell in love with a thing called a "snail cushion" or something like that. It was a long, thin cushion that was like all coiled up like a -- you guessed it! -- snail. But you could stretch it out and cuddle around it, shove bits of it between your legs (REALLY useful when the belly swells up and you have to sleep on your side). Once the parasite pops out, you can use it as a baby resting station. They love it. Available at most baby stores. Usually right close to hospitals. We got ours right outside Cardinal Tien hospital in Xindian. Walking distance for you, I believe.

Yep, was just there browsing around last night, but there is just so much stuff... and I tend to buy the wrong stuff. I once bought a breast pump for a coworker and I thought electric was better, but it seems if your nipples are too sensitive the stuff can be painful so it is better a manual pump.

Please keep ideas coming.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 17:16

Icon wrote:I once bought a breast pump for a coworker and I thought electric was better, but it seems if your nipples are too sensitive the stuff can be painful so it is better a manual pump.

He probably thought you were strange. Those things are meant for use by women.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby Icon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 18:17

sandman wrote:
Icon wrote:I once bought a breast pump for a coworker and I thought electric was better, but it seems if your nipples are too sensitive the stuff can be painful so it is better a manual pump.

He probably thought you were strange. Those things are meant for use by women.

You're evil, evil! :lol:
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 16:56

So, my sister says she's having some pregnancy "pains", but not morning sickness, but rather headaches, which I would associated with high blood pressure but she says it is fine.

However, those have not turned her off from planning to go to Disneyland in a month or two. :eek: I do not think that is a good idea, even if she does not get into any rides -there is the plane ride involved already. But she says if she doesn't do it now, she won't be able when the baby comes, bla bla bla... *sigh*

Kid is scheduled for July, which is high season here and there. Lovely.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 15:41

AHHHH!!!! Now my third brother's wife is pregnant!!! There will be two babies in the family! I am going to go broke!!! Going back will be unavoidable... and the "where is yours?" questions inevitable. Hope my second brother can hold the fort, if they break... I am doomed.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Just Jennifer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 01:38

No idea where this thread came from. Only seeing it now for the first time, sorry!

Congrats!

All good ideas from the others.

I think slings are more comfortable than front / back packs--find some here on the sale forums cheap but like new, send her one of each. Only one way to use a baby bjorn! But loads of ways to use a sling.

Other only thing no one's mentioned yet is good music :-) lullabies, playtime songs, musical story books. If you ever decide to gift baby with some CDs I can give you some ideas.

Have fun!
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby divea » Thu Dec 19, 2013 02:23

Just Jennifer wrote:Other only thing no one's mentioned yet is good music :-) lullabies, playtime songs, musical story books.

Have fun!

True that. The husband and I but mostly the husband was the singer in the family and I read to the children so I forgot that it does not come naturally to a lot of people, and even if it does a good quota of start up ideas is always a good gift. :thumbsup:
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Icon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37

JJ: will try to figure what is a sling and what a bjorn. Only slings I've seen are for pets. :lol:

Divea: on my father's side, musical ability is lacking. Good thing is that they have plenty of free time, so they can play stuff for the kids in utero, in peace and calmly... for now. :wink:
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth