Preparation Checklist

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jun 01, 2003 14:56

My doctor told me on Friday to please pack masks in my hospital bag.
Anonymous

Postby fressias » Mon Jun 02, 2003 23:47

I did tear, and did get some stitches for the tearing, but the wound healed much quicker than the episiotomy from the previous birth, and it wasn't painful or uncomfortable at all. Deana

i'm trying at all cost to avoid any episiotomy with this pregnancy , my first pregnancy i got a forced episiotomy :evil: , it was very painful, it took a while to heal and i couldn't even sit down. for my second pregnancy i didn't need one and i was walking in no time... at least there' someone that says the tear will heal quicker, i've been reading a lot about episiotomies and all of them say that an episiotomy will heal quicker than a tear, and for many years i've been skeptical about it.... well now i got some reassurance that's not always the case... :)

They aren't telling me everything are they. Guest

hey guest, i don't think it's that they are not telling you everything, perhaps it's that they r not as aware of the many details of pregnancy , labor and birth...women do forget things with time, perhaps if you ask as many questions as you can , they might remember and let you know, tell you all about it ... :)
fressias
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

thanks!

Postby fressias » Mon Jun 02, 2003 23:52

ufff! i forgot to post my thanks !!! :oops: sorry!!! well, thanks to all the wonderful mom's that posted the things we need to bring to the hospital stay, and sort of what to expect when time comes ...
it's been (and still is) a great help!!! :D

alice
fressias
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Deana » Tue Jun 03, 2003 07:34

at least there' someone that says the tear will heal quicker, i've been reading a lot about episiotomies and all of them say that an episiotomy will heal quicker than a tear, and for many years i've been skeptical about it.... well now i got some reassurance that's not always the case... icon_smile.gif

Yes, I had also read that doctors who favored episiotomies thought they were "neater" (neater for the doctor to stitch up?) and healed better than tearing. But I did find a book by a British/Canadian midwife who was very much opposed to episiotomies because, in her experience, tears healed better and women felt less traumatised by them (I cannot remember either the name of the book or of the author :oops:). This turned out to be exactly the case for me, having experienced both tearing and an episiotomy. Perhaps it also has something to do with how badly one tears... although I'm sure that no baby's head is so big that it's going to do serious damage in coming out - especially with the help of a good doctor or midwife in massaging and stretching the perineal muscles :) .
Deana
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Marie » Sun Jun 08, 2003 18:55

I just read in a book by a British authour that riping heals better than cutting. And cutting should only be done in the most absolutely necessary cases. I also followed that up by asking my OB GYN nurse cousin and she agreed as well. So there you have it rip away girls. Does any one know how often the doctors here use forceps as an aid for dilivery?
Marie
Taiwanease Gentry

forceps in Taiwan

Postby lnlhansen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 06:22

I recently talked to my doctor (I'm 18weeks) about the use of forceps here and he said about only two hospitals in Taiwan use them. That was really reasurring!
lnlhansen
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby tinster » Thu Apr 19, 2007 21:59

so....there is some good info here, but I was wondering if there is more updates from new/old users who have given birth in a Taiwanese hospital.

I'm going to have my second one in November in that water-birth hospital in Sinjhuang and this will be my first in Taiwan.

any good advise about what to remember to bring, ask, demand when having one at a non-native speaking hospital (at least for me, I read only the doctors speak english).

My first was born in Denmark, and I had a long delivery and 10 min away from c-section, but the midwives were amazing!! Calm, gentle and very helpfull telling me how everything was going and what I should do, how to breathe....
I got a copy of the birth-journal, so I'd be able to read about it afterwards.
A nice little souvernier I think ;)

I guess I need good AND bad thoughts from you guys.
What you liked and what you didn't liked about given birth here.

Thanks so much
Tine
tinster
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: Preparation Checklist

Postby sunshine » Thu Aug 20, 2015 19:15

I've put together a check list for what to pack in your hospital bag on my blog. Hope it helps all the expat mommies out there: http://wingstofly.me/2015/08/19/what-to-pack-in-your-hospital-bag-taiwan-expat-mommy-edition/
sunshine
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 19:52

What a cute blog and your page on What to Bring is much prettier (and complete lol) than the one I used to have here years ago.

Thank you for sharing and please do share more!
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1836 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby sunshine » Thu Aug 20, 2015 19:57

aw thanks so much :)
sunshine
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times